ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS KENTUCKY CHAMPIONS CLASSIC OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Every year when a new Duke season is upon us, I get my usual excitement, do a little reading on the team and hunker down for another great year of my favorite basketball team on the planet.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention, this is my 12th year being the official "Gameday Thread Starter" on DI, and I not only take my job seriously, I'm honored to hold the title (and am a two-time, gameday thread starting national champ lol. But really, whose counting?) :cool:

I'll admit, I've been pretty excited the last few years because of our recruiting classes and like many of us, have to admit, the season has n't ended quite how we like as Duke fans. I was lucky enough to be at the 2015 NC, but not having gone to the FF even since the championship, leaves us all hungry for more.

This year, this team, however, has me - and many of us that AVIDLY follow our Blue Devils - on a new level of expectation and excitement. I've absolutely LOVED the ESPN series, "Earn Everything". It's not only shown a side of the program we rarely get to see, but it's made it hard not to feel like you personally know some of these kids and truly are part of the program as diehard fans.

I saw an interview Jay Bilas did the other day with Zion, and Jay asked him what the one thing he wanted people to know about him, that they may not know, and Zion's answer stuck with me - and I thought it was awesome out of this kid. He said, "I want people to know I'm approachable. If you see me on campus, out on the town or at a restaurant, come say hi, ask me how I'm doing and about Duke basketball. I'm an approachable, social person, I'll talk to you." How likeable does that make Zion? I love it...

Alright, enough of my take on the excitement surrounding the beginning of the year and onto tonight's opener against Kentucky.

This is probably the toughest opener in the Coach K era (at least that I can recall.) Duke comes in at #4 and UK #2 and both have had tremendous off-seasons bringing in the consensus #1 and #2 recruiting classes.

Coach K has had good success in recent years in the Champions Classic and although UK got us during our last meeting in this event, I really like our chances tomorrow at revenge and the chance to make a great season-opening statement on what this Duke team is capable of.

Duke comes in as an early Vegas underdog (which I love) at +1.5. Tonight's game will air on ESPN HD and is slated for an 8:30pm tip (but will tip 25 min after the conclusion of the MSU/KU game).

Duke 86

UK 80

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I’m so ready for the game tomorrow night. It’s one of two things that I’ve been looking forward to for months, the other thing being helping a friend celebrate her 21st birthday on the 17th. It’s going to be a really tough game and like you said, I don’t think we’ve ever had a tougher game to start the season like we’re going to have against Kentucky tomorrow night but I think our boys will be ready and with a win tomorrow night we’ll take sole place of first in the Champions Classic.

Duke 90
Kentucky 84

Reactions: skysdad
UK will be tough, but Duke will break them. Starting off the season with a big win over a talented Wildcat team. Go Duke!

Duke 83
Kentucky 79

OFC

I'm looking for a very exciting game. I think Duke has more talent, player vs player, but Kentucky has more experience.
It's going to come down to the last 90 seconds and one of these kids (it's hard to believe they are the same age and younger than one of my children) will make a big play.
Duke 84 - Kentucky 79

Duke 84- 76
Talent prevails over the so called experience KY has.
I think our youngsters will thrive in the prime time spot light!

Been looking forward to this thread all off season and for K-ville to be back. On my way for the surgery and will be recovered for the game tonight.

Who's gonna win this game tonight. We're gonna win this game tonight. Who's gonna win, we're gonna win.. Well spell it then. D U K E. Go DUKE.

Duke 86
UK 80

OFC

Thank goodness the season is finally here. I get a lot more excited for the ACC regular season, and in my mind, as long as we make a decent showing tonight there is no harm done, win or lose. But I am feeling confident, even bullish. Show me a team that believes in K and this five out offense. Make a few 3's, make the free throws........Duke rolls......84 - 68.

Finally here,been a long 8 months since that elite 8 loss,this year is going to be one for the records...Lets start the season off with a statement win 86-72 Duke..

I was in Cameron Sunday with my daughter after soccer tourney in Raleigh. That has taken my excitement to an even higher level.

The journey begins!!!

If we can rebound with em and force turnovers with defensive pressure and break their will with some fastbreak dunks I think we get em. I love the energy of this team, if we play with energy and hunger from start to finish we win.

101-79 Duke

Game dayyyyyy!!!!!!!!

We have better talent, better coaching, and will be a better team

Duke- 92
UK-83

Also on Zion being approachable. I met him after his last game in Spartanburg and we actually had a conversation and got a picture. He was awesome!

Finally it’s gameday!

I wasn’t really impressed by UK’s man to man defense on Friday when I watched UK play. If Duke can space Kentucky out like their exhibition team they were playing was able to, and create driving lanes, then I really really like our chances. Duke wins regardless!

Duke: 94
UK: 85

Let’s go Duke!!!

Been looking forward to this thread all off season and for K-ville to be back. On my way for the surgery and will be recovered for the game tonight.

Who's gonna win this game tonight. We're gonna win this game tonight. Who's gonna win, we're gonna win.. Well spell it then. D U K E. Go DUKE.

Duke 86
UK 80

OFC

Thanks ol' buddy (and I do mean OLD - Sorry I couldn't help myself :D:D:D)! Praying surgery goes well today, hope you're on the mend quickly and of course, GO DUKE!!!!!!!

6.gif

Kville, I've been waiting for you and this thread, thank you sir ! Pretty work ! I've just got this burning feeling we kick a LOT of ass this season but this first one is a learner and I'm of the opinion we get behind early due to nervous play from opening up on this huge stage. Still believe we lose to UK early then send them home packing in the dance, I've seen this in my dreams. :D The team we have, if we were to pull out a W tonight, they may burn like a wildfire out of control with the confidence they create. I've got my fingers crossed, I hope RJ's 3 is hot tonight. I know Zion will be throwing down some monsters. Tre will be key and he's gonna be pressured like crazy. Sh!t , I'm a nervous freaking wreck already. I'm gonna pick with my head , not my heart tonight. UK 89 Duke 83. Then we go on a tear. At any rate .... LET'S GO DUKE ! !

The Earn Everything doc has me soooo ready for this game tonight. I really, really would love to see this Duke team make a statement tonight that they've arrived - but I'd be happy with a win either way.

I think this will be a tight game throughout but I think Kentucky pulls away late. We will be much better in 2 months than what we show tonight.

Reactions: PatrickYates
I believe we'll have the top talent on the court, but Kentucky has quality depth. RJ, Zion, and Cam NEED to stay out of foul trouble. I like our chances in this one. I'll go 85-82 Duke in a nail biter.

If I am honest, I do not think Duke has been better than UK in the last 4-5 years. That also included the championship year and I think Duke was fortunate UK got beat before the championship game. I do not usually take a lot of stock in early games but this feels different on several levels. We are not fighting the early injury bug and our team seems ready to go without any built in excuses. I understand that Duke is young but these kids have played in big games like none of our previous years teams. Cam and RJ went head to head for a world cup championship already, this game is nothing compared to that.

I think Duke needs to come out and show out to prove they are the best, I sure hope they do, this team has a real chance to be special and I think this game will show a lot. I am usually good at being optimistic on moral victories, but I am tired of being optimistic and hoping our team grows into potential.

Its time to put the women and children (UK) to bed and go looking for dinner.

Duke 84
UK 71

Kville, I've been waiting for you and this thread, thank you sir ! Pretty work ! I've just got this burning feeling we kick a LOT of ass this season but this first one is a learner and I'm of the opinion we get behind early due to nervous play from opening up on this huge stage. Still believe we lose to UK early then send them home packing in the dance, I've seen this in my dreams. :D The team we have, if we were to pull out a W tonight, they may burn like a wildfire out of control with the confidence they create. I've got my fingers crossed, I hope RJ's 3 is hot tonight. I know Zion will be throwing down some monsters. Tre will be key and he's gonna be pressured like crazy. Sh!t , I'm a nervous freaking wreck already. I'm gonna pick with my head , not my heart tonight. UK 89 Duke 83. Then we go on a tear. At any rate .... LET'S GO DUKE ! !

I'm with you. I can see this team playing like a runaway freight train throughout the season. Tre is the key to it all IMO. If he can play like his bro....look out!

What a way to start your college career as Freshmen. On the main stage playing Kentucky. They have to be jacked, just hope they don’t spend themselves in the first 10minutes of the game. There is going to be high energy and adrenaline at the start. Just hope we can catch our second wind before they do. That could be the key.

ADVERTISEMENT