ADVERTISEMENT

First time we saw what we've been expecting?

TheDude1

Cameron Crazy
Apr 15, 2010
Was this the first time that we really saw the team we thought we'd see to start the year, minus maybe Bolden?

Nope, those that didn't give up on them saw this before. UNCheat, Louisville, at ND, FSU at home, Kansas with injuries. Just had to look.

I don't think so. Or maybe you are not getting my point. This one, we are seeing the team that we sort of expected, at the start of this year, to see at the end of the year... Kennard and Allen being killer, Tatum being dominant, Jefferson being an amazing solid leader, Giles being a long, lengthy pogo stick, Jackson being an aggressive JayWill looking dynamo, Jones playing good D but not being looked to to be one of the top few guards... Other than not getting to see much from Bolden, I think this is the closest we've seen to the "finished product" that we expected to see at the end of the year at the START of the year. A lot of games until now, one of those guys didn't play like this, or someone was out hurt, or something like that. This felt like the first with everyone playing their role to (lofty) expectations. Make sense?

I understood what you meant. My answer remains the same.

Reactions: Showenuff
I'll say nope. While they are playing good. If you listened to the second half they are still adjusting from what they were expected to be to what they have become.
The team I think everyone expected was Grayson, Luke, Tatum, Amile and Giles.

I'll take this team though

I understood what you meant. My answer remains the same.

But your examples actually show that maybe you don't get my point.

- The Kansas game, Tatum and Giles weren't even playing. Obviously everyone expected our end-of-the-year Duke team would have them.

- @ Notre Dame, Giles played very few minutes, Jackson only had like 2 points, and Jones played 38 minutes and scored a BUNCH of points... I think everyone expected Jackson to be a dynamic scorer as our third guard, Giles to get more minutes, and Jones maybe be our fourth guard in terms of minutes and not a top scorer but more a dedicated defender, by the time the end of the year rolled 'round.

-When we beat FSU at Duke, Grayson Allen had two points. I don't think anyone envisioned us at our best with Grayson getting two minutes.

I think tonight was the first time we've seen it all together at once, with every cog playing the way we dreamed of, for at least good chunks of the game.

Last edited:
Again, I understand your point. I don't agree with it. That's just the way it is.

Hm. I don't quite get how you can disagree when I am literally giving you the stats and box score stuff from those games. I fully expected Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum to play, and play big roles, for us in games this time of year. I don't know anyone who didn't?

Oh well, agree to disagree I suppose.

Bolden, btw, is the one guy I expected to have a bigger role by this time of the year. Wish he had gotten there... Really like a lot of what he brings to the table. Just needs to bring it all together. Sometimes that takes bigs a little longer than expected.

Hm. I don't quite get how you can disagree when I am literally giving you the stats and box score stuff from those games. I fully expected Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum to play, and play big roles, for us in games this time of year. I don't know anyone who didn't?

Bolden, btw, is the one guy I expected to have a bigger role by this time of the year. Wish he had gotten there... Really like a lot of what he brings to the table. Just needs to bring it all together. Sometimes that takes bigs a little longer than expected.

I think all the examples you showed proves dbav's point more. And that's that this team has a lot of versatility. Not everyone is going to play great every night. This team has more top-50 wins than any other team in the country. I think people just had unrealistic expectations and thought they would win every game and win big. That was never happening. Now, if you're asking is this team potentially getting 'really' good at the right time? They just might be.

Reactions: BettisND and dbav

I think all the examples you showed proves dbav's point more. And that's that this team has a lot of versatility. Not everyone is going to play great every night. This team has more top-50 wins than any other team in the country. I think people just had unrealistic expectations and thought they would win every game and win big. That was never happening. Now, if you're asking is this team potentially getting 'really' good at the right time? They just might be.
You are so right. I know my expectations were of The Jwill years when Duke would win by 20 nightly. If you really look at the resume they have a ton of great wins both at home, road and neutral. I think the close wins to the non ranked acc teams at home especially gives the feel that this year has been a real struggle... and it has... but even with the obvious flaws they are a pretty solid team

Sorry, don't mean to belabor the point, but I don't get this Jay. Dbav wasn't really making a clear point.

I said this was the first time we've seen the complete team many of us expected to see.

Dbav took a little, somewhat unnecessary jab...

(as an aside, but an important one... I think a few people got upset when I said earlier this year that I thought this team was fatally flawed and done in terms of being the power we had hoped for, and have sort of clung on to that and been angry about it and wanting to throw it back nastily, even though I said, repeatedly and clearly, I hoped to be proven wrong and wanted to be proven wrong, and would happily get called on it if I turned out to be wrong... Guys, I am a Duke grad, Duke athlete, Tent #1 guy in the toughest year we've had in a long, long time... I'm also a half empty sort of guy by default, unfortunately, but a negative post isn't the end of the world:)...)

...and then sort of missed my point, as evidenced by his examples, nearly NONE of which saw our entire team perform as each cog of it was hoped to perform at the start of the year.

He then said he both understood my point, and yet stood by his point, despite clear evidence showing that my point was valid even during his examples.

You are now saying he was making a point about versatility. I see no such point made at any... Well, point. Also I see nothing from him about players not playing well every night, which would actually be part of MY point... That tonight, we saw everyone play well for huge spurts that we hoped to see play well in the preseason.

About the second half of what you said, yes, this is basically what I am saying... That we are seeing the team come together in the right way at the PERFECT time. I think the guys have seemed at their peak of dialed in, and seem to be enjoying each other across the board. And I don't think we've seen such a clear of example of everyone being dialed in like that all in one game as this great win vs UNC.

Perhaps it's possible others just disagree with your point. Why is that so hard to get by?

They've played as a team before to win big games. Multiple guys stepped up in those games. Others did not. Just like tonight. Examples are plentiful.

I disagree with you. Move on.

Sure, agree to disagree. I do hope that my negative nancy post from earlier in the year isn't sticking in your craw... Sometimes I get too negative. Hope you can forgive it... Beyond my control at times;)

Anyway... What a great box score. Even love the minute distribution, for the most part.

Allen and Kennard are guards one and two. Together shoot over fifty percent to score nearly 40, five assists for Allen, and Luke with three steals and two blocks.

Jackson had some great minutes, athletic and physical, and after starting a bit cold (hey, he is a frosh!) got going and scored a timely 15 while pulling down five boards. He is so physical and athletic... Really reminds me of JWill in a way.

Jones had 21 minutes, which I like, and didn't force anything on offense... Shots should go to the three other guards whenever possible. But great D and solid senior leadership and hustle.

Tatum was filthy. Also shot over fifty percent, 24 pts, seven boards. Silky smooth and excellent D.

Amile had the least "him" game, but still had two blocks, eight points, four boards... And again, that leadership.... You see him bellowing on that bench?

And Harry I thought looked like the Harry I hoped for. The hustle, the length, the hands, the smoothness... And I loved that he got down and dirty and got up find, and smiling. Six points, seven boards, four blocks in only 15 minutes? That's a title winning piece of the puzzle.

Great, great game by everyone.

I'm still not overly impressed...not the same kinda feeling I had 2 years ago...ever since that first game against Wisconsin I knew we were gonna cut down the nets..this team makes me nervous .you never know what ur going to get .

@TheDude1, I still don't think it's the team we "expected" to start the year, but I do think they have evolved into a winner. They were a talented assortment of players before. Right now, they are a talented TEAM. Some of the leaders are different, and the way points are being scored is a little different.

I will say, in the tournament, Grayson and Tatum are who we hoped they'd be. And I'll also say we aren't what many said we were, which is just another iteration of last year's team.

Reactions: TheDude1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT