ADVERTISEMENT

Coach 1K on Storming the court

Coach K must have read my book about court storming. That's exactly the way I look at it.
3dsmile.r191677.gif
OFC

I haven't read the article, but my dad said he heard a great punishment that I agree would be great. When a team rushes the court and it's in-conference, then the team who rushed the court loses a home court advantage next game.

Ex: KU and K-State play each other twice per year. One at KU and one at K-State. With this rule, K-State would play both games at KU next year. If you're in a conference like the ACC where you may play only one per year, then you play your next 'home' game (and the $ that goes with it) in exchange for a road game at the other team's place.

Hits the pocketbooks like the SEC does with the fine and gives the fans a punishment as well (no home game next time).

Originally posted by FearTheBeard:
I haven't read the article, but my dad said he heard a great punishment that I agree would be great. When a team rushes the court and it's in-conference, then the team who rushed the court loses a home court advantage next game.

Ex: KU and K-State play each other twice per year. One at KU and one at K-State. With this rule, K-State would play both games at KU next year. If you're in a conference like the ACC where you may play only one per year, then you play your next 'home' game (and the $ that goes with it) in exchange for a road game at the other team's place.

Hits the pocketbooks like the SEC does with the fine and gives the fans a punishment as well (no home game next time).
Your dad needs to work for the NCAA or at least the ACC. That is a great idea man.

Money talks. Fine the offending program $1 million. I'll bet there won't be too many happening if that were in place.

I totally dislike the court storming. As strong as our program is, I hope to never see our fans storm. Okay after the National Championship, you can mosey on out slowly I guess.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I love court storming. I see no problem with it at all. I understand that safety is the main concern for all involved (players, coaches, fans). But call it a badge of honor or right of passage for college students. As I get older (I'm 37) I never want forget what it was like when I was 18-23. I don't want to be that person that did certain things at that age, like many or most do, and then get older and tell them how to live. It is youthful exuberance. When the team wins, it is THEIR team. Their classmates. Their friends. It is for them first and fore most.

I went to ECU. We have no basketball history to speak of. I was a freshman and went to the game against UNCW. They were our "rival" in the old CAA. The crowds were usually the largest of the year. It was a sell out and UNCW missed a free throw to make it a 3 point lead with about 3 seconds to go. We take the rebound and hit a half court shot to win it at the buzzer. We stormed the court. It wasn't premeditated. It was planned. We just instinctively did it. And this was for an ECU-UNCW game. I can only imagine what it would be like to attend a school and we beat a Duke like team. I would storm in a heart beat. I just don't think we should tell the teams fellow students what is right and wrong as we all age and start to say "Get off my lawn!"

One last story. In 99, Hurricane Floyd hit Eastern North Carolina. The town was flooded and everything just shut down. The #9 Miami Hurricanes (ironically enough) were coming to play at ECU that weekend. ECU was 4-0 and looking to get the win at home. They moved the game to State at Carter Finley. We packed the place. Down 20-3 at the half, we came back and won 27-23. We stormed State's field!! Tore down their goal posts!! But how could you not? Think of the emotion of the people that lost everything. The hardship. The players that have to lose everything. It was therapeutic.

Storming is ok in my book. Just be smart when you do it.

My only issue with the storming of the court is when fans of programs that are ranked or even already historically recognized do it. Like Maryland vs Wisconsin, or UNC vs Duke last year. Now, if a huge comeback or a buzzer beater (like Duke vs VT a few years ago) fuels it, that's one thing. But I do think it is a bit ridiculous to see fans of national powers do it.

All that said, I enjoy seeing it when it is worthy.

Yes, I understand being ranked and all of that, but I am not going to fault them if they beat a Top 5 team to be honest. Buzzer beaters are worthy.

Originally posted by GTHC, GTH!:
I love court storming. I see no problem with it at all. I understand that safety is the main concern for all involved (players, coaches, fans). But call it a badge of honor or right of passage for college students. As I get older (I'm 37) I never want forget what it was like when I was 18-23. I don't want to be that person that did certain things at that age, like many or most do, and then get older and tell them how to live. It is youthful exuberance. When the team wins, it is THEIR team. Their classmates. Their friends. It is for them first and fore most.

I went to ECU. We have no basketball history to speak of. I was a freshman and went to the game against UNCW. They were our "rival" in the old CAA. The crowds were usually the largest of the year. It was a sell out and UNCW missed a free throw to make it a 3 point lead with about 3 seconds to go. We take the rebound and hit a half court shot to win it at the buzzer. We stormed the court. It wasn't premeditated. It was planned. We just instinctively did it. And this was for an ECU-UNCW game. I can only imagine what it would be like to attend a school and we beat a Duke like team. I would storm in a heart beat. I just don't think we should tell the teams fellow students what is right and wrong as we all age and start to say "Get off my lawn!"

One last story. In 99, Hurricane Floyd hit Eastern North Carolina. The town was flooded and everything just shut down. The #9 Miami Hurricanes (ironically enough) were coming to play at ECU that weekend. ECU was 4-0 and looking to get the win at home. They moved the game to State at Carter Finley. We packed the place. Down 20-3 at the half, we came back and won 27-23. We stormed State's field!! Tore down their goal posts!! But how could you not? Think of the emotion of the people that lost everything. The hardship. The players that have to lose everything. It was therapeutic.

Storming is ok in my book. Just be smart when you do it.
Storming and smart do not go hand-in-hand. OFC

Sean Miller apparently said that a university should be fined $100,000 if their fans storm the court. That would take care of that I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT