ADVERTISEMENT

Is DUKE's present team a legit 10 deep rotation?

No pun intended.
Hurt as 6th man, we cut down the nets last year.
I really thought between him and DJ he would be the one to return for the simple fact his overall game needed alot of work. When he got to the league his shot simply disappeared and still doesn’t mix it up around the basket .

Reactions: jamsession3
I really thought between him and DJ he would be the one to return for the simple fact his overall game needed alot of work. When he got to the league his shot simply disappeared and still doesn’t mix it up around the basket .

Matt didn't want to compete for a position. There is a level of sacrifice many of our kids don't want to embrace. He would've been an upperclassmen, but he would've had to grind in practice. Many rather grind as a pro.

Hurt was fantastic all season long. He was automatic from 3 for a huge part of that year. Defensively yes he was Swiss cheese.

Johnson just had zero business being a part of that team. Very few players I think I’ve ever been as vocally critical of on a message board as I was with him. At least pretend to be bought in.
That was the thing IMO. Teams would let Hurt shoot and guard the other four on the floor. Most teams weren’t even worried if he got the ball down low around the basket.

Jalen needed an upperclassman to check him daily. Possibly, a Theo or Battier type of player. It didn't exist for him.

Reactions: sheyduke
Thought he ended up number two and didn’t really come on until the second half of the season .
that team was never going to fully come together. I think DJ always knew he was gone after the season and Hurt too. They were looking ahead . Or atleast I knew that by their comments after Johnson quit on the team .

Hurt led the ACC in scoring with 18.4 mpg.

Pitt's Justin Champaigne was second at 18.0

The irony is Hurt could have come back, won a natty, improved his overall game and been drafted in the second round. He was never going to be a good defender, but it is hard to believe that was his ceiling. 6-9 top 10ish guys who can shoot like that don't grow on trees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9dukejames
The irony is Hurt could have come back, won a natty, improved his overall game and been drafted in the second round. He was never going to be a good defender, buy it is hard to believe that was his ceiling. 6-9 top 10ish guys who can shoot like that don't grow on trees.
That’s the thing . Hurts shot has not followed him to the league at all.

Reactions: christophero
That’s the thing . Hurts shot has not followed him to the league at all.

Hurt needed more development in many areas. If he would've developed a post game, weakside help defense, speed, and just being vocal, his game would've kept him in the league.

Who is the other one?

Taylor King. To be honest he was the only transfer that I was glad to see go. Greg Newton got to me after his 1st couple of years also. I relly take pride in supporting our players but Johnson just simply used Duke. King , well that was just a waste. Hope he finally got his act together. As far as Johnson goes and I don't like feeling this way but I don't consider him a Dukie. We really needed him while he was here and as far as the injury goes I'm not convinced it was that bad. Maybe it was. OFC

I liked King he had a sweet stroke. But he clearly had issues. King, Singler and Smith were a nice class.

I liked King he had a sweet stroke. But he clearly had issues. King, Singler and Smith were a nice class.

To have such a sweet stroke he was not a good free throw shooter. It seems to me that unofficially commited to Duke like in the 9th grade and his issues started after that but Duke stayed with him hoping he could get it together but never did. OFC

UOTE="christophero, post: 11490249, member: 33611"]
He committed to UCLA in the 8th grade. He committed to us much later. But agreed it was a bad fit.
[/QUOTE]

Yep you are right. Thanks for the memory correction. Probably shouldn't have even brought him up. Not worth discussion. OFC

Williams, Banchero, Hurt and Theo. We would have blown teams out with that frontcourt.

True but what the heck is he doing now.
Bouncing between the gleague and overseas. The issue is he’s not even looked at as a high value overseas role player. Hurt needed to work on rebounding and defense . It would of took four years of college and some in the gleague to improve . When I saw him this summer in the summer league he looked like the same old Hurt. His problem also is that the league is packed with 6’8” or better bigs that can shoot and defend so he’s not getting his shot off over them .

Hurt needed more development in many areas. If he would've developed a post game, weakside help defense, speed, and just being vocal, his game would've kept him in the league.
His game was never going to be more then a shooter. The rest you said he was never going to develop. It’s another case of getting the wrong info .

55.6 FG% (44.4 3PT%). Outstanding efficiency.
Hard to say he would've gotten better at Duke than in a place where he has nothing else to do but play and work out.

Although he would have been a big help last year I just don't see hom having a better year than his soph year. Looking back at it now he probably made the right decision for himself. Still has a chance to play a while in the NBA. Always a place for a 6'10" man who can light it up. OFC

Although he would have been a big help last year I just don't see hom having a better year than his soph year. Looking back at it now he probably made the right decision for himself. Still has a chance to play a while in the NBA. Always a place for a 6'10" man who can light it up. OFC
Sky , I mentioned before his shot hasn’t translated to the league at all. He was drafted by a rebuilding Houston Rockets and couldn’t make the team and had his two way offer removed. There are a ton of guys that can shoot but can they also do the other intangibles? Hurt IMO can’t. He’s and overseas player at best his game hasn’t developed much of at all.

Sky , I mentioned before his shot hasn’t translated to the league at all. He was drafted by a rebuilding Houston Rockets and couldn’t make the team and had his two way offer removed. There are a ton of guys that can shoot but can they also do the other intangibles? Hurt IMO can’t. He’s and overseas player at best his game hasn’t developed much of at all.
You’re right, it hasn’t developed. He may have slightly gotten better at rebounding but his defense and foot speed remained slow…..

He was a 4 year player. In those 4 years, he would've developed intangibles that should've kept him in the league.

Exactly. That was his best shot. I never understood the Hurt had to go argument. Clearly it was the wrong move. He could have worked on other parts of his game. He never will be fast, but he could develop other skills. Right now he's a shooter who is SOL if his shot is not falling. Duke had 5 NBA picks this year. Coming off the bench would not effect his draft status.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Exactly. That was his best shot. I never understood the Hurt had to go argument. Clearly it was the wrong move. He could have worked on other parts of his game. He never will be fast, but he could develop other skills. Right now he's a shooter who is SOL if his shot is not falling. Duke had 5 NBA picks this year. Coming off the bench would not effect his draft status.
Hurt was going to leave after his first year but his Family talked him into his me more year . He still got drafted but staying four I don’t see him getting drafted given the roster make up . I think he even knew that . He needed to remake his entire game and become more then a shooter . Duncan Robinson for the heat is the perfect example of what Hurt needed to become

Reactions: geddoughton23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT