ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS FURMAN OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

We played sluggish and beat a good team by 30.

We are scary.

It’s so nice to see inside-out basketball. It’s a beautiful thing. Get those easy buckets and get in the bonus early. It makes the game so much easier and you don’t have to worry about bad shooting nights. I still say Carter may be the best player on the team. That kid is special. He’s Okafor but can play defense. He’s actually better moving his feet on defense than Bagley. Those guards can’t drive on him. Bagley is great too. That may be the best frontcourt scoring tandem I’ve seen in college in a long time. Both can literally take over a game. I still want to know what scout said Duval has trouble running a team. He runs the offense almost perfect. He knows when to pass and when to score. He actually set his teammates up to score. His assists aren’t by mistake or forced.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
It’s so nice to see inside-out basketball. It’s a beautiful thing. Get those easy buckets and get in the bonus early. It makes the game so much easier and you don’t have to worry about bad shooting nights. I still say Carter may be the best player on the team. That kid is special. He’s Okafor but can play defense. He’s actually better moving his feet on defense than Bagley. Those guards can’t drive on him. Bagley is great too. That may be the best frontcourt scoring tandem I’ve seen in college in a long time. Both can literally take over a game. I still want to know what scout said Duval has trouble running a team. He runs the offense almost perfect. He knows when to pass and when to score. He actually set his teammates up to score. His assists aren’t by mistake or forced.

Duke/Coach K has a way of bringing out the best in a PG

So am I the only one that thinks Javin should get more playing time? It’s not always about scoring. Dude is all over the court making plays: rebounding, blocking shot, steals, dunks.

Yeah I wish Duke had it's own network like BYU does so we could see all of our games with our announcers. Could you imagine an announcing team of Show, dirt and myself. Show could be the color man, dirt play by play and I could ramble on about players like Banks, Heyman, Marin, Mullins, Lewis, Denton, Verga, DiVinzio, Armstrong, Spanarkel, Fleisher, Hodge, Taylor, Gminski, Bender, Vacendek, Dennard, and Golden. ;) OFC

Be a break over Bilas!!- :D

OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
Duval has been really great - exceeded all my expectations.

Side note - I like this guy who has called several of these games and the exhibitions with Henderson. He does a good job.

Duval has been really great - exceeded all my expectations.

Side note - I like this guy who has called several of these games and the exhibitions with Henderson. He does a good job.
Duval has been exceptional. He is really really good.

Ryan Craig is also very very good. Duke grad.

Really good post. I find Carter to be more like Elton than Jah, both have such amazing hands and are very quick off the floor. Duval is special, his vision and handles are exceptionally strong for any year, especially a freshman.

I hope the last 2 games by Grayson are a little by design. Hoping K had him looking to get the others involved. He has scored 15 points since throttling Michigan State. I realize he did have 6 assists tonight though. These last two games looked to me like he had no rhythm and forced a few shots.
I'm betting on this being part of K's plan, being so comfortable with Allen and his ability. I love his team play, and I love our inside presence, but to me he needs to play with that fire, and the more aggressive he is, the better Duke is.
We have some serious talent, but Allen is and should be the focal point, I don't care what lottery picks we have, Duke goes as far as he can take them.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I hope the last 2 games by Grayson are a little by design. Hoping K had him looking to get the others involved. He has scored 15 points since throttling Michigan State. I realize he did have 6 assists tonight though. These last two games looked to me like he had no rhythm and forced a few shots.
I'm betting on this being part of K's plan, being so comfortable with Allen and his ability. I love his team play, and I love our inside presence, but to me he needs to play with that fire, and the more aggressive he is, the better Duke is.
We have some serious talent, but Allen is and should be the focal point, I don't care what lottery picks we have, Duke goes as far as he can take them.

He's definitely had only bit roles in the last two, but they havent been feature films. I know where you're coming from though. OFC

K mentioned in his presser after the game that Grayson was a little banged up and hasn’t practiced since MSU. Thought he was just out of rhythm but overall played well. Thought he handled the ball well and it showed with six assists.

Wendell is just fantastic for us. His defense in this game was great. Rebounds were strong. Gary has lost his confidence. Worries me a bit. If he continues to wave off on open looks I think Alex may take his spot. Bagley is concentrating a lot more on his FT 's making me very happy. Grayson's assists were nice. Trevon. Wow. He really keeps the opposing team off balance. His passing is on point. Toughness, speed, court vision. Just badass. The upcoming tournament will be a huge test. GO DUKE.

Wendell and Marvin are far and away ahead of where a traditional freshman big should be. They play so damn fast and have so much skill we really need to cherish this, it doesn't come along all that often. Especially 2 at the same time.

Going forward I want to see us continue to improve defensively, we need to guard the 3 point line. We have some big big bodies in the paint, rim protectors that we haven't had in years past. It should allow our guards to play tight man-to-man with the luxury of some big trees waiting behind. I get why we continue to play that 2-3 zone, personally, I just don't like it. Teams get too many open looks at 3 and it allows bad teams to beat good teams on any given night.

Reactions: dukesince91
K mentioned in his presser after the game that Grayson was a little banged up and hasn’t practiced since MSU. Thought he was just out of rhythm but overall played well. Thought he handled the ball well and it showed with six assists.
I hope that was the case. I'm very biased for him, and will admit it. I want every Duke kid to play well, but I don't know if it's because of everything he has done for the program and went through but I want him to do so good every game, and I want EVERY shot to go in. Plus I think the team is at its best when he is at his.
In a silly way, when I watch him play I feel like I'm watching my kid play, and I found myself mad that he missed 7 shots last night.

It seems with all the Bagley talk, we weren't talking about Duvall and Carter enough.

I hope that was the case. I'm very biased for him, and will admit it. I want every Duke kid to play well, but I don't know if it's because of everything he has done for the program and went through but I want him to do so good every game, and I want EVERY shot to go in. Plus I think the team is at its best when he is at his.
In a silly way, when I watch him play I feel like I'm watching my kid play, and I found myself mad that he missed 7 shots last night.

I know what you mean Mr.Mac.....Special player, excellent student and a warrior. He certainly has been less involved the last couple games it seems. I know watching the Southern 1st half, his touches in the 1st half on offense seemed way down.. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I’ve had many duke players that i have felt that way for. Grayson included. But as we know, when the lights are brightest he will shine.

I think Duval will do well against Berry. He will really make Berry work on defense. I can't see Berry staying in front of him.
Even if he is in front Trevon is too big for him to stop at the rim.Was anyone else impressed with that fifteen foot jumper at the elbow last night.If he gets consistent with that shot,God have mercy on anyone trying to guard him

Berry and Duval are very different players. Should be a nice matchup and I’m not sure how much they actually check each other. Could see UnC going zone on us.

I have a stats question. Did the opening tip count as a turnover? The broadcasters were talking about it and i was curious as to what the outcome was.

I have a stats question. Did the opening tip count as a turnover? The broadcasters were talking about it and i was curious as to what the outcome was.
I am not positive, but I think it counted as Furman winning the tip. I only say that because the loser of the tip is awarded the arrow and Duke got the ball on the first jump ball.

Reactions: dbav
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT