ADVERTISEMENT

K retiring after this year

I like Scheyer but you don't want to set the guy up for failure either. That's one heck of a first job.

I like Scheyer, but I think Capel deserves it. He was part of making Duke cool again on the recruiting trail and he has head coaching and NCAA Tournament experience. If you love experience, Scheyer isn’t the man for the job at the moment.

It was inevitable at some point, but doesn't make it any easier to digest. I really thought he was going to be around a few more years beyond next season, although that might be chalked up to blind optimism.

Even when you know something is coming at some point it's still like a punch in the gut. A large majority of the Duke fanbase are fans because of him. We might not think it, but we are. Incredible, incredible legacy.

I'm excited for Jon. It's going to be an immense challenge and he's running up against not-so-great odds over history, but he's the guy and deserves our full support. There's no doubt that while inexperienced as a head coach and leading a program, he's also had the opportunity to learn from one of the very best ever. I'll take those chances.

Glad to see K retire. A legend, deciding for himself. He’s adapted probably better than anyone that has coached as long as he has.
But there comes a point where you just say enough is enough. I’m there as a fan, and he’s 25 years older than I am. The recruiting of the kids nowadays, the new transfer situation, and possibly players getting paid? College basketball is turning into a circus.
That has had to take its toll on the man.

Coach K is currently at 1,170 all-time wins. A 30-win season (which isn’t far fetched) this season would put him at 1,200 all-time. He currently has 1,097 at Duke alone, so 3 more will give him 1,100 just at Duke. He could hit two milestones in one next year in wins alone. A Final Four will give him the most of all time breaking John Wooden’s record of 12.

*Edit- 3 more wins in the NCAA Tournament (get to the Elite 8) will get Coach K to exactly 100 NCAA Tournament wins, the most all-time.

Last edited:
Also, don’t get me wrong, even though Capel is my choice, I will support Scheyer and wish him luck!

Reactions: skysdad
Of course I will support Scheyer. If he is the right choice we will have a good coach for years to come. But it is a risky hire. But coach K thinks he is the right guy for the job so I will trust in that. He needs an experienced assistant.

I like the hire and hope Scheyer does well. But with Stevens taking the front office job and reading he is worn out from coaching, I suspect after a few years of rest he will be ready to coach again. If Scheyer does not do as well as we all hope, I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke go after Stevens in 5 years. But hopefully Scheyer does well and it won't matter. I think he will do well.

Jon has my full support. He is Duke ready. feel Coach K has groomed him for the transition but that is just my opinion. He and Nolan came in together and Nolan is gonna be a big part of the program until he is ready to move on to his own program if he chooses. I know a lot of Duke fans wanted someone outside the brotherhood but Jon is very capable. I expect the season following Coach K's last that there will be lots of opinions on this board and face book groups that will know more than Jon about winning the games we lost just like they did with Coach K. They are what they are keyboard pecking recliner coaches. OFC

All the while eating a big ole can of Peckers Potted Meat.

Reactions: Mac9192
I’m 43. I dont remember a Duke without Coach K. I knew it was coming but I still wasn’t ready. If this doesn’t make the team fired up this year, nothing ever will. Now maybe this would change Hurts mind?? I do t know if he ca still come back or not

Reactions: ceilo77
To be honest with recruits
That’s what I was thinking. It could also be why we haven’t had any commitments from the class of 2022 because Coach K might’ve decided to let his replacement pick which recruits he wants to go after.

I was pretty much shot down on this board about a month ago when I said that i thought this might be K’s last seasons due to the lack of recruiting for 2022. I was right but man I really wish I wasn’t. He’s been at Duke my whole life and when I think Duke, I think Coach K. He’s had such a successful career and I’m happy for him. Really hope we can make one last run for him and send him off with a title.

As for Scheyer, I think it was the correct hire. Scheyer has a chance to be a great coach and I think we’d all be pissed if he went off and became great elsewhere. It’s a huge shoe to fill but I think Jon will be great. Recruiting may take a hit but in my opinion not a very big one. Scheyer is great on the recruiting trail and will land his fair share of big names. Duke is still Duke. Kids see that name and want to be apart of it. The big question for Scheyer is how does he do in games? Guess we’ll just have to see. Overall though, I’m very happy for both K and Scheyer.

Reactions: Liftee
It was always Scheyer as the next coach at Duke. He had ample opportunity to leave the program but stayed.
it’s being reported now that Brad Stevens has been burnt out from coaching since the bubble and had no thought or returning to college hoops as a coach.
I support Scheyer. With Nolan as an assistant there is not two better Duke players to leave the program with.
no go out with a bang K . One last ride.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I like the hire and hope Scheyer does well. But with Stevens taking the front office job and reading he is worn out from coaching, I suspect after a few years of rest he will be ready to coach again. If Scheyer does not do as well as we all hope, I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke go after Stevens in 5 years. But hopefully Scheyer does well and it won't matter. I think he will do well.
This is kinda where I’m at. Stevens may well have been contacted about this days before. It stands to reason that he used this to force Boston’s hand. And, that makes sense as, on paper, it’s a pretty inexplicable move on Boston’s part. Stevens has made it known the Duke job intrigues him. So, he gets to recharge his batteries and make a decision that’s best for him. Stay put — if he’s doing well, and a lot of his bargaining power hinges on this — or leave. And if he leaves, he can go virtually anywhere he wants, be it to Duke or elsewhere.

A lot has been said about Stevens being an NBA guy. They point out the fact that IU offered him and he turned them down. Well… that was IU, and this is Duke. It’s not shocking that he didn’t want to be the guy who followed Krzyzewski. Again, you’re more or less set up to fail. So, be the redeemer and not the guy who came before. In other words, be Roy Williams and not Doherty.

I’m not saying that Scheyer is going to be Doh! I’m saying that, statistically and historically, the odds are there.

I hope Scheyer succeeds, I think there is a chance he succeeds, but I certainly don't think he is a slam dunk hire. But Coach K knows more than me about this.

Reactions: Liftee
Exactly. I just hope the cover won’t be bare when Coach J takes over
That’s what I was thinking. It could also be why we haven’t had any commitments from the class of 2022 because Coach K might’ve decided to let his replacement pick which recruits he wants to go afte

I think the key with Scheyer is going to be patience. I'm happy for him, but Duke fans are going to have to be patient - and the Duke AD is going to have to be patient as well.

I think 4-5 years is what he needs and I would want him to have plenty of time to build the kind of team he wants. I mean, last year, K was 13-11. This year will be better for sure - but still, Jon needs time to build his program.

I like Jon a lot but I don’t think he was the correct pick. I’ll gladly eat my words. Chris Collins or Tommy should have got the call.
Why? Amaker has no pressure on him at Harvard and what has Collins accomplished as a head Coach at North Western?

Reactions: tw3301 and KDSTONE
Scheyer has Coach K's endorsement. That's good enough for me. It will be VERY interesting how recruiting goes for 2022. I'm willing to give Scheyer some time though, just like we did with Coach K.
John is one of the main recruiters on the K bench. Everyone acts as if K won’t be a phone call away for Scheyer or still involved with the program.

Reactions: ceilo77
Great hire guys I love it. But if Duke is known for being really smart they should have thrown the money bags at Stevens😂💰
People need to get over Brad Stevens. We’re lucky if you see the man coach again. Not only is he taking Ainges position but it’s being reported he has been burnt out with coaching since the bubble.

I have so much to say about Coach K that I’ll need to save it for when my head is back on straight.

But I absolutely love the Scheyer hire. Don’t love how much it is going to cost for UNC tickets next year.

Reactions: sheyduke
Jon has my full support. He is Duke ready. feel Coach K has groomed him for the transition but that is just my opinion. He and Nolan came in together and Nolan is gonna be a big part of the program until he is ready to move on to his own program if he chooses. I know a lot of Duke fans wanted someone outside the brotherhood but Jon is very capable. I expect the season following Coach K's last that there will be lots of opinions on this board and face book groups that will know more than Jon about winning the games we lost just like they did with Coach K. They are what they are keyboard pecking recliner coaches. OFC

Im with you. Think the point regarding Nolan is the most important mentioned. Not sure that he sticks around for long if the hire isn’t Scheyer. Even if another former Duke player like Amaker was chosen by the search committee, think they would want to bring a lot of their own people with them. K would’ve made sure Nolan still had his role, but I think that he would leave fairly quickly.

People need to get over Brad Stevens. We’re lucky if you see the man coach again. Not only is he taking Ainges position but it’s being reported he has been burnt out with coaching since the bubble.
Well said. Moreover, idk if Brad was ever a serious contender. I’m happy the job stayed in house. K knows what he’s doing

It's going to be quite different with the coaches at Duke, Carolina (and likely Syracuse, too, very soon) having the youngest coaches in the ACC.

Fans of all 3 schools have had a good, long ride. Let's hope the new era isn't too painful while the dust settles.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT