ADVERTISEMENT

Is DUKE's present team a legit 10 deep rotation?

These conversations are always funny to me since there is truly no ONE way to win a championship in college basketball. We’ve won it all with talented teams and not so talented teams, young and old, deep and just 8. If we win with 5, GREAT; if we win with 10, GREAT! If Scheyer can win at the same clip as K or the same way as K, why does it matter if the rotation is deep or not? In the title game, Kansas played 9 players; 6 played 21 or more minutes and 3 played 7 minutes or less. UNC only played 7 players total.

So here's the challenge that breaks down this thread into another thread; will Jon coach like K?

Nova' and a few other NT teams in the last 10 years played 10 players and down the stretch it became 8 to 9. Sometimes it was matchups, other times injuries, or just in the moment. A ten man rotation does not mean every player gets the same amount of burn. It just means the team is able to sub guys in at the same position when needed.

So here's the challenge that breaks down this thread into another thread; will Jon coach like K?

Nova' and a few other NT teams in the last 10 years played 10 players and down the stretch it became 8 to 9. Sometimes it was matchups, other times injuries, or just in the moment. A ten man rotation does not mean every player gets the same amount of burn. It just means the team is able to sub guys in at the same position when needed.
Ok a few others. To me, again, that’s why I say it doesn’t matter since there are many ways to win a title. But some people are dead set on playing more players without any evidence that yields similar or better results than K’s 5 titles from 1991-2015 as the preferred method of winning it all.

If we have 10 players who provide NO drop off in production when playing, by all means it makes sense to play as many. But if there is a huge gulf in production when subbing in certain players, a great coach will recognize that’s not going to give you the best opportunity to win many ball games.

Reactions: jamsession3
This team is not 10 deep. Most have not played single minute in college. Reading this thread is like being on rupp rafters

Reactions: QC Dukie
This team is not 10 deep. Most have not played single minute in college. Reading this thread is like being on rupp rafters
This team is easily nine deep so let’s break it down!

freshman : Flip,Lively, Whitehead, Mitchell and proctor will play . Schutt is the only one in question at this point of the freshman .
Roach will play (starting pg)
Blake’s minutes will be in question like Schutts.
Young and Grandison will play( they didn’t transfer to ride the bench and young has surprised everyone.
That’s a legit eight man rotation with out Blake’s and Schutt. Given blow outs and situations you can swing Schutt in for a shooting and Blake’s and Catchings for defense . So is Duke a legit ten man rotational team yes! Will they actually go ten deep probably not but that’s on the coaches .

This team is easily nine deep so let’s break it down!

freshman : Flip,Lively, Whitehead, Mitchell and proctor will play . Schutt is the only one in question at this point of the freshman .
Roach will play (starting pg)
Blake’s minutes will be in question like Schutts.
Young and Grandison will play( they didn’t transfer to ride the bench and young has surprised everyone.
That’s a legit eight man rotation with out Blake’s and Schutt. Given blow outs and situations you can swing Schutt in for a shooting and Blake’s and Catchings for defense . So is Duke a legit ten man rotational team yes! Will they actually go ten deep probably not but that’s on the coaches .
Agree here, I’d argue it’s not on the coaches but the players. If they (really Schutt and Blakes) prove they can play, then they will be a regular part of the rotation.

What always bothered me was the claim, “why can’t XYZ get 3-5min a game!” Well, 3-5 min is virtually zero and really doesn’t allow them to get into any flow. It can be argued those few min can even be a detriment in confidence in many aspects. Tough to get into any flow in that short of a burst. Yes you can catch lightening in a bottle but that’s rare.

I wouldn't go in that direction if I were you. As I am sure that you know, RR is uniquely manic depressive among the CBB boards. Even IC stands in awe at the combination of hubris and downtrodden paranoia present in that fan base.

9. Sorry Blakes. Sometimes Schutt. So 8.5. Mitchell, Proctor and Young firmly in the rotation.
It’s hard to answer the question right now with Grandison not practicing due to being injured and Proctor is still in Australia playing for his national team & he's a member of the Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence squad. If Proctor gets back before end of August and has 1 1/2 months to practice with the team, think that he takes any minutes at PG which Blake’s may have gotten. Will also be interesting to see if Schutt gets some minutes initially as Grandison & Proctor get settled in.

Schutt strikes me as one of those players that will be hard to take off the court once/if he gets a chance to play a decent amount of minutes. Think that we end up with a 9 man rotation with Blake’s being the odd man out.

It’s hard to answer the question right now with Grandison not practicing due to being injured and Proctor is still in Australia playing for his national team & he's a member of the Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence squad. If Proctor gets back before end of August and has 1 1/2 months to practice with the team, think that he takes any minutes at PG which Blake’s may have gotten. Will also be interesting to see if Schutt gets some minutes initially as Grandison & Proctor get settled in.

Schutt strikes me as one of those players that will be hard to take off the court once/if he gets a chance to play a decent amount of minutes. Think that we end up with a 9 man rotation with Blake’s being the odd man out.
I don’t think Blakes will be odd man out and as it appears Grandison may not start as much as some thought. He’s injury prone and let’s not forget there is no true back up at SF so you could move Grandison there to give white head a break and both proctor and Blakes are combo guards so they can interchange. Proctor isn’t going to have a hard time getting up to speed . Blakes will play in defensive situations a lot due to his length and if he improved his on the ball defense he could hide others flaws in the back court.

Last edited:
So what's interesting and scary is this present coaching staff recruited a bulk of this team. This means they made some promises. Now, how secure are your promises when you get outplayed on practice or when the lights come on in November you freeze up. This is nothing new, but the staff is new to making final decisions. I hope we will be able to see some practices moving forward.

So what's interesting and scary is this present coaching staff recruited a bulk of this team. This means they made some promises. Now, how secure are your promises when you get outplayed on practice or when the lights come on in November you freeze up. This is nothing new, but the staff is new to making final decisions. I hope we will be able to see some practices moving forward.
You don’t know that tho.

Hopefully Grandison's injury will not linger. The Duke transfer curse continues. At least Young is healthy. I guess summer is the best time to be injured. I still think a healthy Grandison starts. Unless Mitchell plays the 3. But that line up might not be a good shooting line up. I still like Roach, Whitehead, grand, mitchell and Lively. Then Flip, Proctor and Young.

Last edited:
You don’t know that tho.
If I'm a 5 Star, we can assume, some negotiations took place in relationship to playing time and expectations. DUKE is the best, but even in Durham, you must tell the recruit and their team something to sign the LOI. Now the issue with many players is you may not know who is coming in as a transfer or possibly late commitment. I'm pretty sure Wendell Carter, Sean Dockery, and Marques Bolden didn't know that Marvin Bagley, JJ Redick and Harry Giles would be coming in at the same position? Adjustments had to be made. Someone might've not like the adjustment either.

If I'm a 5 Star, we can assume, some negotiations took place in relationship to playing time and expectations. DUKE is the best, but even in Durham, you must tell the recruit and their team something to sign the LOI. Now the issue with many players is you may not know who is coming in as a transfer or possibly late commitment. I'm pretty sure Wendell Carter, Sean Dockery, and Marques Bolden didn't know that Marvin Bagley, JJ Redick and Harry Giles would be coming in at the same position? Adjustments had to be made. Someone might've not like the adjustment either.
Wendell Carter's mom didn't like the Bagley addition!!! OFC

Haha. K was much more rigid in 04. I have no idea what may or may not have been said between Kris Humphries and K, and why he didn’t come to Duke. But you’re bordering on delusional if you think K recruited the same his last 8-10 seasons as he did from 04-2010.

Call it what you want, but Bagley was offered the farm. Getting to wear a retired number, and the cancellation of the Dominican trip were 2 of the things. That’s what we know for facts. We may never know if there were more.

Reactions: jamsession3
That Bagley team may be my least favorite Duke team, despite the Elite Eight they didn't really seem to like each other or play as a team. The Zion team was much more enjoyable to watch.

Chris, it sounds like you know where the bodies are buried. That team was awesome, and should've went 10 deep. Sadly, you must be careful when you bring in high ranking freshmen and your upperclassmen improve.

• Haha
Reactions: christophero
Bagley was a huge talent. I don't think K would have brought him in if he was just another player.

I still think on balance it was a good decision. I mean Carter's career didn't exactly suffer. If anything it allowed him to show some forward skills. I recall the real problem was the team just didn't play together that well. IN retrospect, perhaps featuring Trent more and Grayson a little less (as much as I liked him) might have been a better strategy. And IMO Duval was not a leader.

Even then, a better roll around the rim and it's a Final Four team.

Reading all the Gonzaga is overrated posts in RR is making my head hurt. They lost to St. Peter's. They are in for a rude awakening this November. Looking forward to our Kansas game.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Reading all the Gonzaga is overrated posts in RR is making my head hurt. They lost to St. Peter's. They are in for a rude awakening this November. Looking forward to our Kansas game.
The best part of anything over on RR or having to deal with a Kentucky fan in real life? We have owned them the last two meetings, and dominated them on the recruiting trail. Plus, they haven't made it out of the first round in two years...and havent been to the final four in seven years. Dallas cowboys of college hoops.

Reactions: christophero
Bagley was a huge talent. I don't think K would have brought him in if he was just another player.

I still think on balance it was a good decision. I mean Carter's career didn't exactly suffer. If anything it allowed him to show some forward skills. I recall the real problem was the team just didn't play together that well. IN retrospect, perhaps featuring Trent more and Grayson a little less (as much as I liked him) might have been a better strategy. And IMO Duval was not a leader.

Even then, a better roll around the rim and it's a Final Four team.

The biggest problem the 2018 team had, IMO, was a point guard who couldn't shoot well enough to make defenses play him honestly.

Plus starting four freshmen. Bagley was a net positive, IMO, and by a big margin. He wasn't hostile to the media. Not even close. But he answered every question as if he had run it by legal to make sure it was as anodyne as possible. Most of Duke's OADs make some effort to unpack their bags and enjoy the ride. Bagley and Rivers are the two who did not give that impression to the media and to the public. Duke Basketball as Corporation 101.

We were more talented with Bagley. Not sure the chemistry was there with him though. Bringing him on late was bad enough. The trip to the Dominican got cancelled. He wasn't eligible yet. Coincidence? I'm sure that ruffled some feathers. I also think him wanting to wear a retired jersey showed a selfish nature. More ruffled feathers?

In no way am I saying he was the problem. But, we were 5-0 without him, 6-0 if you count the Michigan State game, which he played the first 10 minutes. And during the 5 game win streak, Duke beat a very good Clemson team at their place, which was the only game at home Clemson lost that season.

I really liked that team. Didn't love Duval but otherwise that was a great and talented team that should've gone to the final four. I will never get over the block call on Wendell in overtime. I knew it was over as soon as they blew that call.

Boy that's a tough one to foul out on. I now the Kansas guy moved to his right which made it an unorthodox impact, but it didn't look like Wendell moved at all.

Take a look at Grayson's shot at the end of regulation. I don't know how to link it. How did that not go in? It goes right over the basket!

Reactions: hart2chesson
Up 3 in regulation...protect the 3pt line...Duvall went for a steal he been getting all season...he missed....the kid hit a wide open 3.....#ugghh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT