ADVERTISEMENT

Are you all worried?

Every non Duke fan comes in peace and sooner or later most of them turn troll. The come in peace grpeeting is usually a dead give away. Just saying. I'll hang up and listen. OFC
He’s probably that Kev guy that posts regularly at RR. He’s a moron when he posts over there. Apparently slightly altering his username hasn’t changed anything.

Reactions: skysdad
I’m not trying to be a a**,I was just wanting to know if the Duke faithful were concerned about teams that may play zone defenses when you get in the tournament.Outside shooting seems to be a weakness with this particular team.

I’m sure other teams are starting to take notice and will adjust accordingly.

I thought you were going to hang up and listen. OFC

Hey I’m a fellow Kentucky fan and I come in peace. Just watching the game today,are you worried about when you all get in the tourney better teams playing zone? Syracuse and first half G Tech gave you all much trouble. I’ll hang up and listen

For a fan base that claims to be the “most knowledgeable” you Kentucky fans like to leave out facts. Some of your fan base claims, “Duke is not good, they lost to Gonzaga and Syracuse.” You guys ignore the following facts: 1) Yes, Duke lost to #3 Gonzaga on a neutral court on the 3rd straight day of a holiday 3-day tournament (you know the tournaments that Cal avoids because he does not want his young team to start out the season with 3-4 losses off the bat), Duke played so poorly and still had a chance at the end to win the game. 2) The loss to Syracuse, Duke was in full control of the game until Duke’s most important player Tre Jones got injured (you know the same guy that made your guards look like 4th grade basketball players on November 6th), oh yeah and Cam Reddish another starter did not play in that game (with Tre alone Duke was on pace to blow out Syracuse), also last I checked Syracuse is up there for the lead in the ACC, a conference head and shoulders better than the SEC. By all means though Kentucky fan do not let facts get in the way of fitting your narrative. I know a lot of your fans do not want to play Duke in the tournament. If you do not think this Duke team would love the opportunity to embarrass your team once again on National Television you are in for a rude awakening.

scoring gets hard in the tourney. teams that rely on the 3 usually get beat. We have great inside scoring and solid guard play. All bode well for the tourney.

Reactions: DUKEFEDFAN
https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/...five-is-the-best-in-america-right-now.286163/

KY fans now posting they have the best starting 5 in college basketball.

tenor.gif

DismalSarcasticAbyssiniancat-small.gif

giphy.gif

Ua5.gif

Everyone is laughing.

Even cats:

tenor.gif

Honestly, yes I am. Seems like the blueprint has been laid, and we only have 2 scorers. For the first time in a while our defense is solid.
Not sure if Cam will become more consistent offensively. Free throws don’t concern me, outside shooting does.
Oh Lord, duck!

Uh... this might not be a popular opinion, but I’m not sure we need to be so totally aggressive towards someone just because they are a UK fan. Wait till the guy does something deserving, and then give him both barrels.

And yes, I am slightly worried. The offense has looked a bit two dimensional, and our three point shooting isn’t getting better. Our bench guys are struggling a bit, especially Jack. Cam is back to struggling. I am a bit nervous. Of course, things can straighten out.

Uh... this might not be a popular opinion, but I’m not sure we need to be so totally aggressive towards someone just because they are a UK fan. Wait till the guy does something deserving, and then give him both barrels.

And yes, I am slightly worried. The offense has looked a bit two dimensional, and our three point shooting isn’t getting better. Our bench guys are struggling a bit, especially Jack. Cam is back to struggling. I am a bit nervous. Of course, things can straighten out.
I don’t think our worries are any worse than any other teams (not saying you are saying that either). Every championship team had things their fans worried about during the season. Our 2010 team worried me more than any other championship team. No true PG (Scheyer turned out to be the perfect PG), Zoubek struggled at times, short bench, etc. We always have something to worry about. That’s how CBB goes. We don’t get teams like the Warriors, who still managed to lose to Lebron once.

With this poster, I think it had more to do with his timing right after the KY win, his follow up thread on RR (since deleted by mods at RR), and responses after the OP. He was feeling high bc KY beat a KU team at home that’s not nearly as good as people thought they’d be. They also beat UNC at home and UL. They’re playing relatively good since Duke embarrassed them in November. Duke still has a more impressive resume, a much better starting 5, a coach that is hands down a million times better than theirs, and a much much better board on Rivals. Which makes the context and timing of his post here suspect. It would be no different than if we went to RR after they beat a craptastic Vandy team by 9 with some backhanded question about their weaknesses. The OP thought he was slick. He wasn’t and got called out almost immediately. He then went to RR to report on his thread here and got treated nearly the same. He didn’t have a good night.

Last edited:
That Syracuse game was a loss but that game wasnt a normal loss. Two starters were out and Syracuse shot lights out

I find it interesting that we explain away the Cuse loss because they shot unusually well, while we glory in the UVA win while conveniently ignoring the fact that they had, by a huge margin, their worst 3pt shooting performance of their season. They could have hit two more threes, which still would have been a horrible shooting day for them, and they'd have won by two (excluding that meaningless late 2 pointer that we didn't try to guard).
Why is one statistical outlier of a performance wrt 3pt shooting a justifiable excuse, while a different statistical outlier of a performance wrt 3pt shooting totally ignored? Serious question. Why?

I find it interesting that we explain away the Cuse loss because they shot unusually well, while we glory in the UVA win while conveniently ignoring the fact that they had, by a huge margin, their worst 3pt shooting performance of their season. They could have hit two more threes, which still would have been a horrible shooting day for them, and they'd have won by two (excluding that meaningless late 2 pointer that we didn't try to guard).
Why is one statistical outlier of a performance wrt 3pt shooting a justifiable excuse, while a different statistical outlier of a performance wrt 3pt shooting totally ignored? Serious question. Why?
Tre Jones. For both the Cuse and UVA games.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Lord people have no idea what they’re talking about. Georgia Tech plays an amoeba zone defense, a defense that was ranked in the top 20 before playing against us. Their record is misleading because they had some injured players as well. Remember, they beat Syracuse AT Syracuse with this defense. Hearing people say “this is how you beat Duke!” Well, not many teams play an Amoeba Zone defense and no one has beaten us playing a zone with ALL of our players. It took Syracuse, the best zone defensive team in the country, OT, 3/4 Court halftime shot and shooting out of their minds to beat us down two starters.

Will we struggle against the zone? Sure, most teams do. Heck WE threw a zone at UVA and they struggled. But, that’s assuming Cam, Jack and others will continue to struggle from the outside.

We’re the only team that can win by double-digits and the media discourse turns to “This is the Blueprint to beating Duke.” The Florida State game seems like last season but I didn’t hear anything about our outside shooting that game.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Also just because someone plays zone doesn’t mean you have to rely on outside shots.....Zion/RJ FT line:eek::eek::eek:. Go zone:D

Reactions: Quavarius
Also just because someone plays zone doesn’t mean you have to rely on outside shots.....Zion/RJ FT line:eek::eek::eek:. Go zone:D

Right! Surprisingly, people left that out. We made what 16-Of-19 from the FT line? That’s 84% from the line. Yeah, zone us!

I don’t think our worries are any worse than any other teams (not saying you are saying that either). Every championship team had things their fans worried about during the season. Our 2010 team worried me more than any other championship team. No true PG (Scheyer turned out to be the perfect PG), Zoubek struggled at times, short bench, etc. We always have something to worry about. That’s how CBB goes. We don’t get teams like the Warriors, who still managed to lose to Lebron once.

With this poster, I think it had more to do with his timing right after the KY win, his follow up thread on RR (since deleted by mods at RR), and responses after the OP. He was feeling high bc KY beat a KU team at home that’s not nearly as good as people thought they’d be. They also beat UNC at home and UL. They’re playing relatively good since Duke embarrassed them in November. Duke still has a more impressive resume, a much better starting 5, a coach that is hands down a million times better than theirs, and a much much better board on Rivals. Which makes the context and timing of his post here suspect. It would be no different than if we went to RR after they beat a craptastic Vandy team by 9 with some backhanded question about their weaknesses. The OP thought he was slick. He wasn’t and got called out almost immediately. He then went to RR to report on his thread here and got treated nearly the same. He didn’t have a good night.

That’s possible. I don’t think the majority of responders knew he had posted anywhere else.

Here’s the thing... I hang around Rafters a bit, because they talk about Duke constantly. And they are just so angry, immediately, at any Duke fan posting, that the vast majority of them cannot even have a rational, reasonable discussion about anything basketball. They are just too busy talking trash and getting angry. I feel like we should be above that, you know? And I don’t want to see us just going after rival posters out of knee jerk reaction.

I explain Cuse loss as being down two starters, both of which are our best wing defenders. We had Reddish back against UVA, and switched up our defense and it threw them off. Also, against UVA we only shot 2-14 from deep which, given our average on the season is about two fewer than we'd normally make on 14 attempts. One last thing, we shot an abysmal 18-31 at the line, which is roughly 10% points lower than our average. The UVA game was an exceptionally bad night for both squads shooting, so it sorta evened out.

Reactions: Mac9192
From a Duke-only perspective, UK’s win benefited us much more than a Kansas win would have. In regards to our hunt for the 1 seed......
-Kansas now has 4 losses and is essentially out of the running for a 1 seed (barring them going undefeated the rest of the year which ain’t happening with Big12 road games.) The Big12 will not have a 1 seed.

-There are now 7 teams left (Was 8 before Kansas)...Duke, UVA, Mich, MSU, UT, UK, Gonzaga that can get a 1 seed.
-UT/Uk play twice so they were already gonna battle for that SEC title/1 seed.
-We beat UK by 34, it would take a MASSIVE resume’ advantage for them to ever jump over us.

Okay, final, and the biggest statistical anomaly from the UVA game, they shot an absolutely blistering 69.4% from 2, they only average 53% from 2 on the year and we only allow 44% from 2. So what they lacked in three's they more than made up for in 2's. So there, I explained why exactly we should bathe in such glory :)

Their fans can get as excited as they want, but I believe 100%, they would be much more worried about seeing us in the tournament than we would be in seeing them. Wouldn't bother me one bit to see them in our bracket. I don't think it would be. Anything even close to that 34 point best down that we've already handed them, but I believe it's another double digit win for us.
Coach K is 7-2 against ky, and if we play them again this year, he will be 8-2.

If I were a potential NCAAT opponent w/ a strong zone D, I'd be more worried that Duke will see a zone several more times before that.

Reactions: christophero
Hey I’m a fellow Kentucky fan and I come in peace. Just watching the game today,are you worried about when you all get in the tourney better teams playing zone? Syracuse and first half G Tech gave you all much trouble. I’ll hang up and listen
Hey Kev -- thanks for the post. As you can tell, our board (like RR or THR or anyone else) is always a little suspect of OPs.

Worried about opponents running better zones? Sure. Virginia was tough and Boeheim's teams are well disciplined in zone. In those two we are 1 and 1. So what breaks the zone? Key to beating the zone are movement of the ball, finding the seams in the defense, and making the outside shot. Currently we have 2 of the 3 consistently and the last one is currently iffy. What will matter on our offense is really more about our defense. Since we have high pressure and force a lot of turnovers, a lot of our production is off fast breaks.

I'd flip it around. Would you be worried if we started sinking our 3s?

Good post -- fair question.

After the smoke cleared from repeatedly shooting the messenger I would say it (3 point shooting) is a concern. However I think we can solve it and cut down the nets.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
After the smoke cleared from repeatedly shooting the messenger I would say it (3 point shooting) is a concern. However I think we can solve it and cut down the nets.
Really if we exerted our will inside, we would be extremely hard to beat and we obviously have the bodies to do it. I’m not sure why we don’t do that more often instead of settling for the three. We don’t need to shoot many threes anyway. When it comes to zone, there is always that sweet spot in every zone that can allow you to score. Zion found it against Syracuse and if we had just given him the ball more on the inside, I’m pretty sure we might have still won that game.

Yes since Syracuse we seem to be making an effort to drive more. Coach has made some great adjustments this year.

And to make things worse for the guy, his cousin (wife) probably made him sleep on the couch last night.

Reactions: QC Dukie
The OP wasnt being inflamatory and asked a legit question. I understand the distain for the KY program but he wasnt posting anything that we havent voiced concern over in other threads.

To the OP....yes, concerned. If we happen to have one of these shooting days against a better opponent then we will struggle. However, that said, we found a way to win yesterday and came within a missed FT of winning the Cuse game. This team has the tenacity to find a way to win so while zones will give us issues, the talent and team chemistry we have this year has shown we can overcome poor shooting days. The win and advance scenario of March could be tricky if we do go cold for one game.

Finally
In K we trust...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT