ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite THR Quotes....

He's the grandfather no one wants to see at the holidays. If he tells a story it would take 2 hours and have nothing amusing contained in it. He would also pass off his on naivety as folksy wisdom. I would never visit him, haha.

DSouthr is upping the ante....I really do love this guy.

He started a thread titled, 'K says not much corrupt in college basketball?'

Here's his first post...

"Really K, really? The freakin FBI just arrested assistant coaches and there isn't a major problem?

He says "We don't lose kids in recruiting because of someone cheating." ? Is this because you can cheat better than the other guy?

His entire tone says shoe companies should be able to steer players to certain programs, I guess when he has been able to dominate the top 10 talents each year along with Kalipari, he doesn't think anything is wrong with shoe companies or sports agencys paying kids to play for his program.

"But does that mean everything is pure? No. Obviously not. But I think for the most part, it is." < Really he said that, after the FBI arresting folks in 1 half a sentence he says things are not pure and in the second half he says they are? REALLY AMAZING! Why not just come out and say he knows shoe companies and agents have paid players to play for duke, he is as much as saying it is fine if they did, what not admit it publicly? LOL"

A few posts down, a rational Heels poster pointed out that Roy "pretty much said the same thing on the David Glenn show today"....

From Archer (I really love this guy too, I mean, Krazywhiskey is a great nickname)....

"I think he said it for different reasons."

And then DSouthr comes back with the hammer....

"Well, Roy also said he didn't know anything about any of this paying players stuff, love Roy but ya know he knew what was going on considering how many kids he went after that all the sudden dropped us. But what else could he say really, yeah I knew players were being paid and then have to field questions of why he didn't do all he could to see it stopped?

Roy believes in this fraternity of coaches and just is not going to go out of his way to hurt another head coach. Yet many in his fraternity of coaches don't act like brothers, don't play by the rules. Evil grows when good men do nothing and I do think in part the ugly part of the sport we now can not dispute found its fertile ground to grow in the fact that coaches that do try to do things the right way stood silent when they knew.

Roy lives by creeds I was taught, words like loyality, honor, respect... were not just words tossed out easily but words you lived by. Now days everyone wants to use these words but very few seem to know what they even mean. We wouldn't have nearly the number of meltdowns here if we tried to understand and actually use those words properly. But if the rest of the world can't live by those words now days how can I expect posters to. Kinda sad really..."

Now @topps coach, be serious with us....DSouthr really isn't allowed out in public all by himself, is he?

DSouthr is upping the ante....I really do love this guy.

He started a thread titled, 'K says not much corrupt in college basketball?'

Here's his first post...

"Really K, really? The freakin FBI just arrested assistant coaches and there isn't a major problem?

He says "We don't lose kids in recruiting because of someone cheating." ? Is this because you can cheat better than the other guy?

His entire tone says shoe companies should be able to steer players to certain programs, I guess when he has been able to dominate the top 10 talents each year along with Kalipari, he doesn't think anything is wrong with shoe companies or sports agencys paying kids to play for his program.

"But does that mean everything is pure? No. Obviously not. But I think for the most part, it is." < Really he said that, after the FBI arresting folks in 1 half a sentence he says things are not pure and in the second half he says they are? REALLY AMAZING! Why not just come out and say he knows shoe companies and agents have paid players to play for duke, he is as much as saying it is fine if they did, what not admit it publicly? LOL"

A few posts down, a rational Heels poster pointed out that Roy "pretty much said the same thing on the David Glenn show today"....

From Archer (I really love this guy too, I mean, Krazywhiskey is a great nickname)....

"I think he said it for different reasons."

And then DSouthr comes back with the hammer....

"Well, Roy also said he didn't know anything about any of this paying players stuff, love Roy but ya know he knew what was going on considering how many kids he went after that all the sudden dropped us. But what else could he say really, yeah I knew players were being paid and then have to field questions of why he didn't do all he could to see it stopped?

Roy believes in this fraternity of coaches and just is not going to go out of his way to hurt another head coach. Yet many in his fraternity of coaches don't act like brothers, don't play by the rules. Evil grows when good men do nothing and I do think in part the ugly part of the sport we now can not dispute found its fertile ground to grow in the fact that coaches that do try to do things the right way stood silent when they knew.

Roy lives by creeds I was taught, words like loyality, honor, respect... were not just words tossed out easily but words you lived by. Now days everyone wants to use these words but very few seem to know what they even mean. We wouldn't have nearly the number of meltdowns here if we tried to understand and actually use those words properly. But if the rest of the world can't live by those words now days how can I expect posters to. Kinda sad really..."

Now @topps coach, be serious with us....DSouthr really isn't allowed out in public all by himself, is he?
I put a muzzle on him when I take him out

My goodness, the bullshit is up to their knees over there. It's amazing the level of arrogance that blooms from cheating a rap.

Hee%20Haw2%20gif_1.gif

OFC

Man this board has changed!! I made a comment about Bilas about 3 years ago about how I felt like he tried too hard to not be Duke biased....and how he pointed out every little thing Duke did wrong, and everything the other team did well....and I got BLASTED!!! What happened? What did I miss the last couple years??? LOL!!

Reactions: hart2chesson
Man this board has changed!! I made a comment about Bilas about 3 years ago about how I felt like he tried too hard to not be Duke biased....and how he pointed out every little thing Duke did wrong, and everything the other team did well....and I got BLASTED!!! What happened? What did I miss the last couple years??? LOL!!

Bilas didn’t crucify the Heels over the academic scandal. He acknowledged what they did was bad, but he maintained the NCAA didn’t have jurisdiction over the matter, in which he was right. People wanted him being more irrational and spitting on UNC’s grave.

Reactions: skysdad
Bilas didn’t crucify the Heels over the academic scandal. He acknowledged what they did was bad, but he maintained the NCAA didn’t have jurisdiction over the matter, in which he was right. People wanted him being more irrational and spitting on UNC’s grave.
You may be right about Bilas. I have a good friend who is a rational Tar Hole fan and he has even told me that it appears Bilas is slower on TV to be complimentary about Duke, whereas he is quick to compliment other teams. Say what we will about the man, I know he's smart but when a reasonable Tar Hole fan says that, there may be something to it.
Everyone used to fuss about Billy Packer. Every teams fans said he didn't like their team. To me that's the sign of a fair announcer, even if Packer was Mr Pessimistic.

Reactions: DukefanKY
You may be right about Bilas. I have a good friend who is a rational Tar Hole fan and he has even told me that it appears Bilas is slower on TV to be complimentary about Duke, whereas he is quick to compliment other teams. Say what we will about the man, I know he's smart but when a reasonable Tar Hole fan says that, there may be something to it.
Everyone used to fuss about Billy Packer. Every teams fans said he didn't like their team. To me that's the sign of a fair announcer, even if Packer was Mr Pessimistic.

The guy is just downright arrogant...OFC

Reactions: DukefanKY
Bilas is definitely arrogant. So is K. And Roy. Calipari, too. Most really successful people are, in a way.

Seldom do I hear Jay say anything remotely negative about Duke. I think the real problem most Duke fans have with him is that he doesn’t think like us regarding UNC and their fans.

Reactions: skysdad
Bilas is definitely arrogant. So is K. And Roy. Calipari, too. Most really successful people are, in a way.(QUOTE)

Its certainly not a neccessary character trait to go hand in hand w/success. As I have often said and will say again, Bilas should really study the way Grant Hill carries himself on a broadcast....I think your "most successful people are arrogant" point is vastly overstated. Confident yes, arrogant? I happen to know folks in all lines of work who are very confident, but do not exude arrogance.

OFC

I like Burke, too. Incredibly underrated.
Couldn’t disagree more. Cannot stand listening to Doris “Dribble Drive” Burke.

Also Mac- on billy packer- you can honestly say he was fair- he hated every team equally.

Bilas gets a bad rap and DJ nailed it, I think it has to do with his “standing up” for UNC in this whole scenario. But I think it was more of his platform to berate the NCAA.

And I think Bilas is the best in the business when it comes to color analysis. It’s a matter of taste, I guess.

I've always taken up for Jay and still do . He's the best at what he does and what other former Duke player can we say that about. He is smart as a whip, funny does his home work and is completely honest. His prediction about unCHEAT getting off was dead on because he knew the people that set up the AMAF knew what they were doing and covered themselves. As for the way he does our games or any other games he calls it the way he sees it. Most of the time when he criticizes Duke he's right. I don't want him to be a homer, do any of you. This will never happen but if any of us could ever spend a little time with Jay, Coach K or both at the same time we would see just a big a Dukie fan he is. I just don't get how much he is despised by Duke fans. Do we want hubert davis sugar coating . OFC

Couldn’t disagree more. Cannot stand listening to Doris “Dribble Drive” Burke.

Also Mac- on billy packer- you can honestly say he was fair- he hated every team equally.

Bilas gets a bad rap and DJ nailed it, I think it has to do with his “standing up” for UNC in this whole scenario. But I think it was more of his platform to berate the NCAA.
I don't miss Packer at all. The man was the total opposite of Dickie V.
Doris Burke is sharp. She doesn't bother me at all.
On Bilas, for me it really isn't about this scandal. It's when the camera is on him and Duke is playing, he is quicker to see Duke's flaws than their strengths. I have no doubt he loves Duke. That's evident when you see him on those Laettner and Duke specials.
This is my issue with Bilas: He seems quick to compliment the other top programs, and with Duke he does when it becomes something that is nothing short of obvious.
It will be interesting to get his take once the season gets underway. Personally I see very few flaws with this Duke team's talents and I cant wait to hear Bilas's take.

I don't miss Packer at all. The man was the total opposite of Dickie V.
Doris Burke is sharp. She doesn't bother me at all.
On Bilas, for me it really isn't about this scandal. It's when the camera is on him and Duke is playing, he is quicker to see Duke's flaws than their strengths. I have no doubt he loves Duke. That's evident when you see him on those Laettner and Duke specials.
This is my issue with Bilas: He seems quick to compliment the other top programs, and with Duke he does when it becomes something that is nothing short of obvious.
It will be interesting to get his take once the season gets underway. Personally I see very few flaws with this Duke team's talents and I cant wait to hear Bilas's take.
Think he is a very astute color guy but think he is very conscious about being perceived as being a Duke homer and goes out of his way to portray himself as nuetral

Think he is a very astute color guy but think he is very conscious about being perceived as being a Duke homer and goes out of his way to portray himself as nuetral
Boom!! That's it exactly, and like I said in an earlier post, a really good friend of mine, that is a rational and respectful Tar Hole fan says the same thing. I don't think he is too negative on Duke at all, just slower to praise.

I've always taken up for Jay and still do . He's the best at what he does and what other former Duke player can we say that about?OFC

Grant Hill, Sky. He's as good an analyst w/o the arrogance. Now theres a successful individual who is NOT "ARROGANT." I would also submit Mike Gminiski and Jimmy Spanarkel as analysts and DUKE GRADS I enjoy more than Bilas.

None of the three I named beat their chests about Duke either during a Duke game. Thats not what I want either Sky. I just dont like the analyst I am listening to try upstage the game.Bilas does IMO.

OFC

Grant Hill and Bill Raftery are my dream team. I know others don't, but I really like Clark Kellogg. Ian Eagle is also one of my favorites.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Grant Hill and Bill Raftery are my dream team. I know others don't, but I really like Clark Kellogg. Ian Eagle is also one of my favorites.
Grant, Raftery and Kellogg are the absolute best at what they do.
Doris and Bilas put me to sleep with their monotone voices.

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT