ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS UNC- COACH K FINAL GAME IN CAMERON - OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Just think that the pressure of being on his last team and all that went with it has gotten to this team and it’s been really obvious at home games. I’m hoping that getting away from home and playing on neutral courts will bring this team back together and shut out the noise outside of this team.

We’ve been average at home a lot of this season and played our best ball on neutral courts. Hopefully, we can return to that team.
Are you serious ?this Duke team has peaked or rather these players. K will go out with a sweet 16 at best . Hey UNC WON Duke Got beat in a game they should have not won

Reactions: KDSTONE
This game exposed our weaknesses...especially at PG, Davis with 22, Love with 21, they ate us alive off the dribble and in the pick and roll...it didnt help we lacked any adjustment to it. What hurts the most is its Coach K's last game at Cameron....and we didnt play like it. Its something this team will have to carry for the rest of their careers....and it was in front of the Brotherhood too

That was just a horribly coached game flat out. There was zero ball movement, K and the staff should've called timeout multiple times to reign the guys in and get them to actually play team basketball. Got tired of just watching our guys just stand around and watch someone go 1 on 1.

You cant have one of the best shooters in the country and just have him sit in the corner the entire game. Seriously where are the sets and motions to free him up? I mean damn if we had JJ walk through the doors we would most likely just have him in the corner all game long.

Then defensively Keels and Paolo just got cooked all game long. Really nothing else to say about that. Those two just got worked over and over again and didnt see much adjustment on that side of the ball.

Oh and shout out to Joey Baker. DNP on Senior night, that was cool to see as well...

Also did any former OAD show up to today's game? I know Brandon Ingram was asked a couple nights ago if he was going and it was obvious even though he had the day off he had no plans to come.

I didnt see the full list of players that were there, but every time they showed the former players in the crowd I was looking and dont recall seeing a single former OAD there. Solid "Brotherhood" culture...

Baker not playing on senior night. Thats....not good. Unless he is returning

That was just a horribly coached game flat out. There was zero ball movement, K and the staff should've called timeout multiple times to reign the guys in and get them to actually play team basketball. Got tired of just watching our guys just stand around and watch someone go 1 on 1.

You cant have one of the best shooters in the country and just have him sit in the corner the entire game. Seriously where are the sets and motions to free him up? I mean damn if we had JJ walk through the doors we would most likely just have him in the corner all game long.

Then defensively Keels and Paolo just got cooked all game long. Really nothing else to say about that. Those two just got worked over and over again and didnt see much adjustment on that side of the ball.

Oh and shout out to Joey Baker. DNP on Senior night, that was cool to see as well...
Hey it was K’s senior night! Baker is the equivalent of a walk on come on now. Tell him to get a towel for real players.

Reactions: duke4life831
I look for a second round exit in the Acc and a round of 32 exit in the NCAA . But what does it matter Duke still has first round pics
So it looks like we play the winner of the 8/9 game which is FSU vs Syracuse. If we win that then we get the winner of Miami vs probably Wake Forest.

So it looks like we play the winner of the 8/9 game which is FSU vs Syracuse. If we win that then we get the winner of Miami vs probably Wake Forest.
Don’t matter. It’s a weak ACC. Duke needs to hope they can hold on to a two seed.

Baker not playing on senior night. Thats....not good. Unless he is returning
No excuse at all for it. Hell most teams put their seniors out there for the tip and sub them out after the first whistle, they do it for walk on Seniors. Baker was a top 50 recruit and stuck it out here despite not getting much playing time. And couldn't even get a token start on Senior night?

Sorry but that is just a bad move by this coaching staff.

Reactions: Player2020
A part of me still thinks we might can make a deep run, then there’s the other part of me that says this is a movie I’ve seen since the 16-17 season.

As far as the circus atmosphere today: hindsight says it was way too much. A distraction combined with the holes wanting and being driven to be the spoilers.
They had nothing to lose tonight. Kind of reminds me of the 15-16 team that went into the nose dome and stole one.

I would say we are a 2 if we reach the acc final. Maybe. Otherwise we are a 3, which means a 2vseed in the 3rd round.

Reactions: geddoughton23
I would say we are a 2 if we reach the acc final. Maybe. Otherwise we are a 3, which means a 2vseed in the 3rd round.
Duke is a two. Stop and realize it’s as high as they go. Don’t even need a small ask to see that

We have the best shooter in all of college basketball, how bout we try getting him some shots. Or at least getting him some touches, our guys haven't even been looking his way the entire game and he has been open multiple times.

Not counting touches from rebounds, AJ might have 5 touches total in the 1st half.
True that. Aj has to be a focal point of the offense if this team is going anywhere

Hero ball made it stagnant. When they move and pass they’re getting great shots
Hate to sound like a broken record but I hope Sheyer likes the motion offense. You reckon he’s ever seen Hoosiers. It pains me to say it and ged has been saying it forever but Carolina has more flow on offense

What did the Cheats do different on AJ that he only got 5 shots? Is it that they let Paolo get his shots and pretty much shut AJ down? Once Paolo makes a couple he starts ball hogging. Paolo had over 26 shots even though the last couple was when the game was over. Keels had 12 shots and Williams had 13.

Since going to the one and done model:

2011-ACC Champs/Sweet 16. Irving injury wrecked that team.
2012-Semifinal exit in ACC tournament and a first round loss in the NCAA.
2013-Ryan Kelly injury disrupts the team development. First round ACC exit and an Elite Eight.
2014-Loss in the ACC finals and a first round exit.
2015-ACC Semifinals loss. National Champions.
2016-quarterfinals loss in the ACC tournament. Sweet Sixteen.
2017-First team to win 5 games in 5 days and winning the ACC tournament. Poor placement I'm the NCAA tourney and we lose South Carolina in what amounts to a home game for them as the lower seed. Injuries wrecked that group too.
2018-semifinals loss in the ACC tournament and an Elite Elight loss. A roll away from the final four. Carter's fifth is something I'll never get over.
2019-ACC Champs and an Elite Eight loss. Zion injury derailed this team and not having shooters. Even still, we're a missed defensive assignment away from a Final Four.
2020-Covid ended what I think would've been a successful campaign in both tournaments.
2021-Covid ends what was looking like a potential run in the ACC Tournament. Not naive, that team's ceiling was near the floor.
2022-Regular Season Champs and the future is TBD....

So many programs would love to have our successs. We're spoiled and it shows. Especially tonight.

Reactions: Blueheart32
True that. Aj has to be a focal point of the offense if this team is going anywhere
Im honestly confused on why we run zero sets and motions for him. He is a legit 6'7 sharpshooter, why the hell is he camping out in the corner 80% of the game?

This offense tonight was just everyone standing around watching Paolo or Keels go 1 on 1. The only time we had ball movement is when Moore had the ball in his hands. But that didnt happen nearly enough.

And with this loss we just pissed away a chance at a number 1 seed. This team has a high chance of a Lehigh Mercer situation.
Banchero is reminding me more of Jabari Parker or whatever his name was every day His defense was atrocious and he couldn’t score on Manek. Yikes

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
What did the Cheats do different on AJ that he only got 5 shots? Is it that they let Paolo get his shots and pretty much shut AJ down? Paolo had over 26 shots even though the last couple was when the game was over. Keels had 12 shots and Williams had 13.
They didn't do anything different, we ran a completely different offense tonight. The first game we had 7 players with at least 2 assists, and 8 total players with assists.

Tonight, we had 3 players with at least 2 assists, and just 4 total players with assists.

The first game we actually ran an offense with ball movement. Everyone was getting touches. Tonight it was the watch Paolo and Keels go 1 on 1 show. With a little bit of Moore trying to facilitate when he had his chances. Tonight was straight AAU offense.

Not the night we all wanted. We just couldn’t keep any momentum going any time we got a lead. They had 5 turnovers, we had 9, but it seemed like we had a lot more. Banchero was very shaky in the 2nd half, and Griffin only took 5 shots.

We pick on Hubert, but tonight his plan worked. We got abused by their guards and the screens out top. We never adjusted. Tough, tough loss.
They actually run an offense. I don’t know what the hell that was Duke was running

This game exposed our weaknesses...especially at PG, Davis with 22, Love with 21, they ate us alive off the dribble and in the pick and roll...it didnt help we lacked any adjustment to it. What hurts the most is its Coach K's last game at Cameron....and we didnt play like it. Its something this team will have to carry for the rest of their careers....and it was in front of the Brotherhood too
I like Jeremy but he’s not a championship caliber point guard. Even Quinn Cook was a bad mf when he had to be. The 2010 team was different we just out toughed everybody but for the most part you gotta have a great point

What did the Cheats do different on AJ that he only got 5 shots? Is it that they let Paolo get his shots and pretty much shut AJ down? Once Paolo makes a couple he starts ball hogging. Paolo had over 26 shots even though the last couple was when the game was over. Keels had 12 shots and Williams had 13.
Some good questions. Keels is best at driving. They should have AJ spotting up. It’s all moot when Manek outplays Banchero it’s over anyway. Last one to leave turn out the lights

They didn't do anything different, we ran a completely different offense tonight. The first game we had 7 players with at least 2 assists, and 8 total players with assists.

Tonight, we had 3 players with at least 2 assists, and just 4 total players with assists.

The first game we actually ran an offense with ball movement. Everyone was getting touches. Tonight it was the watch Paolo and Keels go 1 on 1 show. With a little bit of Moore trying to facilitate when he had his chances. Tonight was straight AAU offense.
Paolo confuses the heck out of me. Seems like he starts to play way too much one on one if he gets off to a good start. It's almost like he feels he can't be stopped then he starts jacking up outside shots.

Since going to the one and done model:

2011-ACC Champs/Sweet 16. Irving injury wrecked that team.
2012-Semifinal exit in ACC tournament and a first round loss in the NCAA.
2013-Ryan Kelly injury disrupts the team development. First round ACC exit and an Elite Eight.
2014-Loss in the ACC finals and a first round exit.
2015-ACC Semifinals loss. National Champions.
2016-quarterfinals loss in the ACC tournament. Sweet Sixteen.
2017-First team to win 5 games in 5 days and winning the ACC tournament. Poor placement I'm the NCAA tourney and we lose South Carolina in what amounts to a home game for them as the lower seed. Injuries wrecked that group too.
2018-semifinals loss in the ACC tournament and an Elite Elight loss. A roll away from the final four. Carter's fifth is something I'll never get over.
2019-ACC Champs and an Elite Eight loss. Zion injury derailed this team and not having shooters. Even still, we're a missed defensive assignment away from a Final Four.
2020-Covid ended what I think would've been a successful campaign in both tournaments.
2021-Covid ends what was looking like a potential run in the ACC Tournament. Not naive, that team's ceiling was near the floor.
2022-Regular Season Champs and the future is TBD....

So many programs would love to have our successs. We're spoiled and it shows. Especially tonight.
That’s great and all but we trying to have a big pity party so you can take your Norman Vincent Peale bull sh elsewhere🥳

That’s great and all but we trying to have a big pity party so you can take your Norman Vincent Peale bull sh elsewhere🥳
Yeah, it's pretty clear with all the hot takes on the board tonight, haha Season isn't over yet. I still believe we're the best program in all of college basketball. So let's see what happens. We have a team that has looked pretty damn good over the last few weeks until tonight. Am I disappointed? Yep. I'm a grown man who probably behaved like a 10 year old yelling at the television tonight too. Time to hit the restart button and see what these fellas are made of.

Just skipped through the 1st half to see how many touches AJ got in the half court.

1st touch: 16:42 mark: He passes it
2nd touch: 13:53 mark: Drew a foul
3rd touch: 5:42 mark: brings the ball up the court and scores
4th touch: 4:20 mark: makes a 3pt shot

That's it. He literally touched the ball 4 times in the half court in the 1st half. He was only passed the ball 3 times in the half court. And from my count, he had the ball in the half court for a total of 17 seconds in the 1st half. Now this was a quick first scan so I may have missed a touch. But ya after the first glance

4 total touches, 3 passes to him in the half court, 17 total seconds having the ball in his hands.

He is arguably the best shooter in the ACC. He is going to be a top 10 pick in the draft this year. This is how we use him in the 1st half against UNC, really?

Ya you can say he can be more aggressive, or UNC was game planning on taking him out of the game. I dont care, that is when coaching on our side comes in and you draw up some sets and motions to at least get him some touches.

Paolo confuses the heck out of me. Seems like he starts to play way too much one on one if he gets off to a good start. It's almost like he feels he can't be stopped then he starts jacking up outside shots.
Ya one of the big positives I had for Paolo at the start of the season was he seemed like he had Jabari's talent but he understood how to play within a team system. Dont get me wrong most games he does well in that regard. But some games like tonight, I would have a hard time telling the difference between him and Jabari. His offense didnt come within the flow of the offense and defensive he was abused all game. A very Jabari kind of game.

W the natty next month.
That is much more important.
After K wins the natty in his LAST game as your coach, that will be much more fitting than tonight (would have been).
That will help you forget all about tonight.
Take it to the foul birds and give them something they won’t forget in the conference tourney

Jon was a great pg IMO
Yup. 5 assists to 1.5 turnovers that year. 18/3/5. He lead the team in scoring while being the 2nd most efficient scorer (only behind Z), lead the team in assists while only having the 3rd most turnovers on the team. He was a ridiculously good PG for us that year. Best PG we've had in quite sometime.

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT