ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS KENTUCKY CHAMPIONS CLASSIC OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I guess the only thing to be concerned about later on are fouls and depth?

I mean this is true. And by February there will be a book on how to slow them down.

But for now all the check marks look good.

- Make them drive: Check, please do.
- Do they have shooters: Um...duh
- Rebounding: It comes from a land down under
- Defense: For days.
- Depth: Funny you should ask...
-Stay hungry?: K is a master motivator and these guys do a good job of policing themselves. RJ is hungrier than a hostage and Zion is fat so of course he likes to eat. They will slip a few times this year, but it won’t be because someone is better.

Plus, our weaker FT shooters were Zion and RJ, aka the two most likely to shoot the most FTS.

5-7 and 4-8. It’ll get better. Cam offset it with a nice 7-7. 20-29 as a team which is nice. Not a problem in November as long as it improves.

I don't think I've ever seen a season opener and just thought, "Wow, that is the team to beat." And the thing is, you all will only get better. Kentucky had the most depth ya'll will face all year.

That was incredible. RJ Barrett and Zion are future NBA superstars. So smooth and can score any time they want to. Don't forget Cam Reddish. Stud as well.

Will be watching Duke every chance I get this year because that trio is just fun to watch. Ya'll play like that consistently and it's over with. I've never seen a team in game 1 pass it as well as ya'll did. Your all's team played like they were in mid-season form in game 1. Again, the connection between the players was unreal for the first game. Everyone was confident in each other and the pieces just meshed together so well.

Very impressive. G.L. on the season, even though I don't think you need it.

Now that the game is over I can mention this. I saw a thread on RR the other day about it being announced that Brad Calipari is redshirting this season because he plans to graduate in 3 years and by redshirting he will have 2 years of eligibility left while he’s in graduate school at Kentucky. I’m not sure if they were being serious or sarcastic but several RR posters gave off the impression that they were excited that he was redshirting for 2 reasons: 1) because it guarantees that Cal will be coaching there for at least 1 extra year and 2) because it’ll give them a point guard in case they don’t have a point guard on the team.

Cal, in the presser, said both these statements:

"For those three freshman, they're so good that they're [the coaching staff] not really running much for them."

And

"I got out coached."

Pick one.

20-29 is 69%. It's OK. Not great.

I’ll take it in November when some of your worst FT shooters are taking the shots. Jack and Cam will get their share when the game is on the line, and I’d be willing to bet RJ’s second half FT % all year will be higher than his first half. I’m not worried yet.

I get it. We have to find something.

Reactions: timo0402
Cal, in the presser, said both these statements:

"For those three freshman, they're so good that they're [the coaching staff] not really running much for them."

And

"I got out coached."

Pick one.
It sounded like one statement came out his ass and the other his mouth.

I’ll take it in November when some of your worst FT shooters are taking the shots. Jack and Cam will get their share when the game is on the line, and I’d be willing to bet RJ’s second half FT % all year will be higher than his first half. I’m not worried yet.

Did he not see us win? Lol some people

Reactions: Mac9192

These are the only nits I could (attempt) to pick.
With RJ, he seems to have a hard time calming down at the stripe. He'll get there, to where he's a 80% shooter. It won't happen at Duke, but I think he'll be OK.

Did he not see us win? Lol some people

His point is valid. In a tight game, you want to see your guys hit free throws. But the lesson should be learned not to underestimate what these kids can do. And maybe it takes a loss to get them hungry about the free throw line. But when it was said over and over again that RJ couldn’t shoot threes, he spent an entire summer honing one shot. Let just one person tell him he’s a bad free throw shooter and see what he does.

These are the only nits I could (attempt) to pick.
With RJ, he seems to have a hard time calming down at the stripe. He'll get there, to where he's a 80% shooter. It won't happen at Duke, but I think he'll be OK.

Gentleman’s bet. I bet he leaves Duke as a 75% FT shooter. Would you be ok with that? Because with his skill set, I’d love that.

Gentleman’s bet. I bet he leaves Duke as a 75% FT shooter. Would you be ok with that? Because with his skill set, I’d love that.

I don't bet, even the gentlemanly kind. If I bet on the Globetrotters, they'd lose and lose big. I hope you are correct.
I will say this, I think RJ will stroke the FTs win it counts.

Smh. This is a shame. I apologize for saying we would only win by 15. I stick by my prediction that we will have three 20-point scorers this year. I just can't see us being stopped. I'm really trying to invision it but I can't. My UNC friends already threw in the towel. The best stat of the night: 22 assists to 4 turnovers. BEAUTIFUL. Tre is a seasoned vet. I'm not going to start on RJ, Zion and Cam. Would be typing all night

Where is dachamp?......oh wait we’re winning

I'm convinced some of you have me mixed up with other people. I'm sure I'm one of the most biased and optimistic people on this board. I stated we would have three 20-point scorers this season a few days ago. C'mon man

He tried. Reddish played it well a couple times and the other time Reid set a moving screen

Cal needs to take a page out of Larry Brown’s infinite screen book and get Herro some baseline double screens. You have the make up of an awesome team if you let you point guards run the show. They’re capable.

Anyone that has seen me post knows o admit when I’m wrong and I show no bias. When I say things it what’s I think minus bias.

I’m glad you’re here and humble. Kudos for coming and taking the lumps. You guys will still be good this season. Very good.

Zion’s block where he pretty much just took the basketball away that led to a dunk made ESPN’s Top 10 plays but it was only #8 and that’s the only play from the game that made ESPN’s Top 10 plays.

Well,I was hoping for a statement win,but WOW.I'm not predicting 40-0 but if our kids play like this all year,who's gonna challenge us?R.J..Zion and Cam are unstoppable,Jack is a beast,Tre is so composed for a freshman,the only concern I see is foul trouble from our bigs,they have to play smarter,refs are calling games very tight

Reactions: Showenuff
Quite simply, that was scary good last night and hope we can build on it. The rebounding and getting out on the break was beautiful basketball.

Tre getting the offense into sets while not letting defender steer him in any way was eye opening.

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT