ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS KENTUCKY CHAMPIONS CLASSIC OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Guys, that was insane. Those three freshman have ridiculous chemistry and are completely unselfish.

Also, yeah Zion gets all the hype but RJ is ridiculous.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I was really worried about foul trouble with our bigs this season. But then RJ, Zion, and Cam combined for 83 points against the #2 team in the country. Pft who needs five guys, anyway?

Reactions: Dattier
I still can’t get over what I just watched. Never seen a debut like that. I’m sure we’ll falter at some point (maybe we won’t) but my god this talent level is above anything I’ve seen in the OAD era. Including 2012 Kentucky and 2015 Duke.

I know one thing. Andy Katz had Duke not even making the elite eight in his tournament bracket this year. I’m sure that will change very soon!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
What I liked most about this game is we took control early and had a sustained lead the whole game. We scored exactly the points in the second have as the 1st. and allowed the same number of points to UK both halves. We doubled our lead against the #2 ranked team in the country. Last night we not only stepped on the roach and crushed it we grinded it into the floor until it was just a smudge. Now I don't think we will play this well for the entire season. We will lose. I don't know how many but we will lose. This was full throttle from the opening whistle to the buzzer. Cal looked like he had just woke up from an surgery procedure coming off anesthesia. That's the way I pretty much felt coming out of surgery yesterday. Totally out of it. We won't when every game this year but if we play hard like last night all year it's going to be we aren't hitting shots that night. OFC

Smh. This is a shame. I apologize for saying we would only win by 15. I stick by my prediction that we will have three 20-point scorers this year. I just can't see us being stopped. I'm really trying to invision it but I can't. My UNC friends already threw in the towel. The best stat of the night: 22 assists to 4 turnovers. BEAUTIFUL. Tre is a seasoned vet. I'm not going to start on RJ, Zion and Cam. Would be typing all night

Plus, almost none of our TOs were the catastrophic kind. I don't care about a walk, or losing the ball out of bounds, or even really the offensive foul variety (beyond the negative impact of an extra foul). If the other team has to take the ball out of bounds, it doesn't hurt that much.
Live ball TOs are the killers. They lead to breakouts, and Duke's transition D is likely to be, at the least, a (relative) weakness. Our lone live ball TO last night lead to a quick and easy bucket for UK. If we don't have many of those, we good.

Reid Travis celebrates layup.....

kdVlvR7x.jpg

Rumor around Lexington is that Richards is still looking for his lunch that Zion stole and Travis is seeking post game counseling full of regrets due to life choices over the past year.
I just left the trama center after 6 hours straight trying to get Richards to stop crying in the fetal position about having his ball stole by Zion.

Reactions: dukehokie
Did last nights game count on our record, or was it an exhibition as well?....asking for a friend.
LMFAO QC. I wasn't sure myself, but one thing I am confident in. Duke embarrassed that fan base, the team, coaches, and any unborn kids at this moment.

you take a look at that head bob sequence, twins I'm tellin ya!

Cal, in the presser, said both these statements:

"For those three freshman, they're so good that they're [the coaching staff] not really running much for them."

And

"I got out coached."

Pick one.

It can't be both? Perhaps this was a bit of a Freudian slip about his in game coaching skills?
:)

And I know we went to zone the last 6 minutes of the game to try to end the game quicker, but it was more than decent looking. I think it caused 3 turnovers IIRC and a deflection. We certainly may have to employ that if our Big 4 get in foul trouble.

Reactions: QC Dukie
The meltdown is still in full force on RR. They’ve started a new thread about the wiretaps being brought up during the first corruption trial regarding Zion’s dad or stepdad supposedly asking for cash, a house and a job to get Zion to go to Kansas. They just can’t accept that their team got outplayed and out coached. It’s becoming comical. I can’t wait to see what the meltdown topic will be tomorrow.

Jack White was AMAZING in that game. Even with a bunch of plays that WONT show up in the box score... tips, hustles, helps on rebounds... even that out of bounds save.

Zion is an animal. Unstoppable.

RJ just scores. Wow.

Love seeing Bolden play well.

I ALREADY feel TOTALLY comfortable with Tre at PG. Like, one hundred percent. It really feels so much like Tyus out there.
It's so nice to have a real PG for the first time in 4 years, reminds me so much of his brother as well.

You didn't mention Cam - he might of played the best game of the big 3, especially with his D. Crazy that a player that good can get overlooked. We have an insane amount of talent on this team.

It's so nice to have a real PG for the first time in 4 years, reminds me so much of his brother as well.

You didn't mention Cam - he might of played the best game of the big 3, especially with his D. Crazy that a player that good can get overlooked. We have an insane amount of talent on this team.

Cam was excellent last night. Kahwi Leonard is a reasonable comparison. Cam needs to get stronger, but he's got elite defensive potential/instincts, and could be a great and well rounded scorer. He won't ever be the driver or pure scorer that RJ or Zion is, but Cam could be a better (and possibly MUCH better) perimeter shooter, as well as Cam being more of a distributor than either of those other guys.
So, Leonard, or even Scottie Pippen, are legit comps for Cam. It is early, but he's got that potential. He shut down whoever he was on vs UK. A perimeter stopper, alongside a capable defensive PG (which we haven't really seen for 10+ years) bodes very well.

Cam was excellent last night. Kahwi Leonard is a reasonable comparison. Cam needs to get stronger, but he's got elite defensive potential/instincts, and could be a great and well rounded scorer. He won't ever be the driver or pure scorer that RJ or Zion is, but Cam could be a better (and possibly MUCH better) perimeter shooter, as well as Cam being more of a distributor than either of those other guys.
So, Leonard, or even Scottie Pippen, are legit comps for Cam. It is early, but he's got that potential. He shut down whoever he was on vs UK. A perimeter stopper, alongside a capable defensive PG (which we haven't really seen for 10+ years) bodes very well.

I really like Cam. I think him being around RJ and Zion will force that killer mentality to come out of him because he doesn’t want to be left behind. He’s going to defend at a high level and his offense is already advanced

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT