ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Tucker

jamsession3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 4, 2005
I'm watching this young man play NBA Summer League, and I must say I wish he would've redshirt. Natural talent, decent attitude and good size at the wing for Duke. I wonder what really influenced the transfer???

Reactions: christophero
I was under the impression that he transferred when AOC beat him out for the back up guard position as freshman. I don’t think Tucker made it past first semester, kind of a weak move IMO.

AOC shot well from 3 as a freshman.
49% Freshman
38% sophomore
27% Junior

Explain that? He played with so many stars and had many wide open looks.

Thought he could have helped us. I remember we signed him when we missed on Kevin Knox. I like big wings who can shoot.

Last edited:
He was a late signee in his class. He always wanted to go to Duke but Duke didn't prioritize him until they missed on Kevin Knox in May. They pivoted to Tucker and he committed pretty quickly. A whirlwind romance. I'm not sure he realized the quality of competition he would face at Duke. Not just O'Connell but Grayson Allen, Gary Trent, Jack White.

Tucker, O'Connell and Jordan Goldwire were all freshmen from Georgia, which got some attention at the time. Tucker was ranked much higher than Goldwire and we know what happened when Goldwire stuck around. But Tucker almost certainly never would have started at Duke and may never have been a rotation player. He was a rotation player at Butler but hardly a star. In all candor I'm not sure I ever spoke a word to him unless it was "excuse me," as I clambered by him to interview someone else.

Reactions: jamsession3
He was a late signee in his class. He always wanted to go to Duke but Duke didn't prioritize him until they missed on Kevin Knox in May. They pivoted to Tucker and he committed pretty quickly. A whirlwind romance. I'm not sure he realized the quality of competition he would face at Duke. Not just O'Connell but Grayson Allen, Gary Trent, Jack White.

Tucker, O'Connell and Jordan Goldwire were all freshmen from Georgia, which got some attention at the time. Tucker was ranked much higher than Goldwire and we know what happened when Goldwire stuck around. But Tucker almost certainly never would have started at Duke and may never have been a rotation player. He was a rotation player at Butler but hardly a star. In all candor I'm not sure I ever spoke a word to him unless it was "excuse me," as I clambered by him to interview someone else.
😆

It seems like every year there a few recruits who get lost in the shuffle. They either stick it out or they don't. I've also talked about over recruiting which they do in football. Brakefield seemed like that, although I wish he had stayed. Chappell too.

Reactions: hart2chesson
It seems like every year there a few recruits who get lost in the shuffle. They either stick it out or they don't. I've also talked about over recruiting which they do in football. Brakefield seemed like that, although I wish he had stayed. Chappell too.
Blame Shane Battier and Izzo for Chappell's departure. As for Brakefield, take your pick, AJ, PB or Keels were going to steal pt from him.

Chappell? Meh. He showed promise in practice, but it never translated to actual games for either Duke or MSU. Got similar minutes at each school — averaged less than 15 minutes every year. Only started 4 games in two years at MSU.

Chappell? Meh. He showed promise in practice, but it never translated to actual games for either Duke or MSU. Got similar minutes at each school — averaged less than 15 minutes every year. Only started 4 games in two years at MSU.
His sophomore year at Duke was decent. He was on a loaded team and averaged 7ppg. He started 21 games.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Chappell started ahead of Carrawell at the 3 for much of their sophomore season, 1998. Carrawell pushed hard to regain his starting role, making Chappell work hard in practice every day.

The end of the road for Chappell came in Chapel Hill, when top-ranked Duke got mauled by second-ranked Carolina. Chappell was awful. Carrawell came off the bench and scored 19 points. Carrawell regained his starting role and Chappell went into a shell. Chappell barely played the rest of that season.

James redshirted that season with a foot injury.

After the season Chappell looked at a landscape that not only included Carrawell but also incoming freshman Corey Maggette and the return of James and decided to look for greener pastures closer to his Michigan home.

He never played that much at MSU either. He averaged 5.9 points and 2.2 rebounds for their 2000 NCAA title team.

Chappell had more raw talent than either Carrawell or James, IMO. But the intangibles weren't what they needed to be for him to play ahead of two of the most ferocious competitors in Duke history.

The one game that stands out to me where Chappell had impact was @ NC State. He came off the bench if memory serves and lit the 'Pack up pretty good in a Duke road win. One of those games where Coach K might have noted: "Mike had a verve," in post-game remarks. OFC

Chappell was also a little soft. Carrawell and James were more willing to go inside and mix it up.
They had no choice. At that time, Duke had no real size. Elton didn't play a full season and Roshown Mac played a lot at center...completely undersized. I forgot Corey was on his way. Mike had to go. I would say this, Coach K was very generous with the rotations 97 - 99.

No kidding. I remember Carrawell having to guard Tim Duncan in Cameron. Took real guts, and he played well and did his job. OFC
Like I said, no size, we only had Taymon D. He wasn't ready. Chris B and daddy fussed too much. Roshown at 6'8 played center. Elton only played 21 games and he was 6'9 on a good day with big shoes.

Carrawell, Battier, and Roshown played beyond their realities. Mike had a chance, but like many 6'7, 6'8 and 6'9 wings today, they don't want no parts of being under the rim.

The 1997 through 1999 roster years are the reason I do not worry about Duke having Young, Reeves and Flip at 6'10 and taller. Duke was successful in those years with no height. Sean Stewart would've fit in just nicely at that time.

True but Elton Brand was a load down low. Burgess was still finding his way in 99, he was very inconsistent and seemed to be in coach K's doghouse at times.

Reactions: jamsession3
I remember Jamison and Wallace just killing us down low for a few years. That all changed when Brand arrived.

1997? The game where Carrawell guarded Duncan was at Wake. Duncan had 26 points, so Carrawell didn't exactly shut him down. But he kept him from mauling Duke. That 81-73 Duke win was the only time Duke beat Duncan.

1998? After Brand went down with a broken foot K gave freshman Chris Burgess and then junior Taymon Domzalski shots at replacing Brand. Domzalski's last start was that infamous loss at Carolina that I've already referenced. After that K went with McLeod, Battier and Carrawell as the starting front court until Brand returned and worked his way back into game shape.

McLeod was barely playing when Brand got hurt. He ended up making first-team All-ACC and some All-America teams. Lemons, lemonade and all that.

1997? The game where Carrawell guarded Duncan was at Wake. Duncan had 26 points, so Carrawell didn't exactly shut him down. But he kept him from mauling Duke. That 81-73 Duke win was the only time Duke beat Duncan.

1998? After Brand went down with a broken foot K gave freshman Chris Burgess and then junior Taymon Domzalski shots at replacing Brand. Domzalski's last start was that infamous loss at Carolina that I've already referenced. After that K went with McLeod, Battier and Carrawell as the starting front court until Brand returned and worked his way back into game shape.

McLeod was barely playing when Brand got hurt. He ended up making first-team All-ACC and some All-America teams. Lemons, lemonade and all that.
Opportunity

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT