ADVERTISEMENT

Is DUKE's present team a legit 10 deep rotation?

Hurt could have transferred. I wouldn't have liked it, but the NBA was not his only option.
I mean yeah, I guess literally it wasn’t, but he wasn’t going anywhere but the NBA/pro after that season. He came in thinking he was a OAD, and at his age, his dad’s mindset, etc. there was never an alternative

But the pros aren't interested. Europe is an option, but it would have been no matter when he left.

Hurt planned on one year. If he could have went to the NBA right out of high school he would have been gone just like Johnson. Both like many came to Duke and other big programs for the exposure. Just my opinon. OFC

Hurt to me is a 4 year guy. Like Timme. But these guys don't seem to listen to the experts. They just are hell bent on going. Being a top 15 guy in high school has nothing to do with their NBA draft status.

Hurt to me is a 4 year guy. Like Timme. But these guys don't seem to listen to the experts. They just are hell bent on going. Being a top 15 guy in high school has nothing to do with their NBA draft status.
Hurt listened to his inter circle and that’s what hurt him lol. He was never going to be like Timme. He always had a shot just everything else needed to evolve with his game and it hasn’t . Hurt isn’t the only kid to get bad advice .

Reactions: christophero
Hurt did the right thing. He wasn't going to play much with Banchero on the team and, yes, I believe that would have hurt his chances of being drafted. He's made to be an overseas player. Nothing wrong with that, some dudes over there are making as much or more than bench players in the NBA.

Hurt did the right thing. He wasn't going to play much with Banchero on the team and, yes, I believe that would have hurt his chances of being drafted. He's made to be an overseas player. Nothing wrong with that, some dudes over there are making as much or more than bench players in the NBA.
Is Hurt even playing over seas?

He had a 2 way contract that expired. He might have a G League deal. But don't worry, his agent gets a third of that.

He had a 2 way contract that expired. He might have a G League deal. But don't worry, his agent gets a third of that.
I know the rockets pulled his two way contract before last season started and was on their summer league roster but very limited minutes .
Just read and my mistake , last season he signed a two way with Houston after the draft and was waived then played on the Memphis gleague team. Looks like he may be headed over seas but no word yet . Scouts all say his shot is pure but his lack of quickness and lateral movement don’t make him a good fit for the league .

Last edited:
I wish Hurt well, I actually feel bad for him. Because this is kind of a worst case scenario for him leaving early. And him not developing the rest of his game means that even overseas he will need to be a scorer.

I wish Hurt well, I actually feel bad for him. Because this is kind of a worst case scenario for him leaving early. And him not developing the rest of his game means that even overseas he will need to be a scorer.
He has had more opportunities than the average Joe. The kid had 2 years at Duke, and now he’s finding out he’s not good enough to make it in the nba.
It’s not like he’ll be in the soup kitchen line though.

I don’t feel bad for him. He was given every bit of information he needed prior to coming to his choice . Same for all kids that leave school early . It is truly up to them to progress where needed.

Hurt missed much of last season with a knee injury. That suggests that the career obits may be a bit premature. If Duncan Robinson can find a spot in the NBA, I'm inclined to believe that Hurt can find a spot.

Or is anyone under the impression that Robinson brings anything to the table other than perimeter shooting?

Imagine if you will a 2021-22 Duke lineup of Mark Williams, Paolo Banchero, Matt Hurt, Wendell Moore and Roach or Keels, with Griffin off the bench, backing up at the 2 and the 3.

Sure, defensively challenged. But would a junior Hurt really have been a worse defender than a freshman Griffin? If, so, a heap of zone might have been in order.

But that team could have put a prodigious amount of firepower on the court and just dared anyone to match it.

Last edited:
If Hurt stays do we keep our recruits? How would K use him? Would PB get less touches? Lots of what ifs when you keep a player that we know what they can and can not do.

Hurt missed much of last season with a knee injury. That suggests that the career obits may be a bit premature. If Duncan Robinson can find a spot in the NBA, I'm inclined to believe that Hurt can find a spot.

Or is anyone under the impression that Robinson brings anything to the table other than perimeter shooting?

Imagine if you will a 2021-22 Duke lineup of Mark Williams, Paolo Banchero, Matt Hurt, Wendell Moore and Roach or Keels, with Griffin off the bench, backing up at the 2 and the 3.

Sure, defensively challenged. But would a junior Hurt really have been a worse defender than a freshman Griffin? If, so, a heap of zone might have been in order.

But that team could have put a prodigious amount of firepower on the court and just dared anyone to match it.
Hurts shot hasn’t translated and the injury only further delayed his career in an upward battle he already had to make a roster . Did the Memphis gleague affiliate retain him? Even Robinson himself has lost his shot once teams began to run him of the line . I mean if Hurt couldn’t make it with Houston during a complete youth rebuild that needs shooters I don’t know where he’s land .

We should factor one of these into every minutes discussion until the end of time. 6 weeks? Proctor and Grandison may both start.

Roach, Grandison, Mitchell Flip and Lively til Whitehead is back. No problem unless it lingers.
Yup. Throw Proctor in there. No inside information (we know how that goes on this board), but 6-8 weeks is a normal recovery so shoudo be okay.

Have we ever gone into a season fully healthy? Maybe the forties. That's okay we won't need out best player against Kansas.

Last edited:
I was talking to my son about this last night. Seems every season there has to be at least one foot injury.
Duke is just going to have to give Schutt, Proctor, Blakes and probably even Catchings some run. ( Catchings for his defense at the three since he used to play PF).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT