ADVERTISEMENT

Just enjoy....

BD Warrior

Recruit
Sep 20, 2006
Just sit back and enjoy this 8 min video. I was lucky enough to be at a few of these games. You really don't realize how athletic and powerful he is till you see him in person. It's all dunks but that's what this kid does best. Some are really incredible. The one at 1:51 especially. We got a steal Duke fans. This kid will be a human highlight reel for many years to come and he will always have Duke's name tied to him. Welcome Zion...

I wish he didn't do the stare down every time he dunked...then again about 80% of those deserve stare downs, so it's gotta be hard for him deciding which 20% don't get stare downs, so I guess he just decided to always do a stare down.

1st off let me say I'm thrilled Zion is coming to Duke and this is some impressive high light video and that it is showing his strength for our enjoyment. But I counted him scoring 116 points all off dunks. He had about 2 or 3 blocked shots and around five steals. Did not see any jump shots from the three point line or anywhere else. No free throw attempts. #4 did have probably 40 assist though. Once again I'm thrilled he is a Dukie but for once I would like to see a high light video of a recruit playing D, rebounding, knocking down free throws and shooting the ball from outside. He's gonna bring the rafters down at Cameron with some of his crowd pleasing dunks but unless he can show another part of his game he won't be getting a lot of dunk opportunities. And the stare down has to go. I do however believe that he does have more game than this video shows and Coach K and staff know that. OFC

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
1st off let me say I'm thrilled Zion is coming to Duke and this is some impressive high light video and that it is showing his strength for our enjoyment. But I counted him scoring 116 points all off dunks. He had about 2 or 3 blocked shots and around five steals. Did not see any jump shots from the three point line or anywhere else. No free throw attempts. #4 did have probably 40 assist though. Once again I'm thrilled he is a Dukie but for once I would like to see a high light video of a recruit playing D, rebounding, knocking down free throws and shooting the ball from outside. He's gonna bring the rafters down at Cameron with some of his crowd pleasing dunks but unless he can show another part of his game he won't be getting a lot of dunk opportunities. And the stare down has to go. I do however believe that he does have more game than this video shows and Coach K and staff know that. OFC

You must have not read my original post. This video is only dunks. A reporter asked him once if he gets mad at people saying he can only do one thing. His response was that they should watch him in person because mixtapes are there for the highlights, not jump shots and free throws. I've seen him live and he has a nice stroke that will get better at Duke. You don't average close to 40 a game on dunks. If you look up the greats like Vince Carter or LeBron you will mostly see the spectacular dunks, not jump shots. Zion doesn't need to average 40 per next season. I would be stoked with 15 a night on all poster dunks. I get what you are saying skysdad, but he's going to be fine.

Reactions: Dattier and skysdad
You must have not read my original post. This video is only dunks. A reporter asked him once if he gets mad at people saying he can only do one thing. His response was that they should watch him in person because mixtapes are there for the highlights, not jump shots and free throws. I've seen him live and he has a nice stroke that will get better at Duke. You don't average close to 40 a game on dunks. If you look up the greats like Vince Carter or LeBron you will mostly see the spectacular dunks, not jump shots. Zion doesn't need to average 40 per next season. I would be stoked with 15 a night on all poster dunks. I get what you are saying skysdad, but he's going to be fine.

I know I just want to see a video of someone who does other things. Every time we wee one it's dunking. I don't just mean Zion. I remember several years ago when Semi's vid came out. Nothing but dunks but he did develop after he got to college because he worked on other things and now he's playing in the NBA. I'm sure Zion knows he's going to do more than dunk at Duke. OFC

I know I just want to see a video of someone who does other things. Every time we wee one it's dunking. I don't just mean Zion. I remember several years ago when Semi's vid came out. Nothing but dunks but he did develop after he got to college because he worked on other things and now he's playing in the NBA. I'm sure Zion knows he's going to do more than dunk at Duke. OFC

@skysdad check this out

I just watched an entire game he played and he is a great passer and ball handler.

I’m super excited about getting him.. the only thing that concerns me with that video is, Zion is 6’6”/6’7” and I don’t think I saw one person on the court with him that was taller than 6’3”..

Are there any videos of him playing against defenders that are closer to his height or taller?

Granted, Joe, but in a way, that almost makes it more impressive. In that championship video, he is quicker to the ball than guys who weigh a 100 lbs less than him. He is faster and dribbles around guys who should be quicker than him. He isnt bullying the smaller, lighter guys, he is out quickimg them. He is out skilling them! He is going around them not tjrough them. His handle looks amazing.

I am very VERY impressed with his quickness, speed and explosion for a guy his size! His bounce is straight stupid!

Reactions: 500HP_Devil
I’m super excited about getting him.. the only thing that concerns me with that video is, Zion is 6’6”/6’7” and I don’t think I saw one person on the court with him that was taller than 6’3”..

Are there any videos of him playing against defenders that are closer to his height or taller?

He dominated AAU as well with guys his size. He was apparently the same way USA basketball. He's good

He dominated AAU as well with guys his size. He was apparently the same way USA basketball. He's good

A 6'6 270 pound basketball player is going to have a hard time finding like sized competition in the high school level. A 6'3 HS guard will get bullied because of Zion's weight and a 6'10 HS Center will not be able to keep up with Zion's athletic ability and speed.

He is just going to be a human mismatch no matter who he guards or who guards him.

6'6
270 pounds
7'0 wingspan
46 inch vert (not confirmed)

I would compare him to is Bonzie Colson and with more athletic ability than Colson.

Colson is 6'5 230 7 foot wingspan

Before his injury Colson was averaging 21.4 points and 10.4 rebounds a game and that includes only make 11 3-pointers through 14 games.

If you're not overly impressed with Zion's ability, then I don't think you understand what kind over power and explosiveness it takes to move 270 pounds like that. I always thought you had to be very lean to jump like that. I have never seen a kid in high school that big that could move like that. He's got a great in and out dribble and I think he will be a great shot blocker as well. He is constantly being grabbed on offense. Actually I think his game wil be even better at the college level. I can't wait to see him in Duke blue!

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
I still cannot believe we got this kid. He is a monster plain and simple and I think he has incredible quickness and ball handling for a big kid with a couple extra lbs. Can you imagine him with a good summer conditioning and weight room season under his belt?

He is going to bring the house DOWN next season. I cannot wait.

Reactions: skysdad
You guys sound like you're disappointed he came to Duke. He's not a shooter. We all know that. He's a power player and a freak athlete. Quit being so damn pessimistic and be thankful Duke just added a once in lifetime talent.

Reactions: DukefanKY
You guys sound like you're disappointed he came to Duke. He's not a shooter. We all know that. He's a power player and a freak athlete. Quit being so damn pessimistic and be thankful Duke just added a once in lifetime talent.
Who sounds like that?

Reactions: Dad2ze
I always enjoy the, ah he only plays little HS kids comments but fellas, are you looking at this kid? You don't think he can dunk on a tall defender? Jesus Christ the kid brings down the frigging thunder every time he gets near the rim. Stop it.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Something that stands out to me on all his dunking highlight reels is how far he can be from the basket when he starts his jump. What's his reach? His wingspan is 7'0". That a body that size can cover so much area in the air is just nuts.

The video of nothing but dunks gets boring for me eventually b/c I know it's a highlight reel of dunks and he's going to make them all. Very impressive, but redundant. What kept me watching it through to the end, though, was watching him handle the ball in the open court. Very impressive.

I like the state championship video more, just b/c it's more real, more well-rounded. I'm sure all those lay-ins at the rim were anticlimactic for people who wanted to see another dunk, but those demonstrate touch around the rim in addition to the power, so I liked seeing that. It was good to see at least a little passing, too.

Reactions: Showenuff
I just watched an entire game he played and he is a great passer and ball handler.
As I said before he played for my son.My son tells me the best part of his game is his ball handling and passing ability.Says he is a decent not great shooter but is totally unselfish.

How does this kid have that much hop at 270? Here comes the most freakish athlete K has ever landed.
In my recollection, he'd be challenging BI for the title of freak athlete. They couldn't be more different for their builds, but they are both really unique physically and it translates into such amazing, unique styles.

Who cares if he can shoot it or not? We’ll have plenty of shooters next season. Just take it to the hole and try not to hurt anyone big fella.

Like I said earlier, that champ video is amazing. His quicknes and handle in traffic! Dribbling around and through traffic where smaller guys who are lower to the ground sold ave the advntage. And someone just mentiond his toucharond he rim. Very underappreciated skill for a big. Heck, if McRoberts had any kind of touch, we win at leat 5 more games his second year and he would have been a superstar his second year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT