ADVERTISEMENT

Is DUKE's present team a legit 10 deep rotation?

Humphries averaged 20 and 10 at Minnesota if memory serves. He might have helped when all our bigs fouled out against UConn. Too soon I know.

That 20/10 along with Deng would've been nice. Deng would've played his natural position at the wing/sf and Kris at the pf. Are challenge would've been Kris' dad in the stands telling Chris Duhon to feed Kris on the block. Granted Shavilk did not have the confidence of Kris and it showed. Michael Thompson transferred. Kris would've been nice, but the chemistry would've been tested. K made the right decision, it probably motivated him too as a coach.

Reactions: christophero
That 20/10 along with Deng would've been nice. Deng would've played his natural position at the wing/sf and Kris at the pf. Are challenge would've been Kris' dad in the stands telling Chris Duhon to feed Kris on the block. Granted Shavilk did not have the confidence of Kris and it showed. Michael Thompson transferred. Kris would've been nice, but the chemistry would've been tested. K made the right decision, it probably motivated him too as a coach.
You are right about the chemistry issues (something I've said is very important ha) but Humphries was a stud his one year in college. Shavlik was a bit soft from what I remember. I know he had injuries. I was suprised when he left for the draft as he was pretty average at Duke but he did make it in the NBA. The Landlord needed some help. Deng was great, but was more of a wing. But you can't demand a starting position either, if that is what happened. Still, a Landlord, Kris, Deng, and JJ team would probably have cut the nets down. We will never know. We also lost Sean Livingston, who went straight to the NBA. Add those 2 and that's 1999 talent. Although maybe Dockery and Shav transfer.

Last edited:
You are right about the chemistry issues (something I've said is very important ha) but Humphries was a stud his one year in college. Shavlik was a bit soft from what I remember. I know he had injuries. I was suprised when he left for the draft as he was pretty average at Duke but he did make it in the NBA. The Landlord needed some help. Deng was great, but was more of a wing. But you can't demand a starting position either, if that is what happened. Still, a Landlord, Kris, Deng, and JJ team would probably have cut the nets down. We will never know. We also lost Sean Livingston, who went straight to the NBA. Add those 2 and that's 1999 talent. Although maybe Dockery and Shav transfer.
Minnesota went 12-18 with Humphries. All he cared about was his stats.

Minnesota went 12-18 with Humphries. All he cared about was his stats.

That was the chance of picking up Humphries. The family was fully aware of who he would play with at DUKE. But they were also aware they wanted Kris to be a 1# option.

Livingston and Humphries did not overlap. Humphries was in the same class as Deng. Livingston was a year behind, in the same class as DeMarcus Nelson.

Humphries' father essentially demanded not only a starting role but a starring role, essentially wanting a guarantee that Duke would tailor its 2004 offense around Humphries.

Krzyzewski declined and the parties went their respective ways.

That 2004 Duke team stared senior Chris Duhon, junior Daniel Ewing, sophomores J.J. Redick and Shelden Williams and freshman Luol Deng. Sophomores Shavlik Randolph and Sean Dockery provided most of the bench production.

Duke could have started Williams at the 5, Humphries at the 4, Deng at the 3, Redick at the 2, Duhon at point, with Ewing as the super sixth man. It could have worked if Humphries had been able to play in a team concept and Ewing had accepted a demotion as an upperclassman.

Probably yes on Ewing. But Humphries was a me-first player who got what he wanted and needed at Minnesota. If people think Bagley disrupted chemistry, I cannot imagine what people would have thought about Humphries.

Livingston and Humphries did not overlap. Humphries was in the same class as Deng. Livingston was a year behind, in the same class as DeMarcus Nelson.

Humphries' father essentially demanded not only a starting role but a starring role, essentially wanting a guarantee that Duke would tailor its 2004 offense around Humphries.

Krzyzewski declined and the parties went their respective ways.

That 2004 Duke team stared senior Chris Duhon, junior Daniel Ewing, sophomores J.J. Redick and Shelden Williams and freshman Luol Deng. Sophomores Shavlik Randolph and Sean Dockery provided most of the bench production.

Duke could have started Williams at the 5, Humphries at the 4, Deng at the 3, Redick at the 2, Duhon at point, with Ewing as the super sixth man. It could have worked if Humphries had been able to play in a team concept and Ewing had accepted a demotion as an upperclassman.

Probably yes on Ewing. But Humphries was a me-first player who got what he wanted and needed at Minnesota. If people think Bagley disrupted chemistry, I cannot imagine what people would have thought about Humphries.

Excellent History Lesson. The Humphries situation is playing itself out in modern times. Now, the issues Duke and others schools are having is the transfer portal priority. Do you go and get a player who demands the world or a player that fits the concept of what you are presently doing? The thing about the portal is the player is already proven and has some leverage.

There are tons of options in the portal. I would like to see us get 2 a year. Like we did with Young and Grandison.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Technically speaking Duke got three this year . I think as players begin to stay the navigation of the transfer portal will become harder .

Reactions: jamsession3
Reading all the Gonzaga is overrated posts in RR is making my head hurt. They lost to St. Peter's. They are in for a rude awakening this November. Looking forward to our Kansas game.
I actually think this Gonzaga team is more balanced than last year’s team, and Few isn’t trying to get 10 players starters minutes. Imagine it will be a more cohesive team and they will let Timme and Strawther and Bolton lead this team versus trying to make Holgrem a leader on a veteran team. The two transfers that they brought in with Malachi Smith and Efton Reid will make big difference if they are a Final Four team. That and if Hunter Salis steps up as stud PG.

Hard to tell how good our team will be without Grandison and Proctor playing. My only concerns are shooting and rebounding/interior toughness. Those 2 and Young should help, but based on what I've seen we do not seem as solid in the frontcourt as last year. If Mitchell plays that good that will help as well. I'd guess a 3 seed at the moment, maybe a 2 seed if things come together. We also have a lot of guys who have never played together, even more than usual. And the ACC looks like it will be better. It looks like a 3 way race between us, UNC and Virginia. Virginia is going to be tough; nearly their entire team is back.

Last edited:
I actually think this Gonzaga team is more balanced than last year’s team, and Few isn’t trying to get 10 players starters minutes. Imagine it will be a more cohesive team and they will let Timme and Strawther and Bolton lead this team versus trying to make Holgrem a leader on a veteran team. The two transfers that they brought in with Malachi Smith and Efton Reid will make big difference if they are a Final Four team. That and if Hunter Salis steps up as stud PG.
Is Sallis good? He was a 5 star but never played in the games I watched

Sallis had a pretty unremarkable season but is possibly poised for a big jump. He averaged 4 a game. More of a combo guard. Hickman is the projected starter at PG. And they have Bolton, Swarther and Smith on the wings. But Sallis could be a good scorer off the bench. That's 3 seniors, a junior and a sophomore in the starting 5. They also have the junior Watson at PF if they want to go bigger. Or the LSU transfer. Smith and the LSU center seem to have patched their 2 big holes. They should be the one seed out west again, but the pressures mounting on Few to win it all. I guess there are worse problems to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Do you mean UL? Oh Miami. Took me a while to think of that. Long work week. How is Syracuse looking? You guys seemed to have lost a lot. Swinder leaving was a big one. I liked him. Did Buddy stay in the draft? (Looked it up he did) Sounds like you have a good freshman class incoming.

Last edited:
Are we really talking about seeds in August ? It’s August for Christ sakes can we play a couple games before March?

no one knows what any team will do until they go against actual opposing competition.
if we want to really worry let’s talk about Grandison lingering injuries. Most are worried about Proctor but Grandison has yet to practice with the team as well.

Do you mean UL? Oh Miami. Took me a while to think of that. Long work week. How is Syracuse looking? You guys seemed to have lost a lot. Swinder leaving was a big one. I liked him. Did Buddy stay in the draft? (Looked it up he did) Sounds like you have a good freshman class incoming.
Yep. Swider was a pleasant surprise last year. Both Boeheims are gone also. Girard and Edwards are back. One of the coaches thinks that Joe could be near the tops in the country in scoring this year. And Jesse should be one of the best bigs in the conference. Benny Williams and Symir Torrence will be improved, as well.

The freshman standout will be Judah Mintz. Someone has him on their 2023 NBA mock draft. We will be better defensively. But not as good on the scoring side. Miami, ND, and FSU will be better. Not sure where the Cuse lands.

Syracuse seems like a bubble team. Depends on how good the freshman are. I like Girard but him jacking up 15-20 shots is not in the best interest of your team.

Syracuse seems like a bubble team. Depends on how good the freshman are. I like Girard but him jacking up 15-20 shots is not in the best interest of your team.
Same thoughts on Girard. But, thats what is probably going to happen. At least he is not the primary ball handler this year. Torrence and Mintz will carry that load. I think you are correct. Bubble team again.

I mean we could say it's pointless to talk about anything in August but it's a message board. :)
No we’ve seen scrimmage videos so we could say that if Flip and Lively aren’t careful and play to their potential then Young and Mitchell will steal minutes.
If Grandison’s injury bug continues will Schutt or Blakes step up or is Proctor the answer at sg? I think he is.

It’s august and I miss the “we are terrible, we won’t win another game….” posts when Duke is down 10-6, 7 minutes into a game
Why is that a crack at me 44? And I thought you didn’t care 😂

Only six points after seven minutes?? That's reason for panic. 25-17 would be no worries, but 10-6 is worrisome

I have to admit I'm getting really curious about how Jon is as a head coach. Tactically, as a motivator... all of it.

We know he has the recruiting down. I hope as a coach he's almost a hybrid of Brad Stevens and Jay Wright. A players' coach with tactical brilliance.

I have to admit I'm getting really curious about how Jon is as a head coach. Tactically, as a motivator... all of it.

We know he has the recruiting down. I hope as a coach he's almost a hybrid of Brad Stevens and Jay Wright. A players' coach with tactical brilliance.
I want him to be him self set his own path as well as his staff. It’s a different era .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT