ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

How can Rorie be back? Didn't he enroll at Texas State? That's crazy...great, but crazy.

Going to bullet point these as best I can ...

- the Travis Bates move was in the story from two days ago.

- Christian Rorie is indeed back. (As is Nicky Dalmolin, who I'll have a story about sometime soon)

- I think Hasley is still at TE. Roster I just looked at said TE and the roster they gave us on Tuesday said TE.

- Bergeron is listed as a LB now because this staff isn't listing "nickel" as a position.

How well does Grayson Loftis have to perform in preseason camp to win starting qb slot vs Elon?? Nothing against Maalik Murphy (glad to have him), but Loftis is a solid field general with the more accurate arm.

Nonetheless, all the preseason hype I read all but declares Murphy as the default starter. Diaz better be careful. If Murphy gets most of the snaps this year, Loftis could easily bail. Murphy may seek a better NIL deal.

Hey I am a Manny fan. However I can't help but feel like Grayson was "recruited over." Let's hope it works out, but I will make a DARK MONDAY prediction: I don't think we see Loftis or Murphy in Durham next season.Ok, fire away on me.

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: Devilinside
Hart, I have thought the same thing. I gather that Murphy was too good to pass up. He may prove that to be true but Loftis (the "new Grayson") really bailed us out last year. I also could see some sharing of the position but Malik will be given every opportunity to excel.

My guess is that Grayson has been sold on the idea that he is a year ahead of schedule, that he would have sat if Riley hadn't gotten hurt last year and had come back this year, and the job will be his next year regardless of what happens this year.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Well he was recruited over. He was a very low 3star and a better QB became available. No different than if Tyler Cherry had come in this year as the 4star QB he was. Personally I think Belin is better than Loftis if he is now fully healthy which they say he is finally. We have the best QB room that I can remember and am happy for it. Will 1 end up transferring out? Probably but that's how college works now. Murphy transferred in because Texas had 2 4star and 2 5star kids on the roster. That is competition. He saw how deep it was and said maybe there is somewhere else for me. We have a solid 3star coming in for next year so I would assume one of Belin/Loftis will leave.

Last edited:
My guess is that Grayson has been sold on the idea that he is a year ahead of schedule, that he would have sat if Riley hadn't gotten hurt last year and had come back this year, and the job will be his next year regardless of what happens this year.
Very sound theory @Liftee and quite plausible this occurred. Obviously you and I saw the same qualities in Loftis last year, and see him as quite capable(and I see little merit in his ratings from high school).

He really outgunned Drake Maye @ UNC last year, but the officials made sure Duke didnt win the 2nd straight year. Loftis also showed more consistency this spring. Murphy is just as likely to hit a long pass right on the numbers, as he is to throw a wild screen pass. Just feel bad for Grayson if hes buried on the pine because Manny is determined to live and die with Maalik.

Hopefully Murphy surprises us and truly emerges. Btw, I see no way Belin as our 2nd best qb. He threw one perfect long spiral vs NC State, a game our defense dominated. Belin crapped the bed on the goal line vs FSU, a very winnable game for the Blue Devils. Also he's really going to be behind after his season ending upper body injury last year.

OFC

Reactions: Liftee
I saw somewhere that Malik Murphy doesn't consider himself a runner. Loftis is no speedster for sure. That may be a problem if the O line isn't as solid as I hope it is. A QB that can move around might be important and I don't know which if any of the three have that quality.

I saw somewhere that Malik Murphy doesn't consider himself a runner. Loftis is no speedster for sure. That may be a problem if the O line isn't as solid as I hope it is. A QB that can move around might be important and I don't know which if any of the three have that quality.
It's a valid concern Lift. I am hoping the O-Line will be better than we think. Manny got pretty busy with the portal after spring ball. Fingers crossed. Hard to believe two weeks from tonite we're playing!!

OFC

so the weights have been updated.
aladage DT from 252 to 276
boggs OL from 271 to 290
dorris OL from 270 to 290
hall DT from 277 to 290
watson DT from 271 to 292
tyler WR from 157 to 185
small OL from 280 to 290
smith OL from 280 to 290
like seeing growth in the trenches.
never thought that the high school weight for Tyler could right but they still list it

Last edited:
Well, I feel bad for Loftis, but Diaz must have seen a lot with Murphy. Can't wait for the first game.

If we "don't need a savior," why did Diaz over recruit Murphy from the portal over Loftis? Guys I am sorry, but I saw Grayson's upside last year. I saw a qb who took Drake Maye to the wire in Chapel Hill. Huge gamble by Duke to send Loftis to portal.

The so-called qb battle was never in doubt. Manny knew the day MM signed, he had his starting qb.Go ahead, fry me, "make my day." Lol......

OFC

Last edited:
I don't think anybody is going to fry you for that, @hart2chesson.

Manny's quote about Maalik not needing to be a "savior" had more to do with getting him to understand he didn't need to be perfect over the last few weeks.

Duke's program doesn't need a savior -- at QB or head coach -- but it desperately needed to upgrade its QB position with Riley Leonard's departure and Tyler Cherry's flip. Going into a season with a sophomore who'd started 5 games (Loftis) and a redshirt sophomore who's dealt with recurring shoulder issues (Belin) is a recipe for disaster. So, if you need an upgrade, might as well get the best one possible -- which happened to be a former top-150 recruit who Manny has known since he was in middle school.

so why is no one crying that Belin (who was the #2 qb till injury last year) was recruited over and per some has lost a spot on the depth chart. i really like hart and liftee but have just never agreed on this one take. heck Belin beat (a better than unc) nc state team with only one shoulder. i am just happy that we have 3 good qb's in our room at the moment

Last edited:
I don't think anybody is going to fry you for that, @hart2chesson.

Manny's quote about Maalik not needing to be a "savior" had more to do with getting him to understand he didn't need to be perfect over the last few weeks.

Duke's program doesn't need a savior -- at QB or head coach -- but it desperately needed to upgrade its QB position with Riley Leonard's departure and Tyler Cherry's flip. Going into a season with a sophomore who'd started 5 games (Loftis) and a redshirt sophomore who's dealt with recurring shoulder issues (Belin) is a recipe for disaster. So, if you need an upgrade, might as well get the best one possible -- which happened to be a former top-150 recruit who Manny has known since he was in middle school.
Conor you know NO ONE on this board is pulling harder than me for Duke. Thus, I am pulling like hell for Maalik to kill it at qb!! Just hope he can master the touch ball on short, mid-range passes.

Also I have been guilty of looking at this thru Grayson's eyes. Really like the grit the kid showed last year, and hope we don't lose him. Henry too. Conor thanks!

OFC

so my big surprise on this is where is DT terry simmons? still recovering from injury suffered last year? really surprised he did not make the two deep. desmond aladuge as back up NT at 276lbs? hmmm. surprised seeing 6ea true freshman already on the depth chart. i love our running back, line backer and qb depth.

Last edited:
with Bryce Davis flipping to us i think this might be the most solid defensive front we have gotten that i can remember
DE
Bryce Davis 6'4'' 245lbs
Sampson Onuoha 6'3'' 240lbs
Bariate Kara 6'5'' 248lbs
DT
Tommy Rupley 6'3'' 250lbs
Julius Columbus 6'2'' 286lbs
we got size and talent to groom. wowzers
IMPRESSIVE!!!

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
so why is no one crying that Belin (who was the #2 qb till injury last year) was recruited over and per some has lost a spot on the depth chart. i really like hart and liftee but have just never agreed on this one take. heck Belin beat (a better than unc) nc state team with only one shoulder. i am just happy that we have 3 good qb's in our room at the moment
Surf my friend. Loftis was behind Belin but performed better than Belin when Belin went down. I felt like Belin only game managed the State game. But I certainly have nothing against Belin and I hope there will be a real QB battle next year since I think Murphy will be gone. It's pretty obvious any college football team needs at least two QBs to get through the season if not more.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Loftis was behind Belin but performed better than Belin when Belin went down.
This is really my view as well Lift. Thanks for posting. Henry threw one beautiful long ball to Jalon Calhoun vs NC State for a TD. The rest was game management(as you duly noted). Loftis clearly showed more upside.

Hopefully all three of our qbs get time Friday nite vs Elon. We have quite a test I believe the following week @ Northwestern.

OFC

Reactions: jeffrey236
This is really my view as well Lift. Thanks for posting. Henry threw one beautiful long ball to Jalon Calhoun vs NC State for a TD. The rest was game management(as you duly noted). Loftis clearly showed more upside.

Hopefully all three of our qbs get time Friday nite vs Elon. We have quite a test I believe the following week @ Northwestern.

OFC
I am sorry, Hart, but in all honesty, I believe that Duke's quarterback situation is weak or, at best, a mystery. In my opinion, neither Loftis nor Belin are capable of reliably directing the offense. While Loftis did do a few good things against the Cheats, the Cheats defense was not very good. Loftis and Murphy are not quick on their feet. While Loftis did not lose games for us, he was placed in a conservative offense designed to minimize errors partly because he did not have a skill set even remotely close to Riley's. The best we can do at this point is to guess at Murphy's ability to run the team. Hopefully, my amateur evaluation of our QB's will prove to be dead wrong. OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
I guess we'll find out soon enough. Hopefully Coach Manny's positive comments about the offensive line are justified.

i agree with devilinside. i have gone back and looked at the box scores and loftis was meh
vs wake
7-19 86yds 1td 1int
vs unc
16-28 189 yds 3td. we ran the ball for 179yds. maye passed for 342yds so how loftis outplayed him i dont know. WE GOT ROBBED
vs uva
26-45 270yds 2td 1 int.
vs pitt
20-37 248yds 2td 1 int

i like loftis but he is no riley. he went 69-129 for the year so he barely completed above 50% of his throws.
belin is in the same ballpark but his one full game he played with a busted shoulder so he is also an unknown
murphy is also an unknown. he started 2 games and in his big game he threw 2 int.
potential potential potential we have and i hope someone steps up

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT