ADVERTISEMENT

2022 NBA Draft discussion

DukeJim99

Starter
Feb 17, 2015
I didn't see a thread for this. Thought people might want to have a place to talk about the draft.

Mark Williams impressed with his size and reach. 9'9" standing reach. That's crazy. Not a lot of good examples of recent NBA stars that fit the 7' guy who can't shoot from deep of late, but Deandre Ayton might be a realistic comp for Mark. I think Mark might even be a bit more agile than Ayton.

Wendell didn't participate in 5 on 5s. I don't like that, but I do think it makes more sense for a junior to forego that than a freshman. NBA teams have PLENTY of tape on Wendell so maybe he felt like the 5 on 5s weren't necessary.

I've seen some mock drafts have AJ as high as the #4 pick. I do not get that, but I'm happy for him. I am just not buying that his three point shooting was anything other than a bit of a fluke. His mechanics do not look good to me. And he didn't really show a whole lot as far as creating off the dribble. Still, teams love his frame and his youth and I can't blame them for that. Good for AJ.

The big question of course is Keels (and that's being discussed in another thread on this board). While I think Wendell should 100% stay in the draft, I think it's a much tougher call for Keels. Keels has the ability to noticeably improve his stock with another year in college, and playing for Duke next year should get him paid via the NIL route. Better that than floundering in the G League next year, I'd think. And if he can lose some weight, add a little quickness, and demonstrate that he is indeed the outside shooter he was thought to be as a high school kid, you could easily see him going in the high teens or low twenties after next season.

Mark puts you in the mind set of a more healthier Mo Bamba. Both are seven footers and although Mo has fell off due to injury Duke put Mark in a better situation by having him play inside and keeping him off the perimeter even though he can shoot. I’d put big Mark as a better rim protector and hope Charlotte picks him and doesn’t mess it up.

AJ didn’t show a quarter of what he can do at Duke. His biggest obstacle will be mental. He’s going anywhere from 4-10 in the lottery but will have to get over being worried about getting injured .

Keels and Moore going early second isn’t bad and will still make more money then NIL. Nothing wrong with going to the gleague on an NBA contract as long as it’s not a two way contract .
Paolo please don’t go to Oralando . That is where talent goes to waist. I hope he ends up in Houston where they play young players and have the picks to build around him and Green .

Mark Williams is my favorite prospect in the draft. A steal in the middle of the first round. He has Kareem Abdul Jabbar size and speed. He should emulate Kareem by studying karate. Great for reflexes and pliability. And developing a hook shot like Kareem would be nice

Reactions: hart2chesson
I see Clint Capela as a comp for Mark. Clint is a true post who blocks shots and provides some offense and rebounding. He has had a really nice career.

I believe in AJ's shot because, despite some strange mechanics, his shot is so soft and just seems to want to go in. I think he has a ton of potential but really needs to work on his defensive footwork and quickness.

Mark would’ve been a nice prospect 25 years ago. Now he’ll be utilized for rebounding, shot blocking, screens, and lobs. He’ll have a career but nothing more than a 12 and 9 guy imo. Paolo is the only one I seeing potentially being an all star.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Mark would’ve been a nice prospect 25 years ago. Now he’ll be utilized for rebounding, shot blocking, screens, and lobs. He’ll have a career but nothing more than a 12 and 9 guy imo. Paolo is the only one I seeing potentially being an all star.
Mark has shown he can shoot and handle the ball in workouts. He’s way more then an old school big he was just asked to play more down low in Duke. It helped him get stronger and defend the post . Have you seen some of the numbers bigs put up? 12/9 are good numbers .

Deandre Ayton put up 17 and 10 this last year, which is pretty similar to his career numbers over four years. I feel like if the stars align right Mark could do that while probably being an even better rim protector. Lots of things need to work out for a 7 foot big without an outside shot to succeed in this league, but it certainly isn't impossible.

Deandre Ayton put up 17 and 10 this last year, which is pretty similar to his career numbers over four years. I feel like if the stars align right Mark could do that while probably being an even better rim protector. Lots of things need to work out for a 7 foot big without an outside shot to succeed in this league, but it certainly isn't impossible.
Like having Ball as his PG.

Reactions: sheyduke
The issue with the Hornets is management . They are already talking about trading their two first round picks for a veteran .

harrison barnes, colby white or any former cheater u would be a good fit. Put cheater u fannies in those seats. OFC

harrison barnes, colby white or any former cheater u would be a good fit. Put cheater u fannies in those seats. OFC
Actually hoping they keep 13 and package boknight and the 15 pic for a veteran sg or small forward .

Reactions: geddoughton23
Makes sense to me. The mock draft I saw today had Mark Williams at 25. There's an abundance of big men. More than I recall in the last decade
Yeah there are nba execs that think they are going to package the two picks and a young player should Phoenix decide to sign and trade Ayton.

Randolph Childress said he think Keels is the guy who could benefit most by coming back. Common sense says he returns, but we will see how that plays out. If he is hell bent on staying in it doesn't matter what anyone says. If that happens hopefully Green commits. Guess we will know tomm.

Randolph Childress said he think Keels is the guy who could benefit most by coming back. Common sense says he returns, but we will see how that plays out. If he is hell bent on staying in it doesn't matter what anyone says. If that happens hopefully Green commits. Guess we will know tomm.
Wouldn’t it have to be today ? Or is the day to announce June 1? For some reason I was thinking you had to withdrawal prior to June 1

Reactions: christophero
Patrick Baldwin staying in the draft. He had good height (almost 6-11) and wingspan (7-2) so some team will probably grab him late in the first round.
Christophero, you are blessed not to have a job that revolves around salesmen wanting their paperwork finalized on the last day of the month. Sometimes I understand their zeal, but frequently they would make more if they let the sale slide into the next month

For whom is Childress an analyst? If anyone is suited to giving advice on playing professionally, it is he. I was sure that he would have a nice NBA career, but he was playing overseas after only two seasons

My fault lol. I don’t keep up with the days most the time I really don’t have dead lines . Most the time unless it’s college basketball season or a fishing trip I don’t know what the date is .

My fault lol. I don’t keep up with the days most the time I really don’t have dead lines . Most the time unless it’s college basketball season or a fishing trip I don’t know what the date is .
My God!! Good for you. I was at work from 3 to 8 this afternoon on a Holiday because tomorrow is the end of the month. I'm a dope!

My God!! Good for you. I was at work from 3 to 8 this afternoon on a Holiday because tomorrow is the end of the month. I'm a dope!
oh no. Don’t work weekends ( cost my company to much ) and no main holidays! Had my feel of that .

Boogie Ellis would be in his 2nd year of the G-League had he came to Duke

I see Clint Capela as a comp for Mark. Clint is a true post who blocks shots and provides some offense and rebounding. He has had a really nice career.

I believe in AJ's shot because, despite some strange mechanics, his shot is so soft and just seems to want to go in. I think he has a ton of potential but really needs to work on his defensive footwork and quickness.
Jump-shooting basketball players are the best evidence for the existence of psychokinesis. If your shot is reasonably good, just that little extra mental nudge turns you into a good scorer.

For whom is Childress an analyst? If anyone is suited to giving advice on playing professionally, it is he. I was sure that he would have a nice NBA career, but he was playing overseas after only two seasons
Played in Turkey I think.

OFC

^yea I was about to post the same. Not sure that Keels will even announce anything now.
I would think that if Keels doesn't announce anything publicly, he would at least let Scheyer know that he's not coming back.

We need an experienced guard one way or the other. The Illinois kid is supposed to be good. I am starting to get a bad feeling about the whole Keels/ Green thing the longer this drags out.

Last edited:
We need an experienced guard one way or the other. The Illinois kid is supposed to be good. I am starting to get a bad feeling about the whole Keels/ Green thing.
I agree, no news is not usually good news in the recruiting game. But yes, the Illinois kid does look pretty good.

announce already...its helping no one stringing it along...he knows by now, and i suspect the coaching staff do too

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT