ADVERTISEMENT

Capel ACC COY??

Quavarius

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 12, 2009
Pittsburgh knocked off Louisville last night 89-86 and are 11-4 and have surpassed last season’s win total.

It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Capel wins ACC COY.

Still a long way to go, but Pitt seems to be ahead of schedule and with the way Capel recruits, Pitt may be a player in the ACC for the next few years...until Capel returns to Duke after K retires (wink wink).

Reactions: Tlass and Dattier
I know this isn’t a vintage Louisville team, but it was still a huge program win!

Absolutely could happen. Very happy to see Jeff doing well so far and not surprised by it either.

Wouldn’t it be funny that since K hasn’t won it since 2000, he would be a strong contender (especially if we only lose 1-2 games in the conference) that his former player/assistant could take it from him. Or they could possibly share out though I doubt the voters on Tobacco Road would allow that.

I think Pittsburgh is going to find it difficult to win more than six or seven games in conference, and that could even be generous. So, as for ACC COY, I don't see it happening this season. But I do feel he's going to turn that program around.

I think Duke goes 16-2 or 17-1 in conference and the ACC is forced to give the award to K, that's the only way he's gonna win it.
K winning ACC COY is like Lebron winning MVP, everybody knows who the best is, but it's boring to hand the award to the same person every year.

I think Pittsburgh is going to find it difficult to win more than six or seven games in conference, and that could even be generous. So, as for ACC COY, I don't see it happening this season. But I do feel he's going to turn that program around.

You may be right, but they damn near beat Iowa on the road. Since many predicted them to be at the bottom of the conference, finishing 10-13th will be huge and maybe enough to steal the award. Only way to go is up!

There is a precedent for this. Josh Pastner won ACC COY in 2017 when Georgia Tech was picked dead last and the team finished 8-10 in conference play. Pitt, as most are well aware of, finished 0-18 in 2018 and they were picked dead last in the 2019 pre-season poll. So yes, if they're able to win 8 conference games, I think Capel would almost be a lock for COY. But I don't know, I look at Pitt's schedule and I see maybe 6-7 winnable games, meaning they might win 3-5 of those. Pitt only plays Miami, Notre Dame, Boston College, GT, and Wake once. That certainly won't help their chances. Would love to see Pitt win 7+ conference games this season, but I don't see it happening.

But Pitt is world's better than last year. They have some athletes this year in the likes of Xavier Johnson, McGowens, Ndir, Toney, and Ellison - defense is much, much better.

Reactions: Quavarius
Not sure I can trust whoever is voting for the ACC Coach of the Year. I mean, Seth Greenberg has won it TWICE (2005 & 2008) since K got his last one in 2000.

Funny how K has 2 more national titles this century than ACC Coach of the Year honors. I'm sure he's fine with that.

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT