ADVERTISEMENT

Javin DeLaurier

adm015

Starter
Oct 7, 2011
ESPN has him list at 6'10 220 and watching his high school game dude looks athletic, quick off his feet and a decent mid-range jump shot. Anyone else question why he doesn't get any playing time? I mean with Jefferson hurt, Giles still recovering, and Bolden struggling at times on both ends of the court, seems like Coach K could use him at the 4 or even 5.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Lets put it this way.....I have a 3rd grade son who play's on my 4th grade son's MAYB team, he can dominate a 3rd grade game like no other....15-20 points without trying. In our own playing he can make my 4th grader look silly at times and even in the 4th grade team practices he looks like he is a 4th grader and scores at will and plays great defense..........then the weekend comes, he gets in the games and he freezes a bit and the speed of everything going on around him just is different, it could be just the buzz in the gym, the anticipation of the game, maybe even too much excitement but it is just a bit fast for him and he reacts a little slower or makes just stupid plays from time to time that has me scratching my head because I have not seen it before out of him. But my 4th grader who he destroys in practice and playing on our own handles the games just fine and does great.....you tell me why??????????

Sometimes kids (even 18 year olds just have to get comfortable, and that's it), and before you say they need to play to get that, that is not true, if anything that can be more harmful than helpful, this happens over the summer and for some reason it just happens at its own pace.

Lets put it this way.....I have a 3rd grade son who play's on my 4th grade son's MAYB team, he can dominate a 3rd grade game like no other....15-20 points without trying. In our own playing he can make my 4th grader look silly at times and even in the 4th grade team practices he looks like he is a 4th grader and scores at will and plays great defense..........then the weekend comes, he gets in the games and he freezes a bit and the speed of everything going on around him just is different, it could be just the buzz in the gym, the anticipation of the game, maybe even too much excitement but it is just a bit fast for him and he reacts a little slower or makes just stupid plays from time to time that has me scratching my head because I have not seen it before out of him. But my 4th grader who he destroys in practice and playing on our own handles the games just fine and does great.....you tell me why??????????

Sometimes kids (even 18 year olds just have to get comfortable, and that's it), and before you say they need to play to get that, that is not true, if anything that can be more harmful than helpful, this happens over the summer and for some reason it just happens at its own pace.
That is a great take. Truth is, no one here knows what's going on with PT decisions, but Kobe's point offers a plausible scenario. Javin is a future pro IMO. He will be huge for us next year or as a junior.

That is very true, a good take. There is also the other side where the more you are out there the slower the game will be. I'm not saying that is what will happen with Javin or any kid who sits bench, and for Duke K only plays so many. Javin would probably not be a star even if he played 15-18 minutes a game but if he played 5-10 a game, as season went on, would he be better? No one knows. If he stays at Duke, odds are he will be a solid contributor. I'll say this again, when you're dealing with kids, there is no absolute truth.

Couldn't agree more .i was the same way.. I would dominate in practice / whatever when no 1 was watching but get in a game and just choke..I never grew outa that either until now and it's too late ..meh sucks ..makes me appreciate the mindset and understand the ups and downs of these kids more. I lose it sometimes but who doesn't when their fav team loses. I think K is saving something for a run..ala Grayson Allen freshman year..just a feeling! Let's Go!!

Reactions: jeans15

Excellent summation. Have a kid on my AAU team that does this as well.

Javin got a leg injury right after he began seeing time if I recall. He will be good in the future

He's a bigger more athletic Amile coming out of HS. He "could" give good minutes next year with his off season development.

Jack White "could" be another one that might need to contribute and it will be interesting to see how he develops into next year. Remember he didn't arrive at Duke until late missing the entire summer.

Amile is a pretty good comparison for Javin. Remember, Amile's freshman year posters here said he was transferring and would never play, either.

Reactions: skysdad
Wonder how much playing time Javin, White and O'Connell will get next year. I would really like to see Vrank get 5-10 minutes next year.

Wonder how much playing time Javin, White and O'Connell will get next year. I would really like to see Vrank get 5-10 minutes next year.
That won't happen for Big V especially if Jeter and Bolden are on the roster with Carter. That's gonna be the same thing for White if Duke lands Knox.
If Jeter and Bolden return you would think Javin would be Carters back up but then again the same thing was thought this year about Dukes bench

That won't happen for Big V especially if Jeter and Bolden are on the roster with Carter. That's gonna be the same thing for White if Duke lands Knox.
If Jeter and Bolden return you would think Javin would be Carters back up but then again the same thing was thought this year about Dukes bench

Wonder if Javin worked on his jump shot if he could play the SF position? I am really excited to see Bolden Jete and Carter playing down low next year. I am hoping for a big improvement from Jeter, I remember watching him in high school.

Amile is a pretty good comparison for Javin. Remember, Amile's freshman year posters here said he was transferring and would never play, either.

I remember Amile getting a lot of people thinking he was a wasted scholly. OFC

From what I've seen of Javin in warmups before games (if it says anything) is he is 1. freaky athletic and 2. working on his outside shot. If you knew nothing about this team and you watched them warm up you would probably take Tatum first and then Javin. I think he would easily win the dunk contest on this team. He also takes a lot of jump shots in the "lay up line" situation.
I REALLY like him as a prospect. I also see a lot of Amile-like career potential. He seems to me to be much more athletic though. If he played with the same intensity and savvy as Amile, he'd be an amazing talent. Of the potential transfers that have been mentioned, he's the one I'd be most disappointed in losing.

From what I've seen of Javin in warmups before games (if it says anything) is he is 1. freaky athletic and 2. working on his outside shot. If you knew nothing about this team and you watched them warm up you would probably take Tatum first and then Javin. I think he would easily win the dunk contest on this team. He also takes a lot of jump shots in the "lay up line" situation.
I REALLY like him as a prospect. I also see a lot of Amile-like career potential. He seems to me to be much more athletic though. If he played with the same intensity and savvy as Amile, he'd be an amazing talent. Of the potential transfers that have been mentioned, he's the one I'd be most disappointed in losing.
Im with you on this. I really hope he hangs around at Duke because he will be really good in the near future whether its at Duke or somewhere else.

Javin might be that different kid.
- priority of academics
- love of Duke

He's one that could surprise as a Soph and will have the opportunity to establish his role. I feel he can be a key guy

Reactions: hart2chesson
I just don't get where all this comes from. Unless someone in the know says it's a possibility that he leaves, I have no idea how this thread is continuing. Maybe I'm missing something

I just don't get where all this comes from. Unless someone in the know says it's a possibility that he leaves, I have no idea how this thread is continuing. Maybe I'm missing something
He's not going anywhere.

The point of the thread wasn't about Javin leaving. It is about his contributions he could bring to the team. I for one don't see Javin leaving there are a couple I imo could see transfer but not Javin.
Just think of you were him. Your potentially the only other big beside Big V if everyone bolts. So it's a win win for him. I really think he sees time next year as long as he stays healthy.

The little we saw of Javin playing was only positive. He's athletic, he didn't seem flustered by the big stage, and he seemed eager to play hard. I expect big things from him and look forward to watching him play next year.

I would love to see Javin continue to work on his shooting over the summer and next year be a hybrid 3-4.

As long as he don't attempt to stay on the arch I'm fine with him being a 3/4. But his strength is his athleticism for his size and body frame

I just think with his athleticism he can reach a point where he just plays and isn't relegated to one set positional role. Getting a tight handle is a big part of that. Ball handling is certainly something that can be improved immensely though.

If Amile was the level of athlete Javin is, Amile would be scary good. Same goes for Brand. He was outstanding, and has a NBA career to prove it. However, if he could've had the springs in his legs like Javin has, he would've been on another level.

Reactions: DukeJim99
Javin will surprise next year but not sure what his role will be. He's the next in line of Lance and Amile.

Reactions: skysdad
Javin will surprise next year but not sure what his role will be. He's the next in line of Lance and Amile.
I agree. He is a player that came to Duke knowing he wouldn't probably see much playing time this year with what was there already. I really like the future with him, he could be good in time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT