ADVERTISEMENT

Duval injury???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read some post don’t bash kids but the last couple of past haven’t been about Duval mainly it’s sounds like a DI royal rumble lol

I have been pretty critical of Duvall on the CBB, but this board makes me look reasonable. Haha.

Dude, you've seemed REALLY in the dumps on the main board:( Admittedly, we've had some TOUGH, tough moments, compared to what we've expected.

I have tough moments; I tend to vent at my TV... and at my couch... and at the wall... :)

Reactions: sheyduke
Too much is being taken too seriously in this thread, lol.

26-27% from 3 is simply bad. Duval is a bad shooter. Nothing wrong with noting that fact or having light-hearted fun with it! Maybe he'll improve, maybe he won't. We all hope he does so Duke will win another title (making one key 3 does not change that reality, btw. I'm pretty sure a stat class isn't even needed to figure that out).

And Duval's made a lot of bonehead decisions with the ball even though he can be awesome at times. There's a reason he was put on the bench to start the game.

And, good grief, there's nothing wrong with having fun with all that! If that gets under your skin, you've probably made an idol out of the program and its players (or, out of this discussion board).

OFC

As fans, I think it's completely fair to critique a Duke player, whether he's a freshman or a senior. What bothers me (and probably most posters on here), is how the critique is given. Saying: Tatum sucks, Tatum should go back to STL, please bench Tatum (all of these things were said last year)....all of these are stupid and give absolutely zero substance. Plus they are embarrassing to read.
Now saying: Tatum really doesn't have his legs yet, he's really hurting us because he can't explode to the basket (things along these lines) are completely fair and good criticism.

Exact same goes for Duval (Gary was our scapegoat up until Duval a couple weeks ago, I'm amazed it's never been Grayson, but let's save that conversation for another time).
"Bench Duval" "We are better without Duval"- again, completely ignorant and gives zero substance. Let me read about how Duval had the lowest plus/minus of any player in the GT game to prove a point. Even though he did have the highest in the UNC game.
It's fair to criticize Duval, but the way he is criticized by certain posters speaks volumes to the type of person you probably are. I said all last week that Duval should still start, and after watching Sunday, I'll admit that I was wrong. For the time being, he should come off the bench. But without him on the floor, there is a certain gear that won't be reached. We need him just as much as we need Bagley or Grayson if we wanna win #6.

Dude, you've seemed REALLY in the dumps on the main board:( Admittedly, we've had some TOUGH, tough moments, compared to what we've expected.

I have tough moments; I tend to vent at my TV... and at my couch... and at the wall... :)
Speaking of main board, I can’t post on there anymore. Do you know why by chance?

So he deleted his dunk retweet? I think that's a little sad - it was an amazing dunk, and he is 19 - but also like that was listening to feedback other guys on the team / the staff probably gave him.

I haven't attacked him personally, just his play, but I'll admit that he's really endearing himself to me and I'm going to stop criticizing his play and focus on the positive and rooting for him.

As fans, I think it's completely fair to critique a Duke player, whether he's a freshman or a senior. What bothers me (and probably most posters on here), is how the critique is given. Saying: Tatum sucks, Tatum should go back to STL, please bench Tatum (all of these things were said last year)....all of these are stupid and give absolutely zero substance. Plus they are embarrassing to read.
Now saying: Tatum really doesn't have his legs yet, he's really hurting us because he can't explode to the basket (things along these lines) are completely fair and good criticism.

Exact same goes for Duval (Gary was our scapegoat up until Duval a couple weeks ago, I'm amazed it's never been Grayson, but let's save that conversation for another time).
"Bench Duval" "We are better without Duval"- again, completely ignorant and gives zero substance. Let me read about how Duval had the lowest plus/minus of any player in the GT game to prove a point. Even though he did have the highest in the UNC game.
It's fair to criticize Duval, but the way he is criticized by certain posters speaks volumes to the type of person you probably are. I said all last week that Duval should still start, and after watching Sunday, I'll admit that I was wrong. For the time being, he should come off the bench. But without him on the floor, there is a certain gear that won't be reached. We need him just as much as we need Bagley or Grayson if we wanna win #6.
Grayson is our senior leader and should bear the brunt of the criticism. That is an absolute fact and this team will go as far as he takes them, not Duvall.

On a pretty unrelated note.... I am guilty of jumping on some of our players and being overly critical sometimes. I rarely sugarcoat any of my opinions, so I definitely can understand why fellow Duke fans would jump on me for having some of my opinions. That is why I mostly post on the national board because I know that there are many here that take things that are said in the moment very literal. I guess what I am saying is that if you are going to be openly critical of players, you shouldn't do it on the home board. I would rather bicker with unc and Kentucky fans than with fellow Duke fans.

I think many are hitting the nail on the head. Fair criticism with supporting opinions is what a messageboard is designed for. Lashing out with bare bones conclusory statements reeks of the inability to deal with one’s own frustrations which is a pure lack of maturity.

Duval turns the ball over far too much and our team has been destroyed in transition defense this year. Every turnover seems to be costly. I am torn about what I want Coach to do with Duval. He is supremely more talented than Goldwire, not a knock of JG, just a fact about their individual skill set. And I want Duval to be held accountable for his mistakes, it is part of the teaching/learning process.

There are ways to be critical that don’t involve such juvenile mechanisms that come off as temper tantrums. Every day there is a new thread about why Duval sucks. If we can do away with that you won’t hear a peep from me about posters.

Good post, but why is people suggesting Duval to be benched considered ignorant to you?

26-27% from 3 is simply bad. Duval is a bad shooter. Nothing wrong with noting that fact or having light-hearted fun with it! Maybe he'll improve, maybe he won't.

"Maybe" he'll improve? Have you been watching the games?

Duval's 3-point shooting:
* 2017 games: 6-38 (15.8%)
* 2018 games: 11-26 (42.3%)

Reactions: dukesince91
If Duke is to go anywhere in March Duval will be perhaps the biggest reason they do.

That's a fact.

Speaking of main board, I can’t post on there anymore. Do you know why by chance?

You can't? That's strange. I'd message a mod and see if they can help?

Wait, is it something where it says you've reached a limit? That you can fix. Lemme know if that is it.

Wait, is it something where it says you've reached a limit? That you can fix. Lemme know if that is it.

I have that message what do you do?

Reactions: skysdad
Good post, but why is people suggesting Duval to be benched considered ignorant to you?
“Duval needs to sit on the bench”- without any substance or explanation? Yeah that’s stupid and ignorant.

“Duval is really killing us right now, his shooting is poor, and he’s turning it over too much, he should come off the bench” -Completely fair.

Not attacking you at all, but is this concept difficult to understand?

Reactions: Mpm277
“Duval needs to sit on the bench”- without any substance or explanation? Yeah that’s stupid and ignorant.

The entire article is pretty descriptive as to why....

The two biggest obstacles that need solved with him on the floor are...

1) opponents don’t leave Grayson and Duvals man often is the sagger because he’s no threat offensively....Also hinders Allen’s driving ability...and thus free throw attempts....

I would also argue it makes life much harder for Bagley and Carter with Duvald man digging down...

2) He turns the ball over way to much...leading into many empty possessions and easy transition pts for the opposing team...

Those two things need solved IMO...with him on the floor leaves us basically with three non shooters and a turn over machine...it’s why Allen can’t get going....

Yea it says I have reached a limit. Been like that for days!!

I read some post don’t bash kids but the last couple of past haven’t been about Duval mainly it’s sounds like a DI royal rumble lol

loud-noises-gif-17-1.gif

Mmm...messed that Reply up on my phone...
I’m able to make sense of your point. And I agree, our offense is definitely easier to guard at the moment with Duval on the floor. Grayson is serviceable to handle the ball while Duval figures it out from the bench, but we aren’t winning a title with him being the point guard, we need him scoring at least 20.
I still believe our team’s highest ceiling though is with Duval our there at least 25 mpg, because his quickness and athleticism can’t be matched. Do we even need to reach that ceiling though is another question? We may be good enough hanging out on the 90th floor because our bigs are just that good.

Reactions: skysdad
"As a free user, there is a limit to how many messages you can post at once. Please wait a while and try again or pay for a subscription!"

Still get that on that thread too. And come on you know you like me some :p

Once you can post again, post there, the mods will remove the limit.

Reactions: pisgah101

“Duval is really killing us right now, his shooting is poor, and he’s turning it over too much, he should come off the bench” -Completely fair.

Not attacking you at all, but is this concept difficult to understand?
Most posters on this board, if you give them a chance, will explain their position and why they feel the way they feel.

Personally I feel it’s the posters who think they know better than everybody else that are aggravating. We all just watch the games. That’s all we have to go on. Give me the poster who is on here to be a fan, not the poster who is on here to prove he is the smartest guy in the room.

Most posters on this board, if you give them a chance, will explain their position and why they feel the way they feel.

Personally I feel it’s the posters who think they know better than everybody else that are aggravating. We all just watch the games. That’s all we have to go on. Give me the poster who is on here to be a fan, not the poster who is on here to prove he is the smartest guy in the room.

Sure, but I think there is also the issue of some posters not being emotional rollercoaster types and they approach things pretty consistently. Then, when they call out someone for an emotional response and reference things like "The coaching staff spends their entire lives working on this, and they have like a hundred years of experience" the person who is getting called out gets their dander up and it becomes a thing. Given how many emotional responses happen here (several dozen per game thread?) and for how many years its been going on, I think some irritation is to be expected.

Reactions: MyDudeG
If the Golden State Warriors can lose 13 games, and nobody is panicking... Why is the sky always falling when Duke loses. People just need to relax, this will all work out!

And if not, there's always golf.

Sure, but I think there is also the issue of some posters not being emotional rollercoaster types and they approach things pretty consistently. Then, when they call out someone for an emotional response and reference things like "The coaching staff spends their entire lives working on this, and they have like a hundred years of experience" the person who is getting called out gets their dander up and it becomes a thing. Given how many emotional responses happen here (several dozen per game thread?) and for how many years its been going on, I think some irritation is to be expected.
Good point Dude. My thing is, is that it’s the internet and people are people. They’re gonna say crazy things sometimes. We all are gonna say crazy things sometimes.

For instance with the game threads, you know if we are losing, some crazy negative shit is gonna be said. Never fails. I don’t see much reason to get too mad at that when you know it’s coming. Hell, I like to console myself when we are losing by reading the negative posts. I’m like well, at least I’m not feeling as bad as the guy who feels the need to say that crazy shit.

I see this board as like a safe zone. All Duke fans. Well unfortunately that’s not entirely true about it being all Duke fans. But as far as the Duke fans go, I’m not sure why we can’t all get along. We want the same thing: Duke to do well.

If the Golden State Warriors can lose 13 games, and nobody is panicking... Why is the sky always falling when Duke loses. People just need to relax, this will all work out!

And if not, there's always golf.
82 games vs 31. 7 game series in the post season vs single game elimination.

I agree that people take losses hard. But losing doesn't bother me as much as how we are losing. If you lose on a night where everyone gave it their all and the other team just played better, that is not as concerning. I think what has people concerned is the same mistakes repeating themselves and there doesn't seem to be a collective effort to correct them. There is still a few weeks for them to work on their downfalls. And at the end of the day, even with five losses, starting at 4th place through 12th there aren't any teams that have had a significantly better season than Duke. So if we finish strong and at least make it to the ACC championship game I think Duke will have a case for a top 2 or 3 seed even with potentially having 7 or 8 losses.

Reactions: GillJET
I believe we win the ACC tournament. Don't know if that gets us a one sees or not, but I think we win it

Jwill you've clearly made this team and it's players your idol. Stop it man.

Kidding aside, JWill gets it. Thank you for that man. I guess nobody here actually noticed Duval is constantly improving. EVEN his 3 ball. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT