ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden trending for Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if that's how Thornton feels.

Always family regardless. Still love Elliot Williams. K texted with him not too long ago actually. And I know this for a fact, not speculation. I know more about Duke basketball than you'll ever pretend to believe.

This is my one moment of d!$& measuring DI. Sorry for the moment of weakness.

I knew him personally. He loved K and Duke. He got along well with everyone there. But the NBA draft and his family were all that mattered. Hell, he wore a leather jacket with all the NBA team logos on it almost every day.

Luol was a OAD in an era where he was under no obligation to attend college. The mere fact that he arrived on campus despite being rated as the clear #2 player out of high school (behind only Lebron) was a pretty strong endorsement of his genuine desire to play here. The #1, 4, 5, and 14 guys in the RSCI rankings all declared right out of high school and were selected in the first round. If Luol really had no interested in college, he could have done the same. The option was there.

The fact that he cared / thought about the NBA makes him basically indistinguishable from the overwhelming majority of top-end kids we've had come through our program. Reality is that since J-Will, Duke players with top 5-10 draft stocks have basically all declared (with the possibly quibbling exception of McRoberts, who was arguably a late lottery pick). At the time, many of us were surprised when he declared. But, it turns out that he was just a lagging indicator at Duke of something that had been going on for years. And, I'd note that he declared in a year where we also suffered our first NBA defection from a signee (Livingston).

Don't worry about these UK knuckleheads, worry about things like, what number will Bolden wear, how much better our shot blocking and rebounding will be, stuff like that.

Let Markie make his announcement folks. You'll be happy if you root for the right blue.

Reactions: pisgah101
UK needs a skilled big that can be a scoring threat on the block desparately. Bolden wouldn't be a luxury...he's a necessity! He would've been the answer THIS YEAR for UK. Nothing changes next season without Bolden.

You got Jarret Allen. Don't worry.

Luol was a OAD in an era where he was under no obligation to attend college. The mere fact that he arrived on campus despite being rated as the clear #2 player out of high school (behind only Lebron) was a pretty strong endorsement of his genuine desire to play here. The #1, 4, 5, and 14 guys in the RSCI rankings all declared right out of high school and were selected in the first round. If Luol really had no interested in college, he could have done the same. The option was there.

The fact that he cared / thought about the NBA makes him basically indistinguishable from the overwhelming majority of top-end kids we've had come through our program. Reality is that since J-Will, Duke players with top 5-10 draft stocks have basically all declared (with the possibly quibbling exception of McRoberts, who was arguably a late lottery pick). At the time, many of us were surprised when he declared. But, it turns out that he was just a lagging indicator at Duke of something that had been going on for years. And, I'd note that he declared in a year where we also suffered our first NBA defection from a signee (Livingston).

Some people choose the league because of money and fame. One person, Luol Deng, chose the league because of persecution and getting his family out of imminent danger.

First time posting. I read through a lot but have never posted. I've noticed some people that seem to be in the know on here are pretty confident about Bolden for reasons of "inside" knowledge. I know when Barnes decided it was somewhat of a shock. Just curious on what the inside people were saying about that. Was there as much confidence then as it is with Bolden now or is this different?

First time posting. I read through a lot but have never posted. I've noticed some people that seem to be in the know on here are pretty confident about Bolden for reasons of "inside" knowledge. I know when Barnes decided it was somewhat of a shock. Just curious on what the inside people were saying about that. Was there as much confidence then as it is with Bolden now or is this different?

I will say this. I know a guy who gave me info on Barnes. He said the Duke coaches had weight lifting and meal plans set up. Administrators and admissions were also in on it. Harrison didn't just fool a Duke message board, he fooled a university. Except that he is a.) named after Jordan B.) had Dean Smith signed stuff and no K anything C.) his mom had Jordan games tapes before he was born. All signs folks.

Marques loves Jah if that makes you feel better. All this "speculation" is coming from comments in which he said he loves how UK gets bigs to the league. Marques is destined for the NBA regardless of where he goes. Duke*cough*Duke*cough*

Reactions: pisgah101

Yes there was. That's why I never believe a recruit is coming to us until he commits.

Well, let's just sit back and see where he goes; Duke and UK will both move on regardless of the decision

Don't worry about these UK knuckleheads, worry about things like, what number will Bolden wear, how much better our shot blocking and rebounding will be, stuff like that.

Well, Giles #1...Tatum #20...Jackson #15...DeLaurier #42...White #12....and Bolden #0

Barnes was the exception, not the rule. Of course there is a chance that Bolden shocks us and goes to UK, but most of the time the insiders on the board are right WAY more than they are wrong.

Agreed. Though, as DukeHokie indirectly suggested with the Barnes story, there will be kids from time to time who surprise even the coaches. Insiders are only as good as the info. they're getting from the inside. Here, I'm hoping Bolden pulls the trigger soon.

If we're still having this conversation in a few days, then I think there would be reason to calibrate our confidence in this recruitment -- b/c, if it were a done deal, he really would have no reason to wait. The NBA declarations have been made. He's had the in-homes. The key components of Duke's roster are essentially set. The regular signing period has opened. Maybe there's something that's creating a hold up -- but, at this point, I'm not sure what that could be. Unlike last year, where the BI commit was supposedly getting held up by the uncertain PG situation and his concerns about NCAA action against UNC -- I don't think there's really much of anything that could happen in the next few weeks that would substantially change his decisionmaking.

Last edited:
^^^ But what if he's not torn or dragging anything out? What if the plan all along has been to announce at the Jordan Brand Classic this weekend?

I agree that "insiders" typically get their info indirectly from the staff of their team so the information tends to be slanted with their flavor.

That's why I don't claim to be a know it all or anything and just relay what I've heard and let people do what they want with it. The main source I have has been wrong a few times before (Barnes being one of them) but has been right countless times. So I choose to go with this persons opinion bc of their percentage rate of being right.

Always family regardless. Still love Elliot Williams. K texted with him not too long ago actually. And I know this for a fact, not speculation. I know more about Duke basketball than you'll ever pretend to believe.

This is my one moment of d!$& measuring DI. Sorry for the moment of weakness.
And that was mine. Don't want to start crap, especially on another board. Someone had insinuated that Kentucky fans don't consider their players as family and that was insulting.

Reactions: CatPhight
I'd be shocked if anyone knew what a high school kid would do.

I'd say right now, he's going to Duke.

But who really knows? I just wish the best for the kid.

I hate pissing matches. It's not about us fans. If he decides to go to Duke, more power to him. If he comes to UK I'll be happy as ish.

Either way, seems like a great kid. Either program would benefit having him on their team.

RR is like "we got him" lol when they didn't want him for the past week.. Also @Crank_it_loud needs to go over there... They think your pic is of you lol I'm banned or I woulda told them. I'm not sure why you even came up in the thread

Obsession my friend lol

I tried to talk to some of the good guys over there, but then you get the fair weather uk fans like @jrpross acting tough. Ruins it for the real fans.

Obsession my friend lol

I tried to talk to some of the good guys over there, but then you get the fair weather uk fans like @jrpross acting tough. Ruins it for the real fans.
Whatever dude. You were a belligerent dickweed the second you started on our board. I started this thread to have a conversation with you guys and it was fine until you started being a belligerent dickweed to uk fans on this board.

Whatever dude. You were a belligerent dickweed the second you started on our board. I started this thread to have a conversation with you guys and it was fine until you started being a belligerent dickweed to uk fans on this board.
Oh and UK fans aren't belligerent dickweeds to Duke fans on rupp rafterso_O

Reactions: Crank_it_loud

Deng is an amazing human being. I still contend Duke was merely a vessel for him. He played hard and cared, but he needed that pro contract to help his friends and family.

He came to Duke to ensure his recent foot injury wasn't going to prevent him from getting a top 3 pick and because he also valued education. Had he not been injured, he would've gone pro.

And that was mine. Don't want to start crap, especially on another board. Someone had insinuated that Kentucky fans don't consider their players as family and that was insulting.

Someone is me and you quoted my post. Pound sand and begone.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
Show and Dukehokie, thanks for the info! Love when you guys post! Timo and DJ, you guys too!

I didn't state it as fact. I said it was a rumor floating around & was wondering if you guys had heard anything. You know. Like a conversation.
sarcastic19.gif

Funny thing, last night I went out, had some kick ass garlic parmesian wings (always a celebratory occasion), a couple of cold ones and felt totally at peace. Guess I gotta go with Show on this one. What say you dbav?

Reactions: dbav
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT