ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS UNC- COACH K FINAL GAME IN CAMERON - OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Yeah, it's pretty clear with all the hot takes on the board tonight, haha Season isn't over yet. I still believe we're the best program in all of college basketball. So let's see what happens. We have a team that has looked pretty damn good over the last few weeks until tonight. Am I disappointed? Yep. I'm a grown man who probably behaved like a 10 year old yelling at the television tonight too. Time to hit the restart button and see what these fellas are made of.
Good call bleed. Appreciate your patience. Had one natty daddy too many.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Since going to the one and done model:

2011-ACC Champs/Sweet 16. Irving injury wrecked that team.
2012-Semifinal exit in ACC tournament and a first round loss in the NCAA.
2013-Ryan Kelly injury disrupts the team development. First round ACC exit and an Elite Eight.
2014-Loss in the ACC finals and a first round exit.
2015-ACC Semifinals loss. National Champions.
2016-quarterfinals loss in the ACC tournament. Sweet Sixteen.
2017-First team to win 5 games in 5 days and winning the ACC tournament. Poor placement I'm the NCAA tourney and we lose South Carolina in what amounts to a home game for them as the lower seed. Injuries wrecked that group too.
2018-semifinals loss in the ACC tournament and an Elite Elight loss. A roll away from the final four. Carter's fifth is something I'll never get over.
2019-ACC Champs and an Elite Eight loss. Zion injury derailed this team and not having shooters. Even still, we're a missed defensive assignment away from a Final Four.
2020-Covid ended what I think would've been a successful campaign in both tournaments.
2021-Covid ends what was looking like a potential run in the ACC Tournament. Not naive, that team's ceiling was near the floor.
2022-Regular Season Champs and the future is TBD....

So many programs would love to have our successs. We're spoiled and it shows. Especially tonight.
I feel you. But Duke has had much better stretches than that, themselves. Nothing wrong with being positive, I just don't think this shows that much success, especially for Duke's standards.

That was just a horribly coached game flat out. There was zero ball movement, K and the staff should've called timeout multiple times to reign the guys in and get them to actually play team basketball. Got tired of just watching our guys just stand around and watch someone go 1 on 1.

You cant have one of the best shooters in the country and just have him sit in the corner the entire game. Seriously where are the sets and motions to free him up? I mean damn if we had JJ walk through the doors we would most likely just have him in the corner all game long.

Then defensively Keels and Paolo just got cooked all game long. Really nothing else to say about that. Those two just got worked over and over again and didnt see much adjustment on that side of the ball.

Oh and shout out to Joey Baker. DNP on Senior night, that was cool to see as well...
A lot of the Brotherhood like Grant always classy. But you could kind of tell Laettner was horrified as to what he was witnessing. God forbid Baker plays on Senior Night. He couldn’t have done any worse than the ones out there

Imagine getting out coached by Hubert Davis
He didn’t get out coached! This Duke team does not bring it on a constant basis. Especially at home . I’m lost as to how this team loses fundamentals on the court once the game starts.
k can only advise them what the game plan is and they have to execute it . In all honesty though , Duke should have won but the better team did .

He didn’t get out coached! This Duke team does not bring it on a constant basis. Especially at home . I’m lost as to how this team loses fundamentals on the court once the game starts.
k can only advise them what the game plan is and they have to execute it . In all honesty though , Duke should have won but the better team did .
Can’t argue, sulking Paulo taking about 30 shots while aj and kneels did nothing .

Reactions: Devilinside
AJ barely saw the ball. Our one and doners decided to put on a show for the Brotherhood alums. All they did is embarrass themselves.

In my opinion the entire day was a bad idea. I realize ESPN doe$ want it want$, but the whole thing with the line of alums and then the awards after the game was ill conceived. Do it later on after the season, not the day of one of the most important games of the year. I cringed for the K family watching them try to keep a positive face during the speakers after the game.

Lol the Duke mystic is gone . Let’s go d
AJ barely saw the ball. Our one and doners decided to put on a show for the Brotherhood alums. All they did is embarrass themselves.

In my opinion the entire day was a bad idea. I realize ESPN doe$ want it want$, but the whole thing with the line of alums and then the awards after the game was ill conceived. Do it later on after the season, not the day of one of the most important games of the year. I cringed for the K family watching them try to keep a positive face during the speakers after the game.
You’re right. And I think deep down we fans knew how this was gonna play out.

We seem to lack an upperclassman leader. Theo is new to the team, Baker never plays, and Moore is just laid back and wants to be one of the guys. This team cannot seem to get over the hump. We have another chance, but something needs to change for us to make a serious run.

Reflecting on the game it shows a poor game plan by us but a good one by UNcheat...drive and get to the FT line and pick and roll us to death...they shot 22FT to our 6...we settled for jump shots and didnt get to the rim enough or to Williams..he had 8 shots. Whether by design or just game play...letting Banchero dominate our shooting turned out to be a bad call. It left our better shooters starved of opportunities. Overall the excuse that the occasion got the better of us does not cover up the poor game management. We are a collection of talented mismatched assets vs a cohesive team at times...and that time was the second half last night. Even the ex-players could be seen calling for TO's..it was obvious but we missed any adjustment. The only thing to do now is move on as this has past...however if the past tells the future its apparent whats coming.

Reactions: Mac9192
I understand the distractions of the moment last night but the most distracting thing that happened was our non defense. What can we do going forward because we will see teams that will run the same pick and roll with quick guards against us next week and the week after

I understand the distractions of the moment last night but the most distracting thing that happened was our non defense. What can we do going forward because we will see teams that will run the same pick and roll with quick guards against us next week and the week after

Its been our achilles heel for the past few years....quick guards....we cant stop them and the result is usually a loss

Offensively they played good enough to win, hero ball or not. The defense was straight up garbage. They didn’t adjust to the switch offs on the guards once. Did AJ Griffin play?
Duke should play a stretch of zone in every second half. The zone works just about every time that it's employed. RJ Davis was in a great rhythm running the pick and roll

But it's still coaching though. Either K came up with the horrible game plan of no ball movement and just watch Paolo and Keels go hero ball all game. Or he had a different game plan and the players just didn't follow it. If that was the case, he has timeouts to use and can sub guys out for not following the game plan.

I would say we are a 2 if we reach the acc final. Maybe. Otherwise we are a 3, which means a 2vseed in the 3rd round.
If Duke makes the ACC Finals, I would put them as a 2 seed. It's a big deal this year. Usually, I don't think there's a difference between a 2 and 3 seed, but this year the top 8 teams look fairly interchangeable

Reactions: christophero

I agree. It was a 6:00 start so it reminded me of a formal 6:00 wedding. It seems like a good idea, but with all of the distractions, you are exhausted for the ceremony

Coach K has forgotten infinitely more about basketball than I will ever learn. He's the GOAT. Period. Full stop.

But the coaching has been questionable (to say the very least) the last several seasons. Every team since the one-and-done era has more or less been the same, peaking in mid-December and no adjustments being made thereafter.

Now maybe that's just the nature of a team of one-and-done's regardless of who is calling the plays (or, as far as I can tell, rarely calling any plays) or maybe K just isn't built for this dynamic of team-fielding — which, honestly, is not even a knock on K as far as I'm concerned as it makes total sense when coaching for 42+ years. K is the GOAT, but it's simply a different era of basketball.

But how do you take Mark Williams out of the game the last several minutes when he's at 13 rebounds and 16 points and then sit him the entire rest of the game?

Last edited:
But it's still coaching though. Either K came up with the horrible game plan of no ball movement and just watch Paolo and Keels go hero ball all game. Or he had a different game plan and the players just didn't follow it. If that was the case, he has timeouts to use and can sub guys out for not following the game plan.
Every one has a plan until they get hit! The lack of effort and defense did this Duke team in last night.
never saw this team anymore then a sweet 16 team. Said it all year and I continue my statement all except that they could go out in the round of 64 as well.

Had a night to sleep. Obviously a horrible horrible loss last night. Unacceptable loss even if it is Carolina. Can’t lose THAT game when you’re far superior talent wise (and obviously intellectually). Coach didn’t help his cause either. With that said, feel bad for coach and feel bad for the team. This loss will stick with them forever. I’m sure they feel bad enough. This team can still right the wrong by bringing home a banner and I think they can do it. Stay positive boys.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Well of course wiining a banner would make up for it but how likely is that? Not picking on you just frustrated. We still have a shot but this team is an enigma.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Duke is more talented than UNC, but UNC has plenty of talent in the starting five. If my Tar Heels are fortunate enough to play Duke again next Saturday, you should pick up RJ Davis and Caleb Love 94 feet. Your greater advantage is depth

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
I have inside knowledge into the Duke program and they were actually going to give K not one, but TWO benches for coaching a winning program for 42 years, but took one away for the loss. Embarrassing, but that's what he gets.

Duke is the biggest, strongest team in the country. That's the advantage. Duke likes to let their big men pull the defender away from the basket. Laettner did it the best. This team is an anomaly. Three very good bigs, and superb size at every position.

Banchero is a good player 25 feet from the basket, but so much better under the basket. Banchero should play closer to the basket, and be more patient. He can score if not doubled, but he should focus on dishing to Williams for dunks, and his other teammates will be wide open

Reactions: christophero
Duke should play a stretch of zone in every second half. The zone works just about every time that it's employed. RJ Davis was in a great rhythm running the pick and roll
I don’t know the answer. What I do know is Carolina played their starting 5 every minute of the 2nd half, and Hubert had them run the same basic thing. To the tune of 55 points. Can’t blame him. We sure didn’t make them do anything different.

I’m also wondering why Baker and Jones never played. Of all the festivities (circus) going on, and the preaching of the ‘Brotherhood,’ why these 2, especially Baker, didn’t even sniff the court.

Duke is the biggest, strongest team in the country. That's the advantage. Duke likes to let their big men pull the defender away from the basket. Laettner did it the best. This team is an anomaly. Three very good bigs, and superb size at every position.

Banchero is a good player 25 feet from the basket, but so much better under the basket. Banchero should play closer to the basket, and be more patient. He can score if not doubled, but he should focus on dishing to Williams for dunks, and his other teammates will be wide open
I actually disagree with this. He is a 31% 3pt shooter in ACC play and he cant dribble left to save his life. He isnt a threat from the perimeter in anyway. Even his passing from out in the perimeter is inconsistent to put it nicely. He is a fantastic player from 18ft and in, anything past that youre doing the defense a massive favor.

You would think an inside out game between him and AJ would be very hard to defend. Especially with Paolo being a good big to big passer in the low post. So you cant bring Mark's defender over to help because Paolo can make that pass.

But instead we go entire halves forgetting AJ is even out on the court and he only gets 4 touches in a half. While we sit back and watch Paolo try to iso and create from out in the perimeter over and over again.

I don’t think hunger, or motivation was an issue for Duke. To me the circus in Durham, the fact they got curb stomped last month, and being an 11 point underdog, made Huberts job easy last night. They had no pressure. None. They played loose and went out and returned the favor.

I don’t think hunger, or motivation was an issue for Duke. To me the circus in Durham, the fact they got curb stomped last month, and being an 11 point underdog, made Huberts job easy last night. They had no pressure. None. They played loose and went out and returned the favor.
They did play loose, and extremely well. Every goal for the season is still attainable. Regular season best record accomplished. Next goal of ACC tournament is still in reach. Tip your cap and hope for a rematch next Saturday

"We didn't play hungry today" bothered me a little. Against UNC? Can you imagine Harbaugh saying we didn't play hungry against Ohio State?
Banchero got tight. Which would be one thing if he were just missing shots but the defensive lapses this late in the year. Putrid Throw Aj the damn ball The coaches thought he would dominate Manek and that was a huge miscalculation

Reactions: Mac9192
They were def playing with house money last night

Yes he did

Had a night to sleep. Obviously a horrible horrible loss last night. Unacceptable loss even if it is Carolina. Can’t lose THAT game when you’re far superior talent wise (and obviously intellectually). Coach didn’t help his cause either. With that said, feel bad for coach and feel bad for the team. This loss will stick with them forever. I’m sure they feel bad enough. This team can still right the wrong by bringing home a banner and I think they can do it. Stay positive boys.
No doubt they feel bad. How about playing some defense. I can understand if you can’t keep guys like Lawson and Felton in front of you. Who can but these guys? Please

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT