ADVERTISEMENT

How long till..

Yeah I would love for Proctor to come back, Mitchell too. No they aren’t future HoFers but if they can both make incremental improvements like they did this past season they’ll be high level starters with plenty of experience.

Proctor needs to hunt his shot a little more aggressively and add a little mass so he can use that back down fadeaway more often. Mitchell needs to spend all off season taking 857,000,000 shots a day until that jumper doesn’t cause my eyes to try and claw out of my skull.

If we got those two back along with Foster and Stewart, Duke would be freaking scary next year, and perhaps have the right mix of experience and talent to take it all the way.

Never know what these kids are going to
do or who is in their camp and giving them
bad advice. Imo, Proctor, Foster, and Mitchell would be foolish to declare for the NBA Draft and/or transfer out. Not one of them would get drafted in this year’s first round of the nba draft. If they want to keep their starting spots or be in the regular rotation they all have the upper hand in earning all the minutes they can handle because of the experience they have playing in the Duke system, especially with Proctor and Foster being the primary ball handlers.

I see no situation where Flip and/or McCain return. No reason for either of them to return if they are both projected to be lottery draft picks in this summer’s draft. I enjoyed watching both of them compete for our Blue Devils.

Don’t think Roach comes back, but if he does of course we would love for The Captain to return!

I don’t see how proctor and Mitchell are gone. Is it y’all’s thinking they are going into portal?

I don’t see how proctor and Mitchell are gone. Is it y’all’s thinking they are going into portal?
I think that would be what would happen if they are not at Duke next year. Zero chance Mark gets drafted and I see no way Proctor gets drafted, outside or mid second round because he's a 6'4 guard.

I would personally take either back but with how loaded we are in the front court (if Sean comes back) I'd love a junior Proctor.

Have we given up on J Shutt? Is he possibly the best shooter on the team after McCain leaves?
I would love to see Schutt return given the potential massive backcourt departures. I know Jaden's defensive capabilities are limited, but we need a sniper guard and I think he could flourish in an expanded reserve role. I think Foster returns, and possibly Proctor among our guards.

As far as Mitchell/Stewart, if you have to say goodbye to one, who would you prefer to stay?

OFC

There was rumors as well if Schutt does return he’s taking a possible medical red shirt .
Proctor wouldn’t transfer. It’s simply stay or go pro .
Mitchell it’s probably between him and his camp what he’s going to do . Right now it’s probably 50/50 stay or transfer out .
Stewart just needs to be made aware that he will get playing time . A course this is just my opinion but I don’t see him staying if he’s going to log more time on the bench then on the court as a sophomore .
I think Power might be more 40/60 transfer. He’s a shooter and a good one so teams will be after him .

It's probable that Foster came to Duke expecting Proctor to be gone after this season.

If Proctor decides to return next year, Foster has a decision to make -- share PG duties or be the lead PG elsewhere.

It's probable that Foster came to Duke expecting Proctor to be gone after this season.

If Proctor decides to return next year, Foster has a decision to make -- share PG duties or be the lead PG elsewhere.
Or one becomes the secondary ball handler that is needed and add depth from the portal at pg . That’s still a tall line up .

Reactions: bullcity gamer
The speculation of mass exodus doesn't surprise me much. I think last year was an anomaly with guys like Flip and Roach and Proctor coming back. Sure, it's exciting to have the top recruiting class in the country coming in for next season, but I cannot help to think that we need some 3-4 year building block players who can grow and mature into leadership roles. I think it's unrealistic for an 18 year old freshman, no matter how highly ranked, to step on the court and be a leader.

Who's the leader next season? I don't really expect Proctor to come back, but if he did, could he be or Junior leader? Maybe. Mitchell may or may not come back, but it seems he has a lot of work to do on his own game. Who's left?? Guys like Blakes, Schutt, Power, Stewart who barely played this year? Maybe Foster if he sticks around, but again barely played as a freshman due to injury?

Do we want a team of highly touted 18 year old incoming freshman, or do we want a team of 25 year old, 5th year grad students who are seasoned? I think most of us here would argue we want a blend of both with a couple good grabs from the transfer portal. I like Jon, and I think he's had a successful first 2 years, but I would like to see a clear strategy to long term team building instead of just stellar recruiting.

I was just going thru some possible lineups for next season and looking at who might stay and go. I’m not sure how it will all play out. The one I came to that was very interesting:

Leave Early- Flip, McCain and Roach
Transfer-Reeves and Schutt

Returning- Proctor, Foster, Mitchell, Stewart, Power (could transfer) and Blakes (could transfer)

Freshmen- Flagg, Maluach, Evans, Knueppel, Ngongba and Harris

That’s 12 man roster (6 returns and 6 freshmen)

Possible Starters: Proctor, Foster, Flagg, Mitchell and Maluach

Main Bench: Evans (2/3), Stewart (4/5), Power (3/4) and Knueppel (2/3)

Reserve Bench: Blakes (1 spot minutes), Harris (2/3/4 log jam spot minutes) and Ngongba (5 could be more but coming of injury)

Guard rotation of Proctor and Foster (like Jay Will and Duhon which both can be point). Then Evans to round out the guard point. That three very good guards.

SF rotation of Flagg and Power mainly. Then Knueppel getting some spot minutes here and also some at the off guard if needed.

PF/Center rotation could be a three man rotation with Mitchell, Maluach and Stewart bouncing between the 4 and 5 until Ngongba is fully healthy.

Obviously things could change and players could choose to go elsewhere (Mitchell, Power and Blakes) to get more minutes and some might opt to stay (Schutt and redshirt). It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. Either way future is very bright.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession2
The speculation of mass exodus doesn't surprise me much. I think last year was an anomaly with guys like Flip and Roach and Proctor coming back. Sure, it's exciting to have the top recruiting class in the country coming in for next season, but I cannot help to think that we need some 3-4 year building block players who can grow and mature into leadership roles. I think it's unrealistic for an 18 year old freshman, no matter how highly ranked, to step on the court and be a leader.

Who's the leader next season? I don't really expect Proctor to come back, but if he did, could he be or Junior leader? Maybe. Mitchell may or may not come back, but it seems he has a lot of work to do on his own game. Who's left?? Guys like Blakes, Schutt, Power, Stewart who barely played this year? Maybe Foster if he sticks around, but again barely played as a freshman due to injury?

Do we want a team of highly touted 18 year old incoming freshman, or do we want a team of 25 year old, 5th year grad students who are seasoned? I think most of us here would argue we want a blend of both with a couple good grabs from the transfer portal. I like Jon, and I think he's had a successful first 2 years, but I would like to see a clear strategy to long term team building instead of just stellar recruiting.

I’m all in on fully exploring the portal. I know some don’t like that, I don’t either but it’s exactly like what Krzyzewski said before he dived head on into OAD. He asked himself do you want to recruit them or play against them?

I’m tired of 24/25 year olds always on the other team. I know that extra COVID year is nearing the rear view mirror but it’s not there just yet. Case in point: both RJ Davis and Jeremy Roach could return for a fifth year if they wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
We are bringing on a historic super 6 class. We will see this month if guys want to compete with that. I hope they do.

Reactions: nboehman

I’m all in on fully exploring the portal. I know some don’t like that, I don’t either but it’s exactly like what Krzyzewski said before he dived head on into OAD. He asked himself do you want to recruit them or play against them?

I’m tired of 24/25 year olds always on the other team. I know that extra COVID year is nearing the rear view mirror but it’s not there just yet. Case in point: both RJ Davis and Jeremy Roach could return for a sixth year if they wanted.

It would be Year 5 for Roach and Davis if they were to return. Their freshman seasons were the 20-21 season.

I really enjoyed watching both Flip and McCain play for The Blue Devils. Currently Flip is projected to be drafted at 16 and McCain is projected to be drafted at 19 in the first round of this summer’s NBA Draft. There is no reason for either one of them to return, they have nothing left to prove at the collegiate level, unless 1) they want to try and improve their draft stock and attempt to become lottery picks for the 2025 NBA Draft which looks to be a Stronger Draft Class or 2) they just really enjoy college and want to attempt to make a Final 4 and play alongside Flagg & Company. I would love for them to come back and play for the Blue Devils, but I totally understand them moving on. Either Way, Thanks Flip and McCain for your time as Blue Devils if you ever get on here and read our crazy takes haha.

If I were Flip, I'd want to get away from college refs as soon as possible. For that reason I was surprised he came back, he was treated so poorly last year by the refs.

McCain can continue to build his "brand" from Duke for next year so it may come down to whether he wants to try his luck against the best of the best right away or wait a year. He did seem to have fun but he's the kind of guy who would have fun playing in some little town in the G League if necessary.

I really enjoyed watching both Flip and McCain play for The Blue Devils. Currently Flip is projected to be drafted at 16 and McCain is projected to be drafted at 19 in the first round of this summer’s NBA Draft. There is no reason for either one of them to return, they have nothing left to prove at the collegiate level, unless 1) they want to try and improve their draft stock and attempt to become lottery picks for the 2025 NBA Draft which looks to be a Stronger Draft Class or 2) they just really enjoy college and want to attempt to make a Final 4 and play alongside Flagg & Company. I would love for them to come back and play for the Blue Devils, but I totally understand them moving on. Either Way, Thanks Flip and McCain for your time as Blue Devils if you ever get on here and read our crazy takes haha.
I think NIL has changed the game. Would you rather return to college, be a big fish in a small pond and make millions in NIL (some players can) or go to the NBA, make millions and possibly be a small fish in a big pond? McCain is as close to being a household name than he will ever be in the NBA, at least in the immediate future anyway.

Exactly. He does not want that pressure or responsibility. Cooper is the SF. I'm praying we do not play him out of position. Sean loves the PF.
Cooper isn’t the starting small forward ,imo he’s the stretch four . You don’t recruit three other small forwards if your plan was to play Flagg at SF. If that is the staffs idea they have truly over recruited that position.

Last edited:
Cooper isn’t the starting small forward ,imo he’s the stretch four . You don’t re riot three other small forwards if your plan was to play Flagg at SF. If that is the staffs idea they have truly over recruited that position
Agreed, Cooper will play the 4. That is unless there are injuries or players getting a slow start out of the gate, then you could move Cooper to the 3, Stewart at the 4 and Maluach at the 5. But, I agree this won't be the lineup long term, if players are healthy and/or playing well.

Could a starting lineup of Proctor, Foster, Evans, Cooper and Maluach work?

Who is guarding the DJ Burns, Zach Eddys and Donovan Clingans of the world? Two freshman in the front court? I just don’t believe that is going to work unless its Paolo Banchero, Chris Webber, Zion or the like, in other words, underclassman with NBA ready bodies coming out of HS. I could be wrong but it feels like that is the trend in college ball right now.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Who is guarding the DJ Burns, Zach Eddys and Donovan Clingans of the world? Two freshman in the front court? I just don’t believe that is going to work unless its Paolo Banchero, Chris Webber, Zion or the like, in other words, underclassman with NBA ready bodies coming out of HS. I could be wrong but it feels like that is the trend in college ball right now.
Who are the big centers that are in the NCAA that will be playing next year. Are there any big impactful 7 footers? Burns, Edey and Clingan are all gone next year. I'm not questioning you, I don't want two freshman at the 4 and 5 either.

I thought I read somewhere on here that Foster came here to play point guard. Would one of Foster or Proctor assuming he comes back want to play shooting guard?

The Embiids of the world can guard them.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I think this could absolutely work and would be ideal. Kon is going to get good minutes as will Stewart. I think that starting 5 with Kon and Sean first two off the bench is ideal.

I do hope Ngongba can get healthy and give a few minutes

Reactions: sheyduke
I'd rather have Cooper and Maluach than Young and Flip

There's a lot to get sorted out over the next month or so, but I don't see both Mitchell and Stewart coming back. If it's Stewart, I find it hard to believe he would accept coming off the bench.

Who are the big centers that are in the NCAA that will be playing next year. Are there any big impactful 7 footers? Burns, Edey and Clingan are all gone next year. I'm not questioning you, I don't want two freshman at the 4 and 5 either.

I thought I read somewhere on here that Foster came here to play point guard. Would one of Foster or Proctor assuming he comes back want to play shooting guard?
Thought Clingan was a sophomore ?

Duke will still hit the portal to fill needs but a lot is going to depend on who is staying and going .

I have no idea who the big centers are but the last two years we have had problems with physical teams vs our babies

UNC will find the money, and a way, to get Bacot (and his ability to push guys under the basket without getting called for it) a 17th year of eligibility.

Book it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT