ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fan here… let’s talk realignment

I mean there may be “some discussion” about academics but it has virtually nothing to do with the realignment decisions being made. The ACC panicked and offered the only two PAC schools worth a nickel and I don’t even get the SMU addition.

As for Duke, I’ve said for a while we have to hope we pick it up in football. Elko needs to stick around when he will be pursued by bigger football programs. We need to find ways to fill the stadium. We need to stay competitive. Basketball can only do so much. Hoping for the best.
Again, who makes the ultimate decisions, THE PRESIDENTS. I promise you there are 3-4 Presidents who will value academics pretty high in their decision making process. Guess what? I sit here and promise there is no way Kentucky, West Virginia, or Lousville will EVER get a look by the Big 11 simply because of academics. If there are three in the room who will say no at the start for this reason, you are for the most part sunk.

I know in SEC country, academics outside of "we got Vandy!" Dont matter much, but the academics in the Big 11 is a big source of pride for institutions and fanbases. If Alabama or LSU Showed interest in the Big 11, I promise you it is not even considered.

As for filling Wally Wade. Duke is one of the smallest power 5 schools. Who will fill it? And the fan base is largely not in Carolina. Duke could compete for national championships and conference championships every season, but if there is not a big addition of fans from the opposing team, it will be hard to fill. There is just not as many students and not an overly huge alumni base (as compared to say OSU and Michigan) to draw from.

As most of you are not in Big 11 country, you do not understand the other-worldly college athletics frenzy up here in the midwest. I grew up and currently am in a state (Ohio) where if you are not an Ohio State fan, people are personally offended....

Last edited:
Fff
Again, who makes the ultimate decisions, THE PRESIDENTS. I promise you there are 3-4 Presidents who will value academics pretty high in their decision making process. Guess what? I sit here and promise there is no way Kentucky, West Virginia, or Lousville will EVER get a look by the Big 11 simply because of academics. If there are three in the room who will say no at the start for this reason, you are for the most part sunk.

I know in SEC country, academics outside of "we got Vandy!" Dont matter much, but the academics in the Big 11 is a big source of pride for institutions and fanbases. If Alabama or LSU Showed interest in the Big 11, I promise you it is not even considered.

As for filling Wally Wade. Duke is one of the smallest power 5 schools. Who will fill it? And the fan base is largely not in Carolina. Duke could compete for national championships and conference championships every season, but if there is not a big addition of fans from the opposing team, it will be hard to fill. There is just not as many students and not an overly huge alumni base (as compared to say OSU and Michigan) to draw from.

As most of you are not in Big 11 country, you do not understand the other-worldly college athletics frenzy up here in the midwest. I grew up and currently am in a state (Ohio) where if you are not an Ohio State fan, people are personally offended....
that explains a lot

Presidents have to keep the trustees happy.

President of Georgia? You mean next to Russia? I have no idea who the President of Georgia is. Wasn't Stalin from Georgia?

Reactions: Mac9192
Very few know who the President of Georgia is, but everyone knows who Kirby Smart is.

Let’s stop the academic talk.
Good point. We all know academics have little to do with college football.

They have a source of "academic pride" because that's all they got. That is the excuse of getting their ass kicked by the SEC year in and year out. The athletes going to BIG schools are hardly scholars....😂

Good point. We all know academics have little to do with college football.
Oh I see the problem. You are equating academics and football. I am just pointing out it is the Presidents who make the final say. And if two or three in the room have a huge issue with a team because of academics (like the Big 11 presidents would have with Louisville and West Virginia), it ain’t happening. I am just pointing out when you get a bunch of college Presidents in a room to make a decision, I promise you there will be at least two or three in the room who will take academics into big account. There is not much, imho, difference between Washington and Washington state. Why was it Washington and Washington state not even in the equation for the Big 11? I know the SEC largely does not give a crap on its decisions, but I promise you the Big 11 does. That is why I am steadfast if the Big 11 will go Miami before Florida State. And why I am steadfast Duke will not left in the dark. It is one of the best power 5 academically, a national brand because of basketball (and I would argue really the only national brand in basketball) and our football program, I would argue, has been at least middle of the road the past decade).

We’re going round and round over a sad but simple situation. Academics have NOTHING to do with the power conference realignment. If the ACC can’t make itself look very respectable in football, it will get left behind.

And a President of a university will benefit if their school is great at football.

Do I like the direction sports have gone? No. But other than not watching, there’s nothing I can do about it

Reactions: KDSTONE
We’re going round and round over a sad but simple situation. Academics have NOTHING to do with the power conference realignment. If the ACC can’t make itself look very respectable in football, it will get left behind.

And a President of a university will benefit if their school is great at football.

Do I like the direction sports have gone? No. But other than not watching, there’s nothing I can do about it
My take on that is eventually Duke Unc and Uva may be attractive to the Big 10. I don’t think academics is driving it, but I think all those Big 10 Pres would love to add these schools. I feel bad for Wake Ga Tech They’ll be dropped at the dance floor. I think Nc St will prob wind up in the Big 12 Duke picked a really good time to get good at football

Reactions: Mac9192

Ok. Have you worked in intercollegiate athletics?

Ok. Have you worked in intercollegiate athletics?
Please post your resume so that I know whether or not to read more than the first two words of your ridiculously and pompously long posts. You can do the same, Pis, if you feel like it.
OFC

Reactions: GAAP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT