ADVERTISEMENT

Hardest Duke question?

TheDude1

Cameron Crazy
Apr 15, 2010
So, this is one question regarding Duke that I've always struggled with. I keep thinking it is maybe the hardest question I can consider.

Jon, Kyle, or Nolan?

Just impossible, I think.

So, this is one question regarding Duke that I've always struggled with. I keep thinking it is maybe the hardest question I can consider.

Jon, Kyle, or Nolan?

Just impossible, I think.

None of them become the players they were without the others.

Three of my all-time favorite Duke players....and I could never put them into an order. What does that tell you?

None of them become the players they were without the others.

Three of my all-time favorite Duke players....and I could never put them into an order. What does that tell you?

See, I struggle putting them in an order too! I feel like I can do it with nearly any other Duke players... but the three Ss? Kyle, tough as goddamn nails and a real unique character... Jon, one of the smartest guys we've ever had, a pure winner who had the nads to say that "It hasn't happened yet" line, which I think is the greatest line ever at Duke... Nolan, the People's Champ, beloved by Duke guys and opponents alike, a big brother to so many, with that smile and that willingness to make fun of himself... all great players, obviously, all three making that "hanging jersey" discussion so hard, but all three being such great kids and representatives...

I struggle choosing one, or putting them in a favorite order, more than with nearly any other Duke thing like that.

Reactions: Devilinside
I give the edge to Singler - his all around play and forgoing the NBA so we could win another NT was huge! Plus he just had a quiet nastiness about his play....need a 3? yep, need a rebound? yep, need a drive + 1, yep...he just seemed to have the ability to dial up what we needed when we needed it. He was a great team leader too.
Its a slight edge because Nolan and John were amazing too....tough call!

Jon’s crazy save to Eliot Williams seals it for me. I love smart basketball. Singler had a nice tip back buzzer beater from 10 ft. against St John’s in Cameron, but what I remember was him diving out of bounds all the time. Nolan’s biggest night was at home against UNC his senior year, 37 pts and a great and 1 lay in that turned the tide. He back peddled and gave it to the UNC player who fouled him.

Reactions: christophero
As unique as each was, and they were very different from each other and others before and after at Duke, maybe they are best thought of as a group/single entity.

Reactions: christophero
Jon because he played flawless basketball on both ends of the court at times during his senior year. Kyle never seemed to make the extra pass even if it was wide open. Basketball IQ is the most important part of the game. It defied all logic how great Jon was on the defensive end. The same could be said about Quinn Cook his senior year. That's why its been so disappointing that Grayson has seemed to struggle so much on both ends. Hopefully he will stop trying to fit in the rest of the year, and play like he did in his sophmore season.

The idea that it's hard to separate the three is a solid statement.

The best player at his collegiate peak was Smith, while Singler had the best career. All three were crucial to the title run, as were the other five who played substantial minutes. Every guy had a role and played it well.

If forced to choose the most important of the three to the title, though, it would be Scheyer. His transition to the point and his ability to run the offense without turning the ball over was spectacular and what I will probably remember most about that team and its run.

If we could only have one of them back, I'd pick N-Dot, but that's not to take anything away from the other two. They are all unforgettable

If we could only have one of them back, I'd pick N-Dot, but that's not to take anything away from the other two. They are all unforgettable
I have a really hard time picking among the 3 of them overall, but adding one to this team? That's a more palatable thing to consider for me, though the answer is still pretty tough.

Kyle would be the big wing we don't have. Nolan would automatically be our best perimeter defender and a versatile scorer.

I think I'd have to go w/ Jon, though. His leadership and smarts would bring some stability to a young team and he doesn't turn the ball over. We have plenty of scorers and Jon could get his, but his reliability and steadiness would be huge.

Reactions: DukefanKY
On this team I probably go with Jon although this team could use Kyle's hard nose play example. And Nolan would be in some faces. I don't really know to be honest. Truly the trinity. No pun intended on Duke's former name.
OFC

I think anyone of the three would be a great benefit to this Duke team. Their leadership and experience would really help!!
OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I think anyone of the three would be a great benefit to this Duke team. Their leadership and experience would really help!!
OFC

You are so correct but we have what we have and it's not over. This team could be a team of destiny and in a few years we could be talking about how great our starting line up was. Anyone know what the combined scoring is of Bags, Allen, Trent, Duval and Carter? Also I wonder has any two Duke players averaged more together rebounds than Bagley and Carter? It seems as far as Nolan, Jon and Kyle I think together than put up around 51 ppg. OFC

I have a really hard time picking among the 3 of them overall, but adding one to this team? That's a more palatable thing to consider for me, though the answer is still pretty tough.

Kyle would be the big wing we don't have. Nolan would automatically be our best perimeter defender and a versatile scorer.

I think I'd have to go w/ Jon, though. His leadership and smarts would bring some stability to a young team and he doesn't turn the ball over. We have plenty of scorers and Jon could get his, but his reliability and steadiness would be huge.

It would be a difficult choice for sure. My thinking with saying Nolan was mostly about him running the point, and some of the same reasons you mentioned about Jon....leadership and smarts. That's was an easy team to cheer for. IMO, a really good example of that "fist" we talk about.

Reactions: Dattier
Seeing Nolan grow and develop during his 4 years at Duke made him my all-time favorite.
Nolan has been a great ambassador for the program. He's one of the recruits I credit w/ a shift and improvement in our recruiting and how the program is perceived from the outside.

Reactions: jwill133 and Mpm277
I don't think it is coincidence the best Small Forwards in our programs history all Won Titles

- Grant Hill
- Mike Dunleavy
- Kyle Singler
- Justise Winslow

Deng should be on this list

All 3 of them complimented each other very well. In 2009-2010 I referred to them as S Cubed. Singler and Smith are my favorite Blue Devils of All-Time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT