ADVERTISEMENT

Focus on the positives

christophero

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
May 2, 2017
Look I get it. We lost to THEM. And it sucks. But I have 5 positives.
1. We broke our Final Four drought. It had been 7 long years. A monkey off our back and a little less pressure on Jon.
2. Coach K made the final four in his last year. He didn't flame out in the second round. We made a nice run, and got our week in the sun.
3. Theo John. My favorite player this year by far. Gave his all. May Jon see this and embrace the portal, and may transfers see the difference he made.
4. We kind of broke the one and done curse by getting to the final four. I was losing faith in the model. I'm still not thrilled with it; but it can be done.
5. The development of Roach, which hopefully will lead to success next year. Combine him with a transfer, or Moore or Keels, and we have some experience.
We had a very good year. We won the ACC regular season. I will focus on the positive, although I am heartbroken.

We need to hang onto guys too. If we can recruit so well surely we can convince a Coleman that he is a priority. If we have Coleman today we probably win.

I’m hoping a few of the guys return. If we are fortunate enough to have a couple of the guys return with whats coming in, next season looks promising. Bummed about tonite but gotta find some positive.

Lmao, 0 positives sorry. If the only positive with this roster was a regular season championship it was an absolute failure. And the sooner people realize roach isn’t the guy the better

Last edited:
1. We broke our Final Four drought. It had been 7 long years. A monkey off our back and a little less pressure on Jon.
2. Coach K made the final four in his last year. He didn't flame out in the second round. We made a nice run, and got our week in the sun.
3. Theo John. My favorite player this year by far. Gave his all. May Jon see this and embrace the portal, and may transfers see the difference he made.
4. We kind of broke the one and done curse by getting to the final four. I was losing faith in the model. I'm still not thrilled with it; but it can be done.
5. The development of Roach, which hopefully will lead to success next year. Combine him with a transfer, or Moore or Keels, and we have some experience.
We had a very good year. We won the ACC regular season. I will focus on the positive, although I am heartbroken.
There are some positives to pull from. The only problem is we have to here about Carolina ending Coaches regular season with a loss and now his career by them all freakin summer and years to come. They’ve won the last natty as well and playing for another one and will probably be kicking our hind ends next year each time because they will not lose hardly anyone so they will be older and stronger while we rely on freshmen again. We are not far away from having some miserable years in the future if Scheyer doesn’t keep pulling top tier players from the portal or recruitment! But the pendulum has swung well away from our side and doesn’t look to be coming back anytime soon! We are relying on a coach that’s never had his own program yet. Only time will tell but college hoops is a dog eat dog world and no one feels sorry for Coach or the Duke program outside the fan base and alumni of Duke!

Reactions: christophero
Hey man I'm trying. We didn't lose to Mercer, that was embarrassing. We lost a close game in the FF.
To unc which changes everything, for now and a while we’re little brother. Oh and they’ll get gg while only losing the beard next year, prepare for some azzkickings

losing to your bitter rival in the two most meaningful games of the goat’s career doesn’t yield a ton of positives

but i hear you. it’s just kind of the worst case scenario for a normally successful season

losing to your bitter rival in the two most meaningful games of the goat’s career doesn’t yield a ton of positives

but i hear you. it’s just kind of the worst case scenario for a normally successful season
What was a success about this season?

No but my point is they didn't pick us off in the second round. We made it to the last weekend, which we've only done in 3 of the last 18 seasons. I feel like crap right now believe me, but I posted pregame that this season was already a success. Don't let them take that from us. I'm trying to cheer people up but if that backfired I apologize.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeJim99
No but my point is they didn't pick us off in the second round. We made it to the last weekend, which we've only done in 3 of the last 18 seasons. I feel like crap right now believe me, but I posted pregame that this season was already a success. Don't let them take that from us.
0 about the season was a success, the only thing we “won” was an acc reg title lol. If we’re celebrating that we’re already turning into state. Massive failure and choke job

Excellent summary and perspective, christophero.

There are some positives to pull from. The only problem is we have to here about Carolina ending Coaches regular season with a loss and now his career by them all freakin summer and years to come. They’ve won the last natty as well and playing for another one and will probably be kicking our hind ends next year each time because they will not lose hardly anyone so they will be older and stronger while we rely on freshmen again. We are not far away from having some miserable years in the future if Scheyer doesn’t keep pulling top tier players from the portal or recruitment! But the pendulum has swung well away from our side and doesn’t look to be coming back anytime soon! We are relying on a coach that’s never had his own program yet. Only time will tell but college hoops is a dog eat dog world and no one feels sorry for Coach or the Duke program outside the fan base and alumni of Duke!
It’s swung to them for a while now.. they won in 09 then we got 10 and 15 but between both of those they were better for the most part.. then they got back to back championship games (winning one) now they kicked our tails last year and this year.. in all honestly unless Jon can be his own man and make some major adjustments quick we are in some serious trouble

It’s swung to them for a while now.. they won in 09 then we got 10 and 15 but between both of those they were better for the most part.. then they got back to back championship games (winning one) now they kicked our tails last year and this year.. in all honestly unless Jon can be his own man and make some major adjustments quick we are in some serious trouble
Been trying to tell people dark days are ahead but I keep hearing about our recruiting class lol. Next year gonna be a lot like last year unfortunately

Sucks that we lost. Especially to them. But we didn't play horrible and we didn't quit. We had several missed opportunities to take the lead to 6-8 points, but we played good enough to win, couldn't pull it off. They played great and mad some tough tough baskets... I'm a "Championship or its just another season" type of guy. So it is disappointing to me. But final 4 banner will be going up in the rafters... it is what it is... Great Career Coach K. We will definitely miss you.

I was kind of disappointed in Moore today. He really wasn't the same guy after the break earlier in the year. Remember how good he was early on? We looked like the best team in the country when he was leading us. With our backcourt inconsistencies we really needed more of him. (why do I keep saying that?) He disappeared at odd times this year.

I was kind of disappointed in Moore today. He really wasn't the same guy after the break earlier in the year. Remember how good he was early on? With our backcourt inconsistencies we really needed more of him. (why do I keep saying that?) He disappeared at odd times this year.
Just disappointed in general 😂

I was kind of disappointed in Moore today. He really wasn't the same guy after the break earlier in the year. Remember how good he was early on? We looked like the best team in the country when he was leading us. With our backcourt inconsistencies we really needed more of him. (why do I keep saying that?) He disappeared at odd times this year.
My point, we aren’t winning with guys like roach and Moore, there a bunch of jags. Gotta get some real players on this team, hit the portal hard , relying on 4 freshman next year aint it

Reactions: germantondevil
Roach had a good tournament. He didn't play well today; but let's not get carried away. I would take Moore back in a heartbeat.
Chris, God bless you man. It was a great season with a heartbreaking ending I think most of us will never get over. The two teams I couldn't stomach the thought of ending K's career was Kentucky or the holes. The cheaters ended it. This one sucks. Great FF run will forever be overshadowed by this loss. The way we lost makes it worse. I'm gutted. This has been a bad night. And it won't get better Monday when they win it either.

The first weekend losses kill me. They eat away at me all offseason. Final Four I can live with; even though losing to them sucks. Last year we didn't even make the tournament. I know our season got cancelled; but I don't think we would have won the ACC tournament.

The first weekend losses kill me. They eat away at me all offseason. Final Four I can live with; even though losing to them sucks. Last year we didn't even make the tournament. I know our season got cancelled; but I don't think we would have won the ACC tournament.
Maybe over time I will feel different, right now I can't enjoy this season. It hurts too much.

Would be great to have Moore back, but I'd say it's 65/35% he's gone... Keels coming back would help out alot. But definitely adding some legit experience and scoring, and muscle will be needed next year... this team fought at the end which makes the loss not so bad. BAD STILL, BUT not sick to my stomach giving up bad.

Serious question; how do Filipowski and Lively do against that UNC front line? They would get slaughtered. We absolutely need one or two Theo Johns. We just got outrebounded by a lot and we had Williams and banchero.

Reactions: germantondevil
I get we lost to our rival but a 2 seed making the final four four is a success. Could it have been better? Of course. I'm not thrilled with the loss but I think you are overreacting. We were not the number one overall seed or anything. A lot of people thought we should have been a 3 seed and would go out early. I don't consider every year we don't win it all a failure.

Last edited:
Then normal thought of "basketball success " is the Final 4, because it brings a banner... but to me Duke success is and Will always be A CHAMPIONSHIP... GOOD season but not a memorable championship season.

I get we lost to our rival but a 2 seed making the final four four is a success. Could it have been better? Of course. I'm not thrilled with the loss but I think you are overreacting. We were not the number one overall seed or anything. A lot of people thought we should have been a 3 seed and would go out early. I don't consider every year we don't win it all a failure.
To me it wasn't a success because we lost twice to the Cheats when it counted the most as well as losing in the ACC championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT