ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN’s early top 25

BeerPoisoning

All American
Feb 17, 2019
Earth
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...igan-state-leads-way-too-early-top-25-2019-20

Somebody at ESPN had their first bong rip tonight...

MSU will be good but McQuaid’s worth is disgustingly undervalued. Idk how it’s assumed that Winston returns when he said he will make a decision in the future. Sounds pretty undecided to me and it’s a weak draft this year. I’m not sure if I disagree that they could be #1 but let’s what Winston decides to do first and then judge them w/o McQuaid.

Marquette #2? Lol
They have one notable player in Howard. Volume scoring PG who averages 5 TOs per game as a junior. The whole team is overrated and returning. No offense inside 3pt line. All they do is turn the ball over. They got wiped by 20pts this year by a #12 seed.

Virginia ranking 4th made me actually laugh out loud.

Villanova 5th. What? They were hardly noteworthy this year and are losing their 2 best players, virtually all of their scoring. Yeah they have 2 recruits around 10th-15th overall but meh... Nothing too studly.

Texas Tech at 14th losing their entire starting five and bringing in like 2 three star recruits. How tf are they in the top 25? Beard is a great coach but they have virtually nothing to work with.

I could say some more stuff but I’ll stop now

Reactions: youngman42
This is a truly stupid list. If Cassius comes back, yeah Michigan State will be too 3-5 no doubt, but if he leaves they'll struggle hard. Also, it seems anytime they come into the season overhyped they fall flat on their face.

Marquette could be really good, however this is still the same team that went 1-6 in their last 7 games, healthy. Let's hold off for a bit there.

UVA should probably be #1, they just won the Natty losing only 3 games all year, and they bring most of their rotation, and with Bennett at the helm, you know he'll find someone to plug their holes.

Nova at 5? No.

Ohio State has overachieved? Weren't they top 15-25 coming into the year? Pretty sure a losing record in conference for a projected top-25 team isn't overachieving. I'll believe it when I see it.

UNC is gonna suck bawls and earn an 2 seed in the NIT, get them outta there.

If I had to rank the top ten next year, right now I'd go...

1. UVA
2. Michigan State
3. Duke
4. Michigan
5. UK
6. Kansas
7. Marquette
8. Maryland
9. Arizona
10. Gonzaga

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
Another laughable post from ESPN. They have this UVA team ahead of our '91, '10, '15 squads.

I take back the first bong rip comment, somebody at ESPN is on bath salts. ‘92 Duke #15? ‘90 UNLV #28? On what F’ing planet?

Virginia this year is ranked a slot ahead of ‘05 Carolina. Hate to admit it but I wouldn’t take one single player on their roster over May, Felton or McCants. In retrospect, ‘17 heels are ranked before ‘04 UConn. Okafor and Ben Gordon would smack them stupid.

‘76 Hoosiers were a good team but they ain’t #2 all-time. They almost lost 10-12 games, almost doesn’t count but the #2 team of all time doesn’t struggle to avoid losing at that rate. That team today would barely squeak into the tournament. Knight introduced the motion offense and nobody knew what to do. His famous saying... “If you’re standing still you’re doing something wrong.” - I wish K would have wrote this in bold lettering in the locker room this year.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...igan-state-leads-way-too-early-top-25-2019-20

Somebody at ESPN had their first bong rip tonight...

MSU will be good but McQuaid’s worth is disgustingly undervalued. Idk how it’s assumed that Winston returns when he said he will make a decision in the future. Sounds pretty undecided to me and it’s a weak draft this year. I’m not sure if I disagree that they could be #1 but let’s what Winston decides to do first and then judge them w/o McQuaid.

Marquette #2? Lol
They have one notable player in Howard. Volume scoring PG who averages 5 TOs per game as a junior. The whole team is overrated and returning. No offense inside 3pt line. All they do is turn the ball over. They got wiped by 20pts this year by a #12 seed.

Virginia ranking 4th made me actually laugh out loud.

Villanova 5th. What? They were hardly noteworthy this year and are losing their 2 best players, virtually all of their scoring. Yeah they have 2 recruits around 10th-15th overall but meh... Nothing too studly.

Texas Tech at 14th losing their entire starting five and bringing in like 2 three star recruits. How tf are they in the top 25? Beard is a great coach but they have virtually nothing to work with.

I could say some more stuff but I’ll stop now

If Cassius Winston comes back, they absolutely should be the #1 team. Remember they also have Josh Langford who will be returning from an injury. Not sure about Nick Ward's status, but MSU can also expect Xavier Tillman, Aaron Henry, Kyle Ahrens, and Gabe Brown to return. Marcus Bingham and Foster Loyer were 4-star recruits who didn't get a lot of PT this year, but they're talented. And MSU is also bringing in two 4-star recruits next year (Rocket Watts & Malik Hall). I've read that a lot of MSU people expect Winston back. I would be very surprised if Michigan State isn't the preseason favorite.

As far as Marquette, they will be returning their top 7 players. I will concede that it's really hard to imagine Marquette being a national title contender - or even a Final Four contender. But they were a top 15 team for most of the year. They just sort of feel a part near the end of the season, and certainly some of that was due to Howard being banged up a bit. Also, I would note that Marquette is bringing in Kobe McEwen, a Utah State transfer, who averaged 15.6 ppg last season. He will be a solid #2 or #3 scoring option alongside Hauser. That will help take some of the load off of Howard.

Not sure about Texas Tech. They have a lot of holes to fill, no question. I kind of expect them to pick up some quality grad transfers since Beard can simply point to his track record with grad transfers - and his success from the past two seasons. Moretti and Edwards will both return, those two are both lights-out shooters. Seriously, Moretti might be the best shooter in the country. Dude needs to get 10+ fg attempts a game next year. Jahmius Ramsey is a highly-regarded recruit, he should start from day one. Kavon Moore, a 4-star recruit, red-shirted this year. That's at least 4 legit players.

Reactions: BlackbeardRaider
How come Mich. State gets to keep their players for 7 years? Winston was there in 2010 I think. I doubt they will let him push off every play in the NBA, so he may as well use his remaining 8th year of eligibility.

I'm beginning to think that Jay Wright is overrated. They either win the championship or do nothing. I think next year will be another do nothing year. On the other hand, I think Bennett has figured out how to make his program strong each year so I wouldn't bet against them next year.

Reactions: CRAZIE4LIFE
Must be some B10 alumni who does this list....they get ranked high every year, called the best conference and then bomb the rest of the year overall...happens in football too....my grocery list s more accurate than this dumb top 10

Hard to say how everything will turn out as far as early entrys and late recruits. UVA should definitely be 1. Marquette will be really good if no one leaves. I believe Wojo May have learned a lesson as far as pacing for a long season. They ran hard all year and I believe it caught up with them in the end. Don’t know where Duke should land. I believe by the end of the season they will be top 5. If Cole commits to the cheats they will be top 10. Some how or another they always find those player that have been sitting on bench that come out of knowwhere and become 1 year stars. Roy will find some more hidden talent on that bench and they will be good again.

If Cassius Winston comes back, they absolutely should be the #1 team. Remember they also have Josh Langford who will be returning from an injury. Not sure about Nick Ward's status, but MSU can also expect Xavier Tillman, Aaron Henry, Kyle Ahrens, and Gabe Brown to return. Marcus Bingham and Foster Loyer were 4-star recruits who didn't get a lot of PT this year, but they're talented. And MSU is also bringing in two 4-star recruits next year (Rocket Watts & Malik Hall). I've read that a lot of MSU people expect Winston back. I would be very surprised if Michigan State isn't the preseason favorite.

As far as Marquette, they will be returning their top 7 players. I will concede that it's really hard to imagine Marquette being a national title contender - or even a Final Four contender. But they were a top 15 team for most of the year. They just sort of feel a part near the end of the season, and certainly some of that was due to Howard being banged up a bit. Also, I would note that Marquette is bringing in Kobe McEwen, a Utah State transfer, who averaged 15.6 ppg last season. He will be a solid #2 or #3 scoring option alongside Hauser. That will help take some of the load off of Howard.

Not sure about Texas Tech. They have a lot of holes to fill, no question. I kind of expect them to pick up some quality grad transfers since Beard can simply point to his track record with grad transfers - and his success from the past two seasons. Moretti and Edwards will both return, those two are both lights-out shooters. Seriously, Moretti might be the best shooter in the country. Dude needs to get 10+ fg attempts a game next year. Jahmius Ramsey is a highly-regarded recruit, he should start from day one. Kavon Moore, a 4-star recruit, red-shirted this year. That's at least 4 legit players.

No idea what Winston will do but I’m sure he will test NBA waters. Ward tested them last year, probably will do it again. Michigan St got so much better this year when he was out with injury it almost makes you feel bad for him. Tillman took his job and MSU was better for it. Not sure if he will leave for the NBA because he doesn’t have desirable physical intangibles and he always has some kind of injury. It’s a weak draft though, who knows what he does... Regardless of MSU’s roster changes, Virginia is my #1 next year as of right now.

Marquette is garbage.,All they do is shoot 3’s and turn the ball over. If they aren’t making shots, they don’t even have a pulse. Indiana blew them out by like 20 points. In games where they don’t shoot 40% from 3pt range their record is 11-9. Worth noting that Howard (their best player) has committed more turnovers each year. Volume scorers in college are usually a cancer, he likes getting his 20 shots. Koby McEwen will fit in great at Marquette, all he does is launch 3s and turn the ball over too. Only difference is that he’s a worse shooter than everyone on Marquette.

Not sure what TxTech will do in the off-season but having them #15 with all the departures is too generous for the current standing. Moretti has a great stroke. Kylar Edwards has shown ability to shoot the three but idk where you get the idea that he’s lights out, he shoots like 1 three a game (that I’ve seen anyway.)

Must be some B10 alumni who does this list....they get ranked high every year, called the best conference and then bomb the rest of the year overall...happens in football too....my grocery list s more accurate than this dumb top 10

They all have massive alumni around the country. Been that way for decades, especially in football.

Carolina will be solid. It’s not like they’re going to sit idly by and not add anyone. I expect Cole Anthony goes there....that alone makes them legit. If they add the grad transfer kid from Little Rock they’re comfortably a top 15ish team in the country. Also, I expect to see some of their role players take on more. I’d be surprised if they’re not too four in the ACC.

Does Anthony go there knowing he won’t have much of a supporting cast?

Carolina will be solid. It’s not like they’re going to sit idly by and not add anyone. I expect Cole Anthony goes there....that alone makes them legit. If they add the grad transfer kid from Little Rock they’re comfortably a top 15ish team in the country. Also, I expect to see some of their role players take on more. I’d be surprised if they’re not too four in the ACC.

I’m not sure why we continue to tease ourselves. Roy could bring back a group of 5 janitors and UNC would finish top 10. Every year the same thing happens. It is what is. Carolina will be excellent next season. They’ll more than likely finish higher than Duke quite honestly. I just want our guys to take two from them. That’s all I care about.

Perhaps UNC can duplicate what they did this year and last: round of 16 or 32.

Reactions: dukehokie
I don't understand the UVA ranking at all. Hunter is 100% gone, and Jerome is now showing up late 1st round in all mocks.
If Jerome leaves, I just don't see it with them. Kyle Guy and who else??? Aren't most of their bigs seniors too?

Sure, Jerome comes back, they will be legit.

Yea, I understand its a rival thing but laughing at UNC and saying they literally have nothing just makes you look silly. They have Anthony on Wrap, and he's badass. A real solid big as well. Writing them off is amateur hour.

No idea what Winston will do but I’m sure he will test NBA waters. Ward tested them last year, probably will do it again. Michigan St got so much better this year when he was out with injury it almost makes you feel bad for him. Tillman took his job and MSU was better for it. Not sure if he will leave for the NBA because he doesn’t have desirable physical intangibles and he always has some kind of injury. It’s a weak draft though, who knows what he does... Regardless of MSU’s roster changes, Virginia is my #1 next year as of right now.

Marquette is garbage.,All they do is shoot 3’s and turn the ball over. If they aren’t making shots, they don’t even have a pulse. Indiana blew them out by like 20 points. In games where they don’t shoot 40% from 3pt range their record is 11-9. Worth noting that Howard (their best player) has committed more turnovers each year. Volume scorers in college are usually a cancer, he likes getting his 20 shots. Koby McEwen will fit in great at Marquette, all he does is launch 3s and turn the ball over too. Only difference is that he’s a worse shooter than everyone on Marquette.

Not sure what TxTech will do in the off-season but having them #15 with all the departures is too generous for the current standing. Moretti has a great stroke. Kylar Edwards has shown ability to shoot the three but idk where you get the idea that he’s lights out, he shoots like 1 three a game (that I’ve seen anyway.)

You might be right with Marquette. I was more trying to see things from the point of view of the writer - Brendan Bailey and Joey Hauser are still young, but they can certainly improve. Who knows what McEwen will be like with 20 months without playing a meaningful game. Defense and ball control might be the more concerning issue for them. I posted my way too early top 25 on the main board. I had Marquette #11 and Texas Tech #23... Might have Kentucky too high, as I originally thought Herro would be back. I'd still have MSU higher than UVA, though, because Hunter is 100% gone and Ty Jerome just played himself into the first round. UVA will still be really good next year, but it's likely their starting lineup will be:

Kihei Clark, 5'9 So
Kyle Guy, 6'2 Sr
Casey Morsell, 6'2 Fr (#70 on rivals)
Braxton Key, 6'8 Sr
Mamadi Diakite, 6'9 Sr

Key Bench:
Marco Anthony, 6'4 Jr
Kody Stattmann, 6'7 So
Kadin Shedrick, 6'11 Fr (#62 on rivals)
Jay Huff, 7'1 Jr

Bench isn't great, wings would be very pedestrian. Having three senior starters will be really, really big for them. But their ceiling will be limited without Hunter and Jerome. UVA could probably use a grad transfer, honestly.

If Braxton Key is able to play the 3, then I would feel better about UVA's chances. Key, Diakite, and Huff would be a formidable front line. But Bennett seemed to prefer having Hunter at the 4, so I have a hard time imaging Key playing many minutes at the 3. They really need another wing if they lose Hunter and Jerome.

No lol you literally have nothing on your team right now

If they swing Anthony, Precious and the grad transfer from Ark-LR i will really like their chances

Anthony
Tucker
Leaky
Brooks
Bacot

Woods
BRob
Precious
Manley

thats top 10 talent

If they swing Anthony, Precious and the grad transfer from Ark-LR i will really like their chances

Anthony
Tucker
Leaky
Brooks
Bacot

Woods
BRob
Precious
Manley

thats top 10 talent

And I bet Precious would jump at the chance of coming off the bench, just like another top 10 kid.

I don't understand the UVA ranking at all. Hunter is 100% gone, and Jerome is now showing up late 1st round in all mocks.
If Jerome leaves, I just don't see it with them. Kyle Guy and who else??? Aren't most of their bigs seniors too?

Nope, Mamadi, Huff , key and red shirt 7 footer will make them very good inside

Because they have one of if not the best coaches in the country and a system that doesn’t need 5 stars to be successful. I’m sure Tony has guys ready to step in and fill what leaves. UVA isn’t going anywhere as long as he is at the helm.

3 seems high for us. Right now with Hurt we look like a solid 2 or 3 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT