ADVERTISEMENT

How long till..

I think this could absolutely work and would be ideal. Kon is going to get good minutes as will Stewart. I think that starting 5 with Kon and Sean first two off the bench is ideal.

I do hope Ngongba can get healthy and give a few minutes
I’d rather see Stewart play PF and have Cooper at SF. One thing this year showed me was how important having a couple Soohomore or Juniors in the starting lineup.

If Evans comes in and shows that he needs more minutes then great. I would rather have instant offense off the bench with Evans, Kon, and Harris than bringing in a defensive stopper like Stewart or Mitchell. I really think Harris is going to surprise a bunch of folks this coming season. Kid is deadly from 3 point range and knows how to move without the ball.

I’d rather see Stewart play PF and have Cooper at SF. One thing this year showed me was how important having a couple Soohomore or Juniors in the starting lineup.

If Evans comes in and shows that he needs more minutes then great. I would rather have instant offense off the bench with Evans, Kon, and Harris than bringing in a defensive stopper like Stewart or Mitchell. I really think Harris is going to surprise a bunch of folks this coming season. Kid is deadly from 3 point range and knows how to move without the ball.
He won’t unless he does more than shoot 3’s. I think that is what hurt Power game in his freshman year. Teams began knowing he could hit a three not if he would and they played tougher defense on him as the season progressed. The problem with playing Flagg strictly at the sf spot, what do you do with the other three sf coming in?

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Think we will have an answer on multiple guys by the end of next week.
I think Stewart comes back expecting to start alongside Flaag. I’d also roll out the red carpet if McCain were to decide to stay. Just highly doubt he does.

Just really would love Sean back. He seems like a Duke kid and I really think he comes back, even if he's the 6th man. I get good vibes about him returning

Reactions: IOWABLUDEVIL
I am a Harris fan after this weekend. Playing this well on a big stage will make him rise in the rankings. He reminds me of David McClure with a 3 point shot.

I second this . If Schutt returns it would surprise me .
I hope Schutt at least tries to play at Duke one season when he’s not injured. Between him and Harris, they could help with coming off the bench and providing some outside shooting.
Once again . Duke is not going to pull starters from the portal only role players.

You take McCain back in a heartbeat over anyone not named Flagg, Evan or Foster .
I take McCain coming back over anyone other than Flagg and possibly Malauch.

I am a Harris fan after this weekend. Playing this well on a big stage will make him rise in the rankings. He reminds me of David McClure with a 3 point shot.
He’s been doing at almost every major tournament that he plays in over the last 9 months to a year.

Reactions: christophero
Just saw a post where McCain's brother, Jayce said it was not Jared's Snapchat that posted it. We still have hope 🤞🤞🤞
Didn’t make sense for him to post that. I don’t think you point out a mock draft position unless you plan to stay in college for another year. He will undoubtedly test the waters and most likely go pro. Besides young, I would be more surprised to see McCain stay for another year than any other.

We should get announcements this week as to who is declaring. Flip, McCain likely. I'm not as high on us next year as some as we will likely be similar to Banchero's year, but with less physicality. Getting a Theo type would go a long way, as would getting a jump from Stewart and/or Mitchell back. I would assume we get 1-2 guards back. Us looking for a portal guard probably means most of our guards are leaving. A top ranked recruiting class is nice, but we need experienced pieces around it to be a serious contender. I still think keeping Mitchell is key.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jjallen
We should get announcements this week as to who is declaring. Flip, McCain likely. I'm not as high on us next year as some as we will likely be similar to Banchero's year, but with less physicality. Getting a Theo type would go a long way, as would getting a jump from Stewart and/or Mitchell back. I would assume we get 1-2 guards back. Us looking for a portal guard probably means most of our guards are leaving. A top ranked recruiting class is nice, but we need experienced pieces around it to be a serious contender. I still think keeping Mitchell is key.
Why is keeping Mitchell Key? He added almost nothing last year. What is really needed is a quality point guard who can reliably distribute the ball, defend, and help with scoring. OFC

When Mitchell is playing well he is a tough glue guy. I admit he didn't do it consistently, but my hope is he does as a junior. Stewart could surpass him but he has a long way to go. But I get why people are down on Mitchell. He also missed almost the entire off season last year. Agree we need a PG, but I think Proctor can be that despite his last game. He did play well against Houston. Proctor and Mitchell as juniors have been through the wars and can guide our young team.

Duke is not adding a point guard in the portal. There is a chance Proctor and/or Foster will be back to run the point. Do you feel that both will be gone next year??

I think we will get two back from our rotation. What we will lack is experience. So we’re going to need to tap into the portal. I’m not saying whether it will be a guard or big, but we have some major uncertainty with the class coming in.

I like Jon, but he’s young, so I think a decent veteran presence on the court will be needed.

As much as this pains me to admit, Hurley at UConn took a title team from last season and made them better.

The transfer Cam Spencer may have been his best pick up.

Reactions: sheyduke
Count me as one that thinks we really need a PG that can break down a defense and create for others.

Proctor is extremely overrated IMO….Good defender but nothing more than a stand still three point shooter. Hes got an average shot at best….

Foster at least could drive and attack the basket. He’s the better option IMO but would be better suited as a two guard. I don’t see him as a PG unless his handle improves significantly.

It’s been stated Foster wants to be point guard, so you would be fine losing both Proctor and Foster to bring in a new point guard? I would prefer to keep both Duke players before someone else came in. If both left then obviously the portal would have to be that option. I’m hoping both come back.

For those that have seen or watched enough of Kon or Evans, how good are they? I'm not talking about highlights that people see on YouTube, but actually watch. I'm only used to seeing the big names that we see on TV such as montverde, Paul VI, IMG, Oakhill etc. Not trying to diminish them but just wondering their level of competition.

I wonder if Jon already knows what people are doing. Even if you are going to test the waters, you should have a pretty good idea of what you are going to do. Or are people waiting on other's decisions? Seems like if you are going to hit the portal the sooner the better; both for your sake and the team's.

I wonder if Jon already knows what people are doing. Even if you are going to test the waters, you should have a pretty good idea of what you are going to do. Or are people waiting on other's decisions? Seems like if you are going to hit the portal the sooner the better; both for your sake and the team's.
Some guys might be waiting until after the team banquet (this Thursday?)

When Mitchell is playing well he is a tough glue guy. I admit he didn't do it consistently, but my hope is he does as a junior. Stewart could surpass him but he has a long way to go. But I get why people are down on Mitchell. He also missed almost the entire off season last year. Agree we need a PG, but I think Proctor can be that despite his last game. He did play well against Houston. Proctor and Mitchell as juniors have been through the wars and can guide our young team.
Mitshell cannot score against good teams and is far from a good foul shooter. His defense is nothing to write home about. Stewart has more upside, so I would give the minutes to him over Mitchell. OFC

Mitshell cannot score against good teams and is far from a good foul shooter. His defense is nothing to write home about. Stewart has more upside, so I would give the minutes to him over Mitchell. OFC
This X 10. It's nothing personal against Mark, but if he played for anyone other than Duke, we'd make fun of him.

This X 10. It's nothing personal against Mark, but if he played for anyone other than Duke, we'd make fun of him.
The kid played out of position. Flip and Mark played out of position. It showed itself all year. Many of us on the board said Flip needed a center with him and Mark is a matchup nightmare on the wing. Jon didn't push that agenda.

I would love to hear that Mitchell is putting up 500 three pointers and 500 foul shots every day between now and mid November. Even on this board, we are divided as fans, and that's perfectly fair. Mitchell (like pretty much everyone on the team this past year) was inconsistent for sure. Still, Chris and I welcome him back. He showed me enough potential that I want him next year, even as a 6-7 energy guy coming off the bench.

The thing I hate about all the potential departures is Duke mens basketball Instagram page will give each player "Their Day"... JUST RIP THE BAND-AID OFF. Tell us one time and let s move on. It gets dragged out, and also it does hurt us in the transfer portal and uncommitt
Agreed. If it helps with recruiting so be it. But how much attention does a human being need.

I would love to hear that Mitchell is putting up 500 three pointers and 500 foul shots every day between now and mid November. Even on this board, we are divided as fans, and that's perfectly fair. Mitchell (like pretty much everyone on the team this past year) was inconsistent for sure. Still, Chris and I welcome him back. He showed me enough potential that I want him next year, even as a 6-7 energy guy coming off the bench.
That's a great workout. What I want is for him to play to his strength. Duke take advantage of capabilities.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
While I agree Chris . Some that are iffy need to ask their selfs, am I better fitted for next years team . Proctor , Foster and McCain( in no way do I think McCain returns .) are better suited with the length and athleticism Duke can put on the floor .
Mitchell coming back would be a defensive stopper with Proctor .
I think once the dust settles Duke gets at least three players thought to be leaving return and Stewart.

Foster
Proctor
Mitchell
Stewart
Blakes
Power
Schutt
Flagg
Evans
Ngonba
Maluch
Knupp
Harris
Amari Williams (Drexel Grad Transfer Big Man, Averaged 12ppg, 7 rpg, 1.8 bpg last season)

I would be happy with this Roster ^. Just don’t see any way either Flip nor McCain come back if either one or both of them do, I am good with losing a couple of the Freshmen not named Flagg or Evans.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession2
Foster
Proctor
Mitchell
Stewart
Blakes
Schutt
Flagg
Evans
Ngonba
Maluch
Harris
Amari Williams (Drexel Grad Transfer Big Man, Averaged 12ppg, 7 rpg, 1.8 bpg last season)

I would be happy with this Roster ^. Just don’t see any way either Flip nor McCain come back if either one or both of them do, I am good with losing a couple of the Freshmen not named Flagg or Evans.
No Knup? No Power?

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Shey ^ good catch! I had forgotten to list them. Yep absolutely want Power back and Knup to still come to Duke. I’m going to edit my post above.

Reactions: sheyduke
Shey ^ good catch! I had forgotten to list them. Yep absolutely want Power back and Knup to still come to Duke. I’m going to edit my post above.

You're going to have to edit again. 14 puts us over the limit. Also, I believe 2017 is the only season we've ever utilized all 13 scholarships. I'd probably cut 2 more from that list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT