ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite THR Quotes....

Saw this in 2 different threads on RR. It was a novel so I just copied the important points of the post.

“Here are some Facst for you:

2015 Duke #1 Class= Nat. Champs

Underachieving teams with #1 Class=
Duke #1 Class 2016=Lost in the Sweet 16
Duke #1 Class 2017=Lost South Carolina 2nd round
Duke #1 Class 2018 = ????

Dukes last 3 years with the #1 recruiting Class=National Champs, Lost in Sweet 16, Lost in 2nd round”

I believe his facts are wrong but the way he wrote it out I’m having trouble deciphering it to figure out exactly how his facts are wrong

Saw this in 2 different threads on RR. It was a novel so I just copied the important points of the post.

“Here are some Facst for you:

2015 Duke #1 Class= Nat. Champs

Underachieving teams with #1 Class=
Duke #1 Class 2016=Lost in the Sweet 16
Duke #1 Class 2017=Lost South Carolina 2nd round
Duke #1 Class 2018 = ????

Dukes last 3 years with the #1 recruiting Class=National Champs, Lost in Sweet 16, Lost in 2nd round”

I believe his facts are wrong but the way he wrote it out I’m having trouble deciphering it to figure out exactly how his facts are wrong

All number 1 classes are not created the same. That 2016 team didn't underachieve at all.

Reactions: hart2chesson
It's not correct because we lost in the elite eight in 2018 a few months ago. Class of 14 won title in 15. Class of 18 will do ??? In 19.

Someone also said that they will sweep us and another guy said Little will stop Zion.
A buddy of mine also told my wife that UNC is the only team that could handle Duke. She asked if he’d been snorting Oxy. Little can’t handle Zion. He’s too big and fast. Anything is possible but Zion is like a train coming at you.

Just looked at THR and could not believe the thread about them losing a recruit.There are numerous references about other schools cheating and paying recruits and they are crippled because they are pure and honest.Just unbelievable that they ignore twenty plus years of systemic academic fraud smh

Just looked at THR and could not believe the thread about them losing a recruit.There are numerous references about other schools cheating and paying recruits and they are crippled because they are pure and honest.Just unbelievable that they ignore twenty plus years of systemic academic fraud smh
You can’t believe it? That sounds like a you problem. Sounds pretty standard to me.

Reactions: QC Dukie
From some medical brainiac named "al would" re: Zion vs Nas. Mind-blowing.

"I think Nassir will have a better pro career than Zion as measured by production, impact and longevity.. and I think Zions body will not serve him well as he ages. I believe his weight will be a problem and the things he is all pumped about playing these early season NCAA lower quality teams will not fly later this season in league play, much less in the league. Nas will only get better as his body fills out naturally and before this season is over I believe Nas will be a big minute player on this team and I wouldn't trade him for ZW as a Tar Hell for a minute. jmho"

Reactions: skysdad
75, allow me if I can to say what you refer to in a little less basketball ease because it is a great point that I want folks to understand. The high screen ( up around the free throw line) is set by the opposing big man and it is set really tight so much so that it is very hard to fight thru the screen, teams are getting very good at this and they know it is a weakness in our defense. With ball handlers that now days are solid jump shooters, if our defending big man lets the guard go off the screen our defender is rubbed off by how close it is set, the guy has a wide open jumper on the other side or is able to have free sight line for a pass to a wing or baseline. No one wants to allow that so our defending big man either hedges or shows (consider a show as a soft hedge where our big man only makes it look as if he is switching off and intermediately peels back to cover the rolling big man else you have a Stockton to Karl Malone moment.

What Roy prefers is a hedge where our defending big man actually momentarily switches off to the ball handler, long enough for our defending guard to go under the screen and pick the ball handler back up on the other side. This is a very critical timing issue between defending big man and chasing guard. If the defending big man holds his hedge (switching out to the ball handler) to long he can not recover back in time to stop the big man that set the screen from rolling to the basket unguarded, forces us to rotate back side help and leaves someone wide open from our rotation off. If our defending big man does not hold that hedge long enough our chasing defender can not get back to the ballhander and leaves the ball handler wide open for a clean look and with the way todays PGs shoot, that is usually a wide open trey look from straight away, pretty much the most easy trey look to get.

Where the "keystone cops" reference comes in is if the communication and timing with our defending big to our chaser is not good, our big man will release the hedge, try to recover back to the rolling screen setter big man and actually run in to our chaser guard (we screen each other) and they have both rolling big man and ball handler guard wide the freak open and so many options open up for them and all of them pretty darn easy to score off of. The slower our big man's feet are the bigger this problem is and Manley has pretty slow feet, Brooks has better feet but his (both really) timing with our guard is a work in progress. Meeks struggled big time with this for his first 3yrs, got much better as a senior but part of this is on the guard and part on the big man and our guards are not big time experienced other than kenny.

Bottom line with this is our big man just can not hold the hedge so long that he can not recover back to the screen setting big that is rolling down and he has to have the awareness to NOT RUN IN TO HIS OWN TEAM MATE. Our chaser guard HAS to get thru MUCH QUICKER so our big man has a lane to recover back thru, it is a well known hole in our defense that everyone has scouted and knows about.

A real key to defending this is for our big man defender to turn the ball handler up court, so he is not able to cleanly move thru the set screen and giving our chaser more time to recover to the ball, we do not do a good job at turning that ball handler up to alter his path. Meeks learned to shade his man from an angle rather than take on the ball handler straight on Meeks took the angle between screen setter big man and ball handler, he would bump him up just a half step, just enough to divert him and feel when the screen setter was peeling back, Meeks would release and peel back but would do so with a solid angle to chase back and yet see the ball. EXACTLY what our big men SHOULD be doing, they struggle big time with this. Meeks got so much better with this as a senior that teams were trying to reverse it rather than try taking the passing angle to the rolling big man and many times settling for a much harder trey look.

Ideally you do want your chaser guard to fight thru the screen but again, those things are set so close now days, teams practice setting these very tight screens as well as being fully versed to know what options they will have if the ball handler can pass thru the screen and have the open look on the other side. That ball handler will immediately look to see if there is a rotating wing defender that goes to him allowing a baseline cut to the rim for his assignment, is his big man screener rolling down with a easy passing angle for a easy finish at the rim, or does he have to take the wide open jumper from the baseline extended or step back for the easy clean trey? Oh so many options and so little time! LOL

Another major flaw in this is when our defending big man does release the ball handler and even if he is able to not screen our chaser off, watch Manley, he will turn his back to the ball and run back to the rolling big man with his arms up in the air, he can not see the ball and that is always a problem, Brooks is a little better about not totally turning his head to the ball but he still loses it to much and it slows him from his ability to recover to the rolling big.

This is the very reason I do wish Roy would change up defenses like Dean did, force the opposing team to first figure out what defense is being played and have to attack it differently rather than being able to settle in to the same attack that we struggled to defend. ANY defense can be attacked effectively if the refs are calling a clean game, calling the moving screens, jersey grabs, and inside the paint holding. But without changing your defenses the other team already knows what you are going to do and their plan of attack is in place, they don't really have to think about it, they just flow in to the same attack that has worked over and over again.

Dean was a master at disguising defenses, seen his teams many times come down and set up in a 2/3 zone and wham, out of the blue we switch to man, or a high or baseline trap rotating thru passing lanes. It was amazing to watch and it was extremely hard for opposing teams to handle, they knew Dean's base defenses but they had to think to much on how to attack them. THAT was before the shot clock came in to the game, IMO it would be even more effective today with the shorter shot clocks and especially in the way most teams want to slow down tempo against us.

Geez, I don't know if that was any easier to understand than what 75 shared in fewer words but it is IMO a very important aspect of what we see. I see folks all the time fussing about other teams getting clean looks for treys, killing us inside the paint, or getting that rim rattle big time dunk on us from a baseline cut, I want folks to understand why that happens. It is a major reason so many teams have gone to zones or combo schemes like pac man. Those defenses have their own unique weaknesses but they do help cover up some big man with slower feet issues. Teams practice to be ready for what they expect us to do, when you switch to a defense they have not practiced to attack you can stunt their attack and usually force a bad shot or a TO.

That is all. No idea what this says, but this is impressive even for him. My mortgage is more to the point.

From some medical brainiac named "al would" re: Zion vs Nas. Mind-blowing.

"I think Nassir will have a better pro career than Zion as measured by production, impact and longevity.. and I think Zions body will not serve him well as he ages. I believe his weight will be a problem and the things he is all pumped about playing these early season NCAA lower quality teams will not fly later this season in league play, much less in the league. Nas will only get better as his body fills out naturally and before this season is over I believe Nas will be a big minute player on this team and I wouldn't trade him for ZW as a Tar Hell for a minute. jmho"
Lower quality teams? We’ve played 3 top 8 teams in our first 6 games.

Lower quality teams? We’ve played 3 top 8 teams in our first 6 games.
That’s what stuck out like a sore thumb to me too! Lol. Thinking your guy is better blah blah is fine but when he went there:confused:.... typical

Other fans try to dig up anything to try to make themselves feel better about not being Duke!!!

Damn man, I feel horrible for that lil fella keysersosay#1 at the turd board. The Carey commitment has driven him to tears. And now, he's laying on his back stomping the floor over the espn earn everything series. Don't cry lil fella, it's gonna be okay.

Yeah, that keysersosay dude is a special guy. The world needs idiots, though.

I liked this gem....

"I did not realize that Dook has purchased the ESPN franchise.. I wonder what they paid them for the ENDLESS promotion and nonstop showing of the puff piece EARN EVERYTHING, which is on a continuous loop and will not end until well until Vader says so.
Do not worry because no matter what time of the day or night there will always be, on the front page of DookSPN, a glowing tribute to DOOK. Tonight it is still MORE Highlights of ZION and yes a troubling night .....He MISSED some DUNKS!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

In over 40 years of watching ACC and college basketball this old coot just has to shake his head and marvel at the incredible recruiting advantage that DOOKSPN gives the dookies. But Vader being the phony and fraud he is, will whine and complain about something."

He's a good poster, IMO. Helps take some of the pressure off Gary and DSouthr.

What the argument fails to realize is that Duke doesn't just get positive publicity, it gets its fair share of negative as well. Every little thing Grayson Allen did was twisted and produced by ESPN to fit an attractive agenda. ESPN is nothing more than a business, it lost its integrity a long long time ago. Nothing they produce is genuine, it is all manufactured garbage.

Duke is the most polarizing college basketball program out there. It is the most attractive to ESPN because they can sell it, whether positive or negative. To think Coach K and Duke are running the controls over at ESPN in an attempt to gain recruiting leverage over the rest of college basketball is paranoia at its finest.

There is a very clear recruiting advantage with the exposure Duke gets, no one would argue otherwise. But the reason Duke is featured so much has nothing to do with control/fear or being in awe of Coach K, it is a business decision. But don't ever waste your time telling them otherwise, they are far too far gone for logic.

I have been banned by THR for 3 years and feel like I am missing all of the fun. How do I regain access? Start new account with Rivals?

You just need to sign out of your account and you can read.

Or if you have a friend named ponarkel you get to sneak in a glance or two. Danged I wonder if they will ban ponarkel for something I posted. Now that will be a 1st. OFC

What the argument fails to realize is that Duke doesn't just get positive publicity, it gets its fair share of negative as well. Every little thing Grayson Allen did was twisted and produced by ESPN to fit an attractive agenda. ESPN is nothing more than a business, it lost its integrity a long long time ago. Nothing they produce is genuine, it is all manufactured garbage.

Duke is the most polarizing college basketball program out there. It is the most attractive to ESPN because they can sell it, whether positive or negative. To think Coach K and Duke are running the controls over at ESPN in an attempt to gain recruiting leverage over the rest of college basketball is paranoia at its finest.

There is a very clear recruiting advantage with the exposure Duke gets, no one would argue otherwise. But the reason Duke is featured so much has nothing to do with control/fear or being in awe of Coach K, it is a business decision. But don't ever waste your time telling them otherwise, they are far too far gone for logic.
Absolutely. This year the slurpfest of Zion by ESPN is at Tebow levels. Last year it was a complete hack job 24/7 of Grayson. The amount of love and air time we are getting this year is just going to ratchet up the hate level so that when something inevitably does go wrong this year it’ll be blown beyond out of proportion, you know kind of like the 2 point loss to Gonzaga.

UK fans are pissed off because Cal is being so super clean they aren’t recruiting like they did. Some woman on their compliance team makes sure he is clean. It’s a bit crazy.

LOL at the pussy cat fans who browse over at this board. Yeah your coach Pay Pal Cal is "real clean" considering he has had two Final Fours vacated and left those schools before he could get in trouble GTFO hahahahaha

There is a thread on how Des would recruit today.Imo he would use the same thing he did when he was coaching.Come to Unc and you won’t have to go to class and you still get a degree.After you get your fake degree we will set you up in one of my assistant’s drug houses

Reactions: skysdad and GAAP
Beaver2345UNC
  • (16)
  • 69 months
3 hours ago via Mobile
Is there another program in the country you would rather be a fan of? I must be missing something. Roy runs his program squeaky clean, no signs of cheating or anything close to it. Roy brings in men of high character and class. He’s also starting to graduate more player than ever before. And he’s also WINNING... maybe i’m in the minority, but what are we really actually complaining about here..

UNC still living in denial

Still proud of the UNC way. You can't fix stupid and some poasts over there reek stupidity!
OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT