ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Nice pickup! Hope we hire a solid O-Line coach surf. I see where Cut is moving TEs and Special Teams Coach Jim Bridge to O-line coach for bowl game, and placing a grad asst in charge of TEs/STs. Hoping this isnt a permanent move. Cut has made some GAs position coaches in the past, and we can do better.

OFC
Unfortunately, he has also made some position coaches coordinators.

Thanks Surf!

Who are we looking at for spring?

the two big fish we are going after would be huge pick ups for us tyler steen ot 6'5'' 270 he had been committed to louisville but has backed out and it is now between us and vandy solid solid 3 star jairus brents cb 5'10'' 178 would be a huge get for us. solid 4 star on every site. teammate of rice. wants the big lights but still talking with us so........ after that it seems like best available. been a little surprised/hopeful that we seem to be making contact with a few lbs which i hope is a sign that maybe we go to a 4-3 d. one reason bere is leaving is who can he start over? humphries or giles-harris? our lb core is deep and strong yet we only put 2 on the field in our 4-2-5 defense. i would rather have 3 lbs over 3 S. some of our games this year like against army and ga tech we could have really played an old school 5-4 d to stop the run. army threw one pass. why not crowd the box and stop the run? oh well sorry to rant. also seems like we have talked with a few te guys lately also. maybe a few 2 te sets next year?

My guess is a bunch of 2 and 3 stars.
Nothing wrong with that.Unless you are Alabama you can take two and three star players and develop them and build a hell of a program.Remember the days when two star recruits recruits would have been a fantasy

As I previously said Surf's scoop is invaluable!! I am one of those Duke fans like Sky who has followed Duke football like Duke hoops forever. I cheer just as passionately if not more so, hence my name for whoever remembers Leo Hart and Wes Chesson! Surf keep up the fantastic work!

I hated to lose Bere- he was a beast when healthy and I dont know why Knowles wont put another LB on the field in his scheme!Its the position where we have our best players IMO...LOVE to see a double TE set as well to beef up our already strong running game!

OFC

I read somewhere that Bere has not been the same since coming back from his injuries. Don't remember if the source of that was reliable though.

I read somewhere that Bere has not been the same since coming back from his injuries. Don't remember if the source of that was reliable though.

He's fine...Surf's right- he just got lost in the shuffle behind a really talented crop of LBs...

OFC

so steen popped for vandy today. not having an oline coach played a big factor i think. we really need to find one more quality ot badly

Losing Steen to Vandy is a very bad sign. Recruits do not want to gamble their futures on inexperienced, unqualified coordinators and silly defenses like the 4/2/5. Not real optimistic about the spring signing period. This is building into one of Duke's worst recruiting classes under Cut.

silly defenses like the 4/2/5.

I'm not arguing with you, but I do have a question. What makes that defense silly? Isn't that just the nickel package? I'm only asking because I don't know football schemes well enough to know, haha.

I don't mind position coaches becoming coordinator unless they don't succeed. Then they need to go back to being a position coach. As far as the 4-2-5, it seems almost necessary to have that or the 3-5-3 as your base against spread offenses in this day and age. Formation isn't the issue, execution is.

I'm not arguing with you, but I do have a question. What makes that defense silly? Isn't that just the nickel package? I'm only asking because I don't know football schemes well enough to know, haha.
It is hard to pressure the other team's QB or to stop the run with the 4/2/5 alignment. Do not know of any other div. 1 schools who use it.

As I previously said Surf's scoop is invaluable!! I am one of those Duke fans like Sky who has followed Duke football like Duke hoops forever. I cheer just as passionately if not more so, hence my name for whoever remembers Leo Hart and Wes Chesson! Surf keep up the fantastic work!

Then you would remember the famous Shoe Lace play?

OFC

Unfortunately I was really sick and didn’t get to watch the bowl game! I’ll have to try to watch it on YouTube or something. I was happy to see they won though!

Reactions: hart2chesson
so cut made his staff changes public today. he stood by his normal pattern of sticking to the known. jeff faris to te coach and offensive recruiting coordinator. needed to get booted from wr coach and a great recruiter see we will see. jim bridge to ol coach. meh. kirk benedict a grad assistant to special teams coach. this cut trend of promoting g a has not really panned out well so far. guess we will have to wait and see on him. gerard parker to wr coach. he has some experience with this position so i am more hopeful than not. matt guerrieri to safties coach and defensive recruiting coordinator. i kinda like this. we have put to young and hungry guys in charge of recruiting. the really big thing we were all hoping for did not happen. roper keeps oc and play calling duty. CRAP.

so cut made his staff changes public today. he stood by his normal pattern of sticking to the known. jeff faris to te coach and offensive recruiting coordinator. needed to get booted from wr coach and a great recruiter see we will see. jim bridge to ol coach. meh. kirk benedict a grad assistant to special teams coach. this cut trend of promoting g a has not really panned out well so far. guess we will have to wait and see on him. gerard parker to wr coach. he has some experience with this position so i am more hopeful than not. matt guerrieri to safties coach and defensive recruiting coordinator. i kinda like this. we have put to young and hungry guys in charge of recruiting. the really big thing we were all hoping for did not happen. roper keeps oc and play calling duty. CRAP.

Surf you summed it up quite well. The one positive was Faris getting bumped from wides coach. Lets just hope he doesnt mess up our very quality te's., OFC

forgot to post this yesterday. duke has accepted a transfer from ohio state. jack wohlabaugh is a 6'4'' 295lb og/c who will have to sit for a year but will then have 2 years left. back in 2016 he was the #20 guard. we now have him, #25 julian santos and #34 jaylen miller. our interior oline is going to be very good for a few years. now we need a couple of ot bruisers.

Cut has given us no reason to be even cautiously optimistic about the future of the program. The new coaching staff plus the mediocre recruiting class and the likelihood we will continue to see the same offensive and defensive schemes is very disappointing.

With due respect, "no reason to be even cautiously optimistic"? Duke won its last 3 games. QB returns, hopefully better and healthy. Yes, i would have liked to see a game changer offensive coordinator come in, and maybe some more 4 star players. But "cautiously optimistic" is exactly what I am.

all we can hope for is that cut and roper realized they screwed up and will rededicate to the run game. (of course i keep hoping k will play and develop a bench so...) we will have the best d that i have seen at duke so if we have a descent offensive game plan i look forward to a good season. also 4 of our new recruits have enrolled for the spring. qb gunnar holmberg, ol casey holman, db jeremiah lewis and te zamori ellis.

all we can hope for is that cut and roper realized they screwed up and will rededicate to the run game. (of course i keep hoping k will play and develop a bench so...) we will have the best d that i have seen at duke so if we have a descent offensive game plan i look forward to a good season. also 4 of our new recruits have enrolled for the spring. qb gunnar holmberg, ol casey holman, db jeremiah lewis and te zamori ellis.

And to reiterate Faris not returning as receivers coach is a HUGE PLUS! OFC

I am optimistic about the future of the FB program. If Cut left for UT we would likely have taken many steps back. An experienced Jones and Gunnar watching for 2 years gives us stability at qb. Defense, TE, and RB are solid. We just need to add experience at OL and WR.

With due respect, "no reason to be even cautiously optimistic"? Duke won its last 3 games. QB returns, hopefully better and healthy. Yes, i would have liked to see a game changer offensive coordinator come in, and maybe some more 4 star players. But "cautiously optimistic" is exactly what I am.
Based on what I wrote, your comments are on point. What I was trying to say is that I cannot be optimistic that the team, as opposed to its record, will be any better. I believe that this same team, if it played the season over again without the offensive and defensive blunders, could have been 9 and 4 or 10 and 3. What kept us from getting there, in my mind, was primarily coaching. If that does not improve, I do not see how the team can improve. I just do not see Cut's changes translating into a better team. Player experience will no doubt help, but without coaching there is only so far that it can take us.

Reactions: hart2chesson
so more news out today. reno rosene ot (rjr) will graduate and leave the program. not a loss here. nice guy but never panned out as a tackle. the big news to me is that quaven ferguson is leaving the program. really liked him as a dt depth type person. maybe frustrated that the newer guys are coming in and pushing him down depth charts? have no idea and no explanation given. FYI he had a huge blow up at wake game on the bench and did not travel to the bowl game with the team. dont know if this was a factor or not but that is our 3rd dl guy gone early in just about a year

Surprise for sure. Knowles work has been rather mediocre in the past, but this year his defense really exceeded expectations. Obviously it caught some attention around the country. In fact the way Duke shutdown Ga Tech and Wake 2nd halves allowed us to get into bowl game... Best of luck to him. If we hire from within I think DL c o ach Ben Albert is the best choice, just as long as Cut doesnt promote a grad asst to DL coach.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT