ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Jordan waters fumbling for the pack. He is really having a tough first game wearing red. Should have stayed with Blue. Lol

Last edited:
59 yards rushing? Against Elon? Elon has the ball for 33 minutes? Got a very long way to go on offense. Defense looked good.
Duke had 67 plays for 350 yards. (5.2 yards/play)
Elon had 60 plays for 140 yards. (2.3 yards/play)

1. FCS and overmatched G5 teams go into games against P4 teams intent on winning TOP because it's the only way to stay relatively close.
2. Duke's offense wants to be up-tempo and that's going to mean some 6-10-play drives that only take 2-3 minutes off the clock.
3. If you're a defensive player, would it be harder to be on the field for 10 snaps that occur in 2:30 of game time? Or 10 snaps that occur over 5 minutes of game time?

Duke had 67 plays for 350 yards. (5.2 yards/play)
Elon had 60 plays for 140 yards. (2.3 yards/play)

1. FCS and overmatched G5 teams go into games against P4 teams intent on winning TOP because it's the only way to stay relatively close.
2. Duke's offense wants to be up-tempo and that's going to mean some 6-10-play drives that only take 2-3 minutes off the clock.
3. If you're a defensive player, would it be harder to be on the field for 10 snaps that occur in 2:30 of game time? Or 10 snaps that occur over 5 minutes of game time?
Good analysis. You have enlightened me. Thanks. OFC

i agree with devilinside. i have gone back and looked at the box scores and loftis was meh
vs wake
7-19 86yds 1td 1int
vs unc
16-28 189 yds 3td. we ran the ball for 179yds. maye passed for 342yds so how loftis outplayed him i dont know. WE GOT ROBBED
vs uva
26-45 270yds 2td 1 int.
vs pitt
20-37 248yds 2td 1 int

i like loftis but he is no riley. he went 69-129 for the year so he barely completed above 50% of his throws.
belin is in the same ballpark but his one full game he played with a busted shoulder so he is also an unknown
murphy is also an unknown. he started 2 games and in his big game he threw 2 int.
potential potential potential we have and i hope someone steps up
Sorry DI, surf, but after Elon I am still a Loftis guy. Surf you posted some very good stats from the Duke-UNC game to support your point. However the most important stat is Duke led the Cheaters VERY LATE in regulation behind Loftis. We just couldn't hold 'em and got hosed by the refs.Agree to Disagree.

OFC

I'm doing something a little new this year, posting Pro Football Focus grades for each game.

Here are the grades for Duke's offense | Here are the grades for Duke's defense.

A note: I've skewed from doing these in the past because PFF contorts itself as an exact measure of performance, purely statistical, and yet it's very much subjective. I've pointed out some times over the past couple of seasons how even their counting stats are wrong.

But there is *some* value in posting their grades, I think, with the context that comes with them and making you aware that it's not an exact science.

Also, here's a short interview with Bryce Davis from Friday night.

I did not see Friday's game ( on the West Coast where apparently they haven't caught up to the fact that they are in ACC territory now!). Am I correct in saying the O line kept Elon's hands off of Maalik (so he wasn't forced to run) but couldn't move the Elon D line off the line of scrimmage?

That was the hallmark of some of the early Cut teams, and the reason why he played a much more open offense in the early '10s (according to my son, the Offensive line expert in the family who says it's easier to teach pass blocking than run blocking). And may be why we have a passing QB playing all the snaps.

I did not see Friday's game ( on the West Coast where apparently they haven't caught up to the fact that they are in ACC territory now!). Am I correct in saying the O line kept Elon's hands off of Maalik (so he wasn't forced to run) but couldn't move the Elon D line off the line of scrimmage?

That was the hallmark of some of the early Cut teams, and the reason why he played a much more open offense in the early '10s (according to my son, the Offensive line expert in the family who says it's easier to teach pass blocking than run blocking). And may be why we have a passing QB playing all the snaps.
I think that’s an accurate summary, Liftee.

OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
I agree.

Also worth mentioning -- again -- that Maalik Murphy's skillset is much better suited for what Duke wants to do offensively, which now you saw (well, not you specifically, @Liftee, but others) as a spread, air raid-style attack with a lot of downfield passes.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Urge every Duke fb fan to watch this. Conor does a really nice job, and Bryce seems like a truly cordial and respectful young man. Glad we got him!!! He's not only a great player. Davis has leadership qualities which I am sure will emerge at Duke!!!

OFC
In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't figured out cloning yet, so that video from Friday night didn't come from me. Hat-tip to the publisher of the N.C. State site, Jacey Zemball, for grabbing Bryce on that interview.

To be honest, he didn’t impress me. Seems slow, and lateral quickness wasn’t great either. His 2 sacks came after a running back about 90 pounds lighter and 6 inches shorter failed to block him.

Reactions: ConorONeill
ugly ugly game but we won despite ourselves. now we just need to keep improving week by week.

30 carries for 93 yds for a 3.1 average. going into the game it was noted that the strength of the MW team was the defensive front 7 so...

we allowed a blocked punt, muffed a punt catch and missed a short fg. our special teams are an issue. that was one of Manny's hires that people questioned was the ST coach. no experience in this area.

the defense was solid and kept us in the game. they also had 0 sacks and dropped 3 ints so coaching points for the week.

Murphy was solid in the second half and ot. he went 24-39 for 242yds 3td 1 int
they listed 8 dropped passes so even if you add 6 of those to his numbers thats a 75% completion rate and probably close to 300 yds. HE IS NOT MOBILE at all but man what an arm. i would like to see a ''connette'' package with either Belin or Loftis.

i know people were saying NW is not good but like last year lets let the season play out. they DID win 8 games last year after all the ''they suck'' conversation.

despite all the mistakes we won a road game against a BIG10 team and have now beaten them 6 years in a row

Watched every play and finally got wound down and off to sleep at 2:30am. Ecstatic over the team's ability to fight adversity and win a Titanic struggle.

Murphy delivered like a champ late, but his lack of running ability could hurt moving forward. I am perplexed about Loftis apparent bump to #3 on depth chart. Belin ran well however. Murphy seemed to play better after he came back in. Has Loftis perhaps already told Diaz he's gone after this
season??

Oh well, main thing is we are 2-0, and have "Uncle Mo" behind us.Hope our students are out in force for UConn!! #GoDuke

OFC

Watched every play and finally got wound down and off to sleep at 2:30am. Ecstatic over the team's ability to fight adversity and win a Titanic struggle.

Murphy delivered like a champ late, but his lack of running ability could hurt moving forward. I am perplexed about Loftis apparent bump to #3 on depth chart. Belin ran well however. Murphy seemed to play better after he came back in. Has Loftis perhaps already told Diaz he's gone after this
season??

Oh well, main thing is we are 2-0, and have "Uncle Mo" behind us.Hope our students are out in force for UConn!! #GoDuke

OFC
The plan was to redshirt Loftis last season. If Murphy and Belin can stay healthy, Duke may revisit redshirting Loftis this season to get him back to his original track.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT