ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron Crazies Not The Same

This has came up a few times over the last several years. It's just not the same as it was say 10 years ago. I love our crazies but they used to be a difference maker and a true home court advantage, not saying they still aren't but it's not the same as it used to be.

I've said this in prior threads, one of the most proudest times I have even been as a Duke fan was the 94-95 season. K was out with a bad back and we went 13-18 that year but Cameron NEVER stopped rocking. We lost several home games that season and we could be getting our asses handed to us and the crowd never let up. We were down double digits some games and you would think we were up by 30 because the crazies were relentless. It was a beautiful sight to behold. As bad of a season as that was the Crazies made me so damn proud to be a Duke fan. No matter what, from start to finish the Crazies were rolling hard. I would love to have that back.

The Carolina game that year....WOW! We lost that one but it's one of my best memories as a Duke fan. We had no right to take that Carolina team to OT but our home court advantage made that possible.

As said, our Crazies are great but I want the vintage Crazies back.

Last edited:
Kids change. I can remember 20 years ago that place was crazy. The kids today are different. I'll bet that if their electronic devices mad a lot of noise then you once again couldn't hear anything else. They are just a different breed of kid. I live near Elon University and if you drive through campus and say see 20 students out changing classes or whatever 18 of them are either on their phone or looking down at their devices. You have to be careful because they will walk right out in front of you crossing the street and never look up. I'm don't know if this does have a great bearing on why the crazies aren't that loud anymore but I do think they are doing something else. i'm sure they do love the team and want to win because they are still showing up. But something is different. OFC

Kids change. I can remember 20 years ago that place was crazy. The kids today are different. I'll bet that if their electronic devices mad a lot of noise then you once again couldn't hear anything else. They are just a different breed of kid. I live near Elon University and if you drive through campus and say see 20 students out changing classes or whatever 18 of them are either on their phone or looking down at their devices. You have to be careful because they will walk right out in front of you crossing the street and never look up. I'm don't know if this does have a great bearing on why the crazies aren't that loud anymore but I do think they are doing something else. i'm sure they do love the team and want to win because they are still showing up. But something is different. OFC

I think you're on to something, Sky. I tell ya one thing I almost would guarantee blowing the roof off of Cameron. Wire up the students and make an app for their smartphones that show their level of involvement. They'd be hollering and stomping all over the place to get their 'involvement' bars to shoot higher. Yep, the Crazies need an app, and us OFC'ers need a nap.

OFC

I think you're on to something, Sky. I tell ya one thing I almost would guarantee blowing the roof off of Cameron. Wire up the students and make an app for their smartphones that show their level of involvement. They'd be hollering and stomping all over the place to get their 'involvement' bars to shoot higher. Yep, the Crazies need an app, and us OFC'ers need a nap.

OFC
the entire atmosphere in cameron has changed. the band cannot get their songs in line with when the players come out of the tunnel nor before opening tip. they start way too late and as a spectator sitting in the stands i can see it so i would assume someone locked into the band would see it also. also, the sound system inside cameron is awful. i dont mind how loud it is, but the sound itself is awful. it does get the student section involved during a timeout or a big run, but i preferred the days that the band played and there was no sound system pumping out music. my biggest complaint is the band though. get your stuff together before the tipoff and have the students jumping up and down. that is a cool experience that has long gone.

OFC
Dirt you shouldn't make fun of us old folks and their naps. I only sleep about 7 hours a night and 3 hours a day. Anyone will tell you 3 hours sleep is not enough.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I think the Crazies just need to study footage of the games at the Dean Dome. The school administrators should make that mandatory, actually. Our students need to know proper fan etiquette at a game.

There are strong years and weak years. That said, incoming classes are very different than they were 20 years ago. The internet has changed what is exciting and what is not. Live events aren't as unique as they used to be. The partying culture is more tame at Duke now too (probably a good idea overall). Smart kids are a slightly more uptight and more risk averse than they used to be as well. Helicopter parenting now extends into college years.

Things will never be the same, but they can still be great. The Purdue/Michigan game I watched was exactly like what I remember from Cameron in 2001. It's still out there. Momentum just has to build among students the right way, and its hard to do that coming in as the team with all the talent. This type of article is a good idea. Students will respond to things like this. Coach K will likely address the crazies leading up to the UNC game. That should motivate them. It always worked for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I told y'all they had tired lungs.

x7hxkR1.jpg

OFC

I don't even know what those kids are supposed to be. Are a couple of them girls?

There is a good article on DBR about the crazies from a UVA fans perspective.She was very complimentary of them.Very good read

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT