ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft 2023 (Duke Focus)

Jan 13, 2023
If there's already a thread on this, please feel free to delete/merge this one.

Latest from ESPN has Kyle at 13, Dariq at 21, and Dereck at 27. Draft Express has this to say about each:
  • Kyle: Size A, Versatility A, Shooting B-, Defense B, Consistency B-. Described as a stat sheet stuffer unlike any freshman in college basketball history, he needs to improve his 3-pt shooting, but given his free throw percentage (77%) and good form, that's expected to improve.
  • Dariq - no specific breakout but focus is on his shooting (39.7% from 2 pt range, worst of any top 100 prospect), inability to shake defenders, and lack of explosiveness. NBA case for him is 3-and-D potential.
  • Dereck: Size/Reach A+, Defense A, Finishing A-, Strength C-, and Productivity C-. They make the case for him to return to Duke but expect him to be drafted based on his measurables and defensive versatility.
Of these 3, I'm most intrigued by the chance of Dereck coming back. While that's unlikely, the potential to realistically improve on his weaknesses could make the case for a Mark Williams type of improvement in his Sophomore year. While still unlikely, a sizable NIL might make this an interesting decision for Dereck.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but they are all gone. Mitchell and Proctor are our hopes, and I think they are gone too. Would love to get those 2 back. One of Proctor/Mitchell back is possible. Hopefully Schutt won't test the waters. Lively has shown enough recently that someone will take him, probably late first round. Honestly I haven't been very impressed with Whitehead. He is coming off injury, but nothing I have seen screams first round pic. He still plays tentatively and has durability issues. While understandable, this could give teams pause. As far as Mitchell being squeezed out, I doubt anyone we bring in will start over a sophomore Mitchell. Ditto Proctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT