ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN’s early top 25

You might be right with Marquette. I was more trying to see things from the point of view of the writer - Brendan Bailey and Joey Hauser are still young, but they can certainly improve. Who knows what McEwen will be like with 20 months without playing a meaningful game. Defense and ball control might be the more concerning issue for them. I posted my way too early top 25 on the main board. I had Marquette #11 and Texas Tech #23... Might have Kentucky too high, as I originally thought Herro would be back. I'd still have MSU higher than UVA, though, because Hunter is 100% gone and Ty Jerome just played himself into the first round. UVA will still be really good next year, but it's likely their starting lineup will be:

Kihei Clark, 5'9 So

Kyle Guy, 6'2 Sr

Casey Morsell, 6'2 Fr (#70 on rivals)

Braxton Key, 6'8 Sr

Mamadi Diakite, 6'9 Sr

Key Bench:

Marco Anthony, 6'4 Jr

Kody Stattmann, 6'7 So

Kadin Shedrick, 6'11 Fr (#62 on rivals)

Jay Huff, 7'1 Jr

Bench isn't great, wings would be very pedestrian. Having three senior starters will be really, really big for them. But their ceiling will be limited without Hunter and Jerome. UVA could probably use a grad transfer, honestly.

I probably shouldn’t be so negative about Marquette but I watched a handful of their games this year and I couldn’t be less impressed. Howard might be their best talent but he has the IQ of a middle school player and forces a lot of terrible shots. It’s rare to see a good, consistent volume scorer at the college level. You have to play through your stars but consistent success is rare when you live and die on 1 player. I don’t see Marquette limiting him next year, so it’ll be a repeat of this year if he doesn’t limit himself and play smarter.

I think Ty Jerome will return. He’s still sitting outside the 1st round in most mocks, maybe it’ll rise a little..... But who knows, it’s all pointless speculation when it comes to guessing a player’s choice to stay or leave. I’ve thought right many of times and I’ve been shocked as well. I wouldn’t put UVA as #1 if Jerome leaves, same goes for Winston and MSU.

Even predicting the good, bad and ugly a week before the season opener is a guessing game. It’s always hard to predict just how good (or bad) an incoming recruit’s game will translate into college. Cam and Zion for example. Nobody expected Zion to be as stellar as he was and everyone predicted way more from Reddish.

Some how or another they always find those player that have been sitting on bench that come out of knowwhere and become 1 year stars. Roy will find some more hidden talent on that bench and they will be good again.

Well it won't be Playtex!

OFC

Lunardi needs to update his bracketology, as Michigan clearly won't be a 1 seed with Matthews, Brazdeikis, and Poole all leaving town. Also, why does he have Arizona as a bubble team? They have the #1 recruiting class. They're not necessarily game-changers, but I'd think they'd at least be in the top 25.

UCLA could be a dark horse. There's talent there and now they have a real coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT