ADVERTISEMENT

Duke to require students to present proof of COVID vaccination

College is a privilege, not a right... hmm. I take it we're on the same page when it comes to student loan forgiveness and tax payers funded "free college". That's great.
College is a privilege not a right. So why should taxpayers subsidize student loan forgiveness? Dam somebody been Ghosted

College is a privilege not a right. So why should taxpayers subsidize student loan forgiveness? Dam somebody been Ghosted
Great point Ghost. So college is a universal right when it’s time for the rest of us to pick up the check but re covid it’s a privilege so you have to get vaccinated or pack your bags. Seems reasonable to me

The vaccine is only approved for emergency use. The fda hasn't approved it yet. No one can be required to take it legally speaking.

A lady I know well died yesterday morning of a massive stroke caused by an aneurysm. She took the johnson and johnson vaccine about a week prior.

A lady I know well died yesterday morning of a massive stroke caused by an aneurysm. She took the johnson and johnson vaccine about a week prior.
I am sorry for your loss but people do die from non-covid related issues even after vaccines. Correlation is not causation.

As someone who has had Covid and plans to get the vaccine, I think this is absolutely ridiculous.

What happens when the vaccine loses its effectiveness? Are they going to require yearly booster shots? Semi-yearly? At what level of ineffectiveness are they going require additional vaccination? 85%? 50%? 10%? How much testing is going to be required on the individual to make sure his/her vaccine is still effective? What about people with antibodies which studies show are equal to or even more effective than the vaccine? Not all vaccines are created equal---is the school going to require a specific manufacturer? What about visitors who come on campus? What about non-student fans at the games?

Huge slippery slope we are about to slide on for a vaccine we know very little about.

Feel like this translates into: "anything that i don't agree with should be discounted."
Not at all. He has a pretty proven track record of distorting interviews and just plain lying. There are a number of thoughtful people, who are much smarter than me, and whose views are different from mine. I don't discount them at all. In fact, one reason I like the debate is that I am introduced to new ideas and have the opportunity to learn. O'Keefe, however, does not merit serious thought or discussion.

Not at all. He has a pretty proven track record of distorting interviews and just plain lying. There are a number of thoughtful people, who are much smarter than me, and whose views are different from mine. I don't discount them at all. In fact, one reason I like the debate is that I am introduced to new ideas and have the opportunity to learn. O'Keefe, however, does not merit serious thought or discussion.
Apparently, the CNN director went on dates with an undercover employee of Project Veritas. Was is sneaky by O’Keefe? Maybe. Does it change the fact of what the cnn guy said? No. He’s been caught.
He openly admits what many people have known.

Reactions: tw3301
I guess we will both wait and see but the union threatening law suits does not necessarily mean the union is correct and the labor laws and union contracts place union employees in different categories from students.
True except for the different catagory, the company knows they can't force a non-approved vaccine and neither can the government, or anybody else. If the vaccine is ever approved, then they may force a vaccine as a requirement. What's really ridiculous is, is that the vaccine doesn't work. It doesn't keep you from catching covid or spreading it. Only is suppose to make symptoms less fatal. I understand the old, more vulnerable, population would want it. My folks both took the vaccine. I'll pass. I ain't a lab ape, I'll stand back, wait and watch.

• Love
Reactions: Fourteen44
As someone who has had Covid and plans to get the vaccine, I think this is absolutely ridiculous.

What happens when the vaccine loses its effectiveness? Are they going to require yearly booster shots? Semi-yearly? At what level of ineffectiveness are they going require additional vaccination? 85%? 50%? 10%? How much testing is going to be required on the individual to make sure his/her vaccine is still effective? What about people with antibodies which studies show are equal to or even more effective than the vaccine? Not all vaccines are created equal---is the school going to require a specific manufacturer? What about visitors who come on campus? What about non-student fans at the games?

Huge slippery slope we are about to slide on for a vaccine we know very little about.
I had covid too. Three shots of peach brandy, a hot shower, and wrapped up in blankets. Killed it in less than 18 hours.

Reactions: Fourteen44
True except for the different catagory, the company knows they can't force a non-approved vaccine and neither can the government, or anybody else. If the vaccine is ever approved, then they may force a vaccine as a requirement. What's really ridiculous is, is that the vaccine doesn't work. It doesn't keep you from catching covid or spreading it. Only is suppose to make symptoms less fatal. I understand the old, more vulnerable, population would want it. My folks both took the vaccine. I'll pass. I ain't a lab ape, I'll stand back, wait and watch.
You’ll appreciate this my man:

Reactions: CrazyHeel
There are a number of schools that are doing what Duke is doing and their lawyers believe they are on firm legal footing.
For now, until the vaccine shows higher levels of severe side affects and ends up not being as efficient as touted. I do understand the private company portion though - that’ll likely hurt them in their revenues.

Bingo. Labor law is very different. Still could be an issue, but employees are a different category than students. What if staff demands that students are vaccinated? Lots of moving parts here.

I had covid too. Three shots of peach brandy, a hot shower, and wrapped up in blankets. Killed it in less than 18 hours.
You got lucky. Hundreds of thousands of other people didn't. If the vaccine moves more people into your category than into the morgue then that is a societal plus.

You got lucky. Hundreds of thousands of other people didn't. If the vaccine moves more people into your category than into the morgue then that is a societal plus.
I was blessed, for sure. I do wish we knew the real numbers of deaths from covid. The gov. numbers are ramped up with fraud from hospitals, and assisted living homes just to get to gov. payout. It's bad enough people are dieing, but to lie about how just to get money is sickening.

I was blessed, for sure. I do wish we knew the real numbers of deaths from covid. The gov. numbers are ramped up with fraud from hospitals, and assisted living homes just to get to gov. payout. It's bad enough people are dieing, but to lie about how just to get money is sickening.
200w.gif

Actually there are plenty of examples of state governments underreporting death from Covid. Cuomo in NYC lied about the number of deaths in nursing homes and then there is Florida, all so DeSantis doesn't have to order a mask mandate. Equally disgusting.

Actually there are plenty of examples of state governments underreporting death from Covid. Cuomo in NYC lied about the number of deaths in nursing homes and then there is Florida, all so DeSantis doesn't have to order a mask mandate. Equally disgusting.
Lol

Top 3 states for elderly population.
1. California
2. Florida
3. Texas

Top 3 states for covid deaths.

1. California
2. New York
3. Texas

States with stricter mask mandates are having more problems than states that don't have mask mandates. In fact when Texas lifted their mask mandate, they saw the biggest 4 week decline in cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Wisconsin saw a single period where cases surged, that just so happened to be when they enforced a mask mandate. The counties in this country that have had the biggest covid issues have been the ones with the strictest mandates. Time to start considering anecdotal evidence that doesn't support the narrative that best suits our beliefs.

I disagree but had golf league tonight and have been drinking so I won't go into specifics about the lawsuits he has won, I'll just say I disagree.

I know of four people that have ‘died’ of Covid but were all either in hospice or faced grave results. Three of the four should not have had anything to do with Covid on their death certificate, but did.

That said, my 43-year-old cousin passed away today from Covid. Very healthy, active and the proud dad to two pre-teen sons. My heart is in a tough place tonight.

Covid is very, very real. My dad battled for five nights in the ICU and an uncle for over a week. But, we live in a world where everything is political. For everyone on the right, and others on the left, this isn’t everything you’re being told. We have a pandemic that has largely been made political, and it only is dividing us further. Wake up!

It’s entirely possible to know this thing is so, so real....while also understanding and seeing there’s other things at play here.

I know of four people that have ‘died’ of Covid but were all either in hospice or faced grave results. Three of the four should not have had anything to do with Covid on their death certificate, but did.

That said, my 43-year-old cousin passed away today from Covid. Very healthy, active and the proud dad to two pre-teen sons. My heart is in a tough place tonight.

Covid is very, very real. My dad battled for five nights in the ICU and an uncle for over a week. But, we live in a world where everything is political. For everyone on the right, and others on the left, this isn’t everything you’re being told. We have a pandemic that has largely been made political, and it only is dividing us further. Wake up!

It’s entirely possible to know this thing is so, so real....while also understanding and seeing there’s other things at play here.
Sorry for your loss. My aunt had a tough case of it. She's 75 years old. The docs wanted to ventilate her but she refused, she made it through. I'm 45. Diabetic, and smoke. My case lasted for less than 24 hours, except for the sense of smell and taste. It's strange how covid effects different people differently.

States with stricter mask mandates are having more problems than states that don't have mask mandates. In fact when Texas lifted their mask mandate, they saw the biggest 4 week decline in cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Wisconsin saw a single period where cases surged, that just so happened to be when they enforced a mask mandate. The counties in this country that have had the biggest covid issues have been the ones with the strictest mandates. Time to start considering anecdotal evidence that doesn't support the narrative that best suits our beliefs.
In Wisconsin, local governments kept the mandate in place and by the time of the court ruling, a lot of the population had received at least one covid vaccine. Perhaps those factors accounted for the drop?

In Wisconsin, local governments kept the mandate in place and by the time of the court ruling, a lot of the population had received at least one covid vaccine. Perhaps those factors accounted for the drop?
The Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled the governor's mandates unconstitutional last Spring. Long before the vaccine. The state opened back up without restrictions and never saw any significant spikes, especially in comparison to other states, until last fall. The uptick in cases leading to the eventual spike directly correlated with the timing of the mandatory mask mandate. This is a trend seen everywhere, yet we are still supposed to ignore it. You picked Wisconsin to debate, why? There are so many other examples across the country. You can break down Florida county by county. The hardest hit county in Florida is Miami-Dade. They had mask mandates very early. L.A. county in California had some of the harshest mandates in all of the country including masks and at one point they led the nation in cases per capita. And furthermore, explain Texas.

It's time to acknowledge that at this point masks are nothing more than a protector of feelings. And when you regurgitate ignorant talking points such as your laughable criticism of DeSantis, you are being nothing more than a political hack. You guys have made this political the entire time by criticizing republican governors while ignoring the fact that a large majority of deaths have come from democrat run states. No surprise because those states posses a lot of the most populated cities, but the point remains. You can't criticize the decision of republican governors while ignoring the democrat governors when the data shows that those states you are criticizing are having better success overall, economically as well as with the virus, than the biggest liberal run states. Covid is apolitical, always has been.

Our 3 county area hasn't had a lot of deaths compared to other parts of NC. I have a client whoes parents both died of covid, I am not sure of their health prior. Those are the only deaths of anyone who I know that knows. Most people in my office have had it, no one got really sick. My wife and I had it before Thanksgiving, she lost taste and felt winded, but that was it. I felt bad for 3 days, only one really bad day. We are more fortunate than a lot of people.

I am sorry to hear about your cousin, best wishes to your family.

You are right about covid being real. And you are right about it being political in a way meant to further divide us. It's a shame, but as you said, everything is political today. I believe this should be a wake-up call to our country for us to focus on getting in better health. We like to talk about how the deaths in America are disproportionate to the rest of the world, but we don't like to acknowledge that we are one of, if not the most unhealthy countries.

Our 3 county area hasn't had a lot of deaths compared to other parts of NC. I have a client whoes parents both died of covid, I am not sure of their health prior. Those are the only deaths of anyone who I know that knows. Most people in my office have had it, no one got really sick. My wife and I had it before Thanksgiving, she lost taste and felt winded, but that was it. I felt bad for 3 days, only one really bad day. We are more fortunate than a lot of people.

I am sorry to hear about your cousin, best wishes to your family.

You are right about covid being real. And you are right about it being political in a way meant to further divide us. It's a shame, but as you said, everything is political today. I believe this should be a wake-up call to our country for us to focus on getting in better health. We like to talk about how the deaths in America are disproportionate to the rest of the world, but we don't like to acknowledge that we are one of, if not the most unhealthy countries.
We are the ones that made it political? Give me a break.

We are the ones that made it political? Give me a break.
One. Did you quote the right post? Because all I did in that post was acknowledge that it was made political. I didn't assign blame.

Two. Do you ever address an actual point?

One. Did you quote the right post? Because all I did in that post was acknowledge that it was made political. I didn't assign blame.

Two. Do you ever address an actual point?
Not sure about #1, but #2, A Ha Ha. She digs those heels in even deeper.

I do place majorly of the blame on the dems. They’ve cooked the books, and used fear like gas on a fire.

COVID is real. That is a fact. Just like the vaccine was available for emergency use and not approved by the FDA. Also a fact that it is the fastest vaccine to market EVER. I think it is worth the risk if you are at risk. My father is vaccinated. He is 82 and his health has been bad thanks to Parkinson's. I am chosing to wait. I want to see if there are any long range effects from what I consider to be an untested vaccine from a long range point of view. I do not consider this political although plenty do. Trump was touting this as much as Biden.

My brother, nephew and son all contracted COVID. Luckily, they all got through it.

I don't know what percentage of people with COVID have lingering issues. We also don't know if those issues will persist. It all adds up to too many unknowns for me at this point.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
COVID is real. That is a fact. Just like the vaccine was available for emergency use and not approved by the FDA. Also a fact that it is the fastest vaccine to market EVER. I think it is worth the risk if you are at risk. My father is vaccinated. He is 82 and his health has been bad thanks to Parkinson's. I am chosing to wait. I want to see if there are any long range effects from what I consider to be an untested vaccine from a long range point of view. I do not consider this political although plenty do. Trump was touting this as much as Biden.

My brother, nephew and son all contracted COVID. Luckily, they all got through it.

I don't know what percentage of people with COVID have lingering issues. We also don't know if those issues will persist. It all adds up to too many unknowns for me at this point.
Valid all around...one thing some forget is that this vaccine wasn't solely created in the short time since COVID-19....SARS back in 2002 and MERS in 2012 got the ball rolling on understanding the structure, genome, life cycle, and etc...glad those close to you came out unscathed

Additionally, MRNA vaccines have been in the works since 1995. The lipid coating that allows it to be delivered to the cells without being attacked and destroyed by the body's immune system was mastered in 1975. This wasn't a miracle out of left field.

Reactions: durhamgolfer
some interesting points. I thought this was interesting since it was from someone who I generally disagree with but on this, we are aligned. The perception vs the facts of Covid is completely out of control.

some interesting points. I thought this was interesting since it was from someone who I generally disagree with but on this, we are aligned. The perception vs the facts of Covid is completely out of control.

I watched that earlier. His overall premise is spot on. What should be a topic that ultimately we all view the same, since it’s a virus, is instead being used as a political tool by both sides.

Just stop. Hundreds of thousands of others died with covid, not of covid. Big difference especially given the first time ever, in history, allowing a secondary subjective COD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT