ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fan here… let’s talk realignment

I can see where Stanford, which dominates non revenue sports and has some history of football success, and SMU, which opens up the Texas market, make sense. I don't see what Berkeley adds unless their science dept. can help their football and basketball teams.

Reactions: Mac9192
And unx makes a statement against expansion. I guess they just don't want to move further down in the academic rankings in the conference.

Their reason was travel costs. Like their athletes don't travel all over the world now. I'm guessing each team will make one western swing. Nice change of weather in November.

I just hope Cal and SMU toughen up their basketball and football programs soon.

welcome to the BCC, the Bi-Coastal Conference or the BCGC, the Bi-Coastal Gulf Conference, or the TCC, the Tri-Coastal Conference

It's all only temporary. We will have two super conferences in a few years and none of this will matter. I miss the early 90's when we had a bunch of 8-10 team conferences though. Actual regional rivalries. It made playing college football and basketball games on SNES more fun in a way too. Anyone here remember NCAA Basketball on SNES? Duke, UNC, Kansas and Texas A&M were the teams to beat. Good times:

looks like State changed its vote. I'm assuming UNX has now officially joined Clemson and Fla. State in the group that would rather join another conference and finish 5th every year. Good riddance.

Stanford and SMU are fine cal to me is blah but whatever.. hopefully it keeps the ACC together another decade

Wish we could kick BC and Cuse out to offset the size

Any info on which of the four ACC schools changed its vote? And why?
OFC
NC State. Because they are run by morons.

All NC State had to do was vote the way the NCGA and BoG told them. Then, when the ACC implodes, the NCGA was going to hold UNC hostage and tell the SEC/B1G "if you want UNC you have to take State too." But State, for whatever reason chose to go against the politicians in Raleigh and ruin that.

So eventually as we get closer to the GoR expiring, the SEC/B1G will steal the valuable ACC schools (valuable in the sense of tv contracts.) So the next ACC contract is going to be awful. All the remaining ACC teams will begin begging the Big 12 for invites. But justice the Pac 12 teams, only a few ACC teams will get invited.

State just went from having the political backing to legitimately get a SEC/B1G invite, to being one of those schools who will beg the Big 12 for an invite.

From a Duke perspective, Duke is highly unlikely to get a SEC/B1G invite bc they are a small private college who doesn't have very good football. But after seeing who the Big 12 just added, I thought for sure Duke was safely a take for the Big 12. Now I'm thinking it will be Duke vs State for that Big 12 invite. They don't need more than 1 school to add the NC footprint, and there is no Duke/State rivalry to make the argument both should stick together and deliver that rivalry to the Big 12.

It's all only temporary. We will have two super conferences in a few years and none of this will matter. I miss the early 90's when we had a bunch of 8-10 team conferences though. Actual regional rivalries. It made playing college football and basketball games on SNES more fun in a way too. Anyone here remember NCAA Basketball on SNES? Duke, UNC, Kansas and Texas A&M were the teams to beat. Good times:
I remember the glitch to make 3s just from inside half court.

We will have two super conferences, you're right about that. But those 2 conferences (B1G, SEC) are only going to add a few ACC teams that are considered valuable by tv companies.

The gulf in yearly tv payouts between the SEC/B1G and the Big 12 will be huge. Any conference besides those 3 will get paid like a midmajor, and their sports will suffer.

And unx makes a statement against expansion. I guess they just don't want to move further down in the academic rankings in the conference.

Their reason was travel costs. Like their athletes don't travel all over the world now. I'm guessing each team will make one western swing. Nice change of weather in November.

I just hope Cal and SMU toughen up their basketball and football programs soon.
It wasn't UNC who made the statement.

It was the Republicans on the UNC BoT, who are appointed by Republicans on the UNC BoG, who are appointed by the Republicans who gerrymandered themselves into power on the NCGA.

The "statement" came from political appointees. The same political appointees who ran UNC Chancellor Folt off bc she listened to students/faculty and removed a Confederate statue.

Politics and cronyism is everywhere in NC. The Republicans who have gerrymandered themselves into power are the same ones who have been launching an assault on education throughout the state. Remember when Jesse Helms (R) called UNC "The University of Negroes and Communists"?

Don't make the mistake of thinking the Republicans or their political appointees have the same views as the Faculty at UNC.

looks like State changed its vote. I'm assuming UNX has now officially joined Clemson and Fla. State in the group that would rather join another conference and finish 5th every year. Good riddance.
Problem is if Carolina leaves that hurts recruiting. They’re on NBC or CBS every time you turn around and Duke is playing Smu on the Accn. The Big 10 and Big 12 are better in both major sports. That gap is likely to grow. Not saying Duke can’t win another title in a perceived inferior conf, Villanova and UConn have done it eight times already. As good as Wash and Usc are in fb this year and if Unc continues to do well the Big members might be cool with Duke joining to balance three new Pac teams out that fb traditions

More frequent flyer miles for the Forks(LOL!)

defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png

I remember the glitch to make 3s just from inside half court.

We will have two super conferences, you're right about that. But those 2 conferences (B1G, SEC) are only going to add a few ACC teams that are considered valuable by tv companies.

The gulf in yearly tv payouts between the SEC/B1G and the Big 12 will be huge. Any conference besides those 3 will get paid like a midmajor, and their sports will suffer.
We should ask ourselves. What changed in the revote? Why did FSU and Clem and the other two change their vote? They received a more favorable exit deal if they agreed to change their vote is the most likely scenario

Stanford and SMU are fine cal to me is blah but whatever.. hopefully it keeps the ACC together another decade

Wish we could kick BC and Cuse out to offset the size

This is the key to me. Keep the league together for a decade and hopefully by then Duke will have established itself as a strong football program. I doubt the landscape will look the same in 10 years. There will be no major sports on cable TV, it will all stream, and the money may not be there as it is now.

The ACC should have been in talks with the Big 12 and blew that one. Hopefully they will do better in the next 10 years. If it's without the Cheaters and Fl State, well we can live without them.

We should ask ourselves. What changed in the revote? Why did FSU and Clem and the other two change their vote? They received a more favorable exit deal if they agreed to change their vote is the most likely scenario
I stand corrected. Just needed 12 to 3 vote. Nc St changed their vote

I played the heck of that college basketball game on the SNES you posted. It actually plays pretty well.

Reactions: BlueBlackNWhite
This is the key to me. Keep the league together for a decade and hopefully by then Duke will have established itself as a strong football program. I doubt the landscape will look the same in 10 years. There will be no major sports on cable TV, it will all stream, and the money may not be there as it is now.

The ACC should have been in talks with the Big 12 and blew that one. Hopefully they will do better in the next 10 years. If it's without the Cheaters and Fl State, well we can live without them.
The Acc took the schools rejected by the three major conferences. This is not a win. This is a move out of desperation that can be argued on both sides, but it’s clear that the schools anyone else wants will be gone soon and it will be debated on every year whether the Acc is a major conference or more like the aac

I played the heck of that college basketball game on the SNES you posted. It actually plays pretty well.
I’m responding to the post you responded to. Two major conferences seems less likely. The Sec and Big 10 only weaken themselves by watering their fb brand down

If we’re being honest: in football, take away Clemson and the ACC has been a mid major conference the past 10 years. Or at least the last of the power 5 conferences. FSU looks to possibly be “back,” but we will see.

As long as schools like Duke, UVA, Louisville, and Syracuse are in the ACC. It will be a major power conference in basketball IMO.

So eventually as we get closer to the GoR expiring, the SEC/B1G will steal the valuable ACC schools (valuable in the sense of tv contracts.) So the next ACC contract is going to be awful. All the remaining ACC teams will begin begging the Big 12 for invites. But justice the Pac 12 teams, only a few ACC teams will get invited.

State just went from having the political backing to legitimately get a SEC/B1G invite, to being one of those schools who will beg the Big 12 for an invite.
When the GOR expires which (ACC) teams will (most likely) be invited to other (P5) conferences? How many for sure?

Congress just passed a bill to rename the Pacific Ocean the "Atlantic Ocean - West", and White Rock Lake in Dallas as "Atlantic Ocean - Landlocked Portion", so it seems to make geographic sense.

Reactions: pisgah101
If we’re being honest: in football, take away Clemson and the ACC has been a mid major conference the past 10 years. Or at least the last of the power 5 conferences. FSU looks to possibly be “back,” but we will see.

As long as schools like Duke, UVA, Louisville, and Syracuse are in the ACC. It will be a major power conference in basketball IMO.
In their defense there’s little the Acc could have done. The Big 10 and Sec are loaded with flagship universities of their tespenstive states. Other than Uva and unc the Acc from a tv perspective is dominated by academic basketball schools who have Vanderbilt sized stadiums with as little tradition as you could possibly. Vt and nc state are exceptions Miami’s joining the acc has done nothing to help its fb program but made the FF last yr.

FSU, Clemson, and UNC voted No.

NC State is the one vote that changed.

Too early to tell. But if you ask @DaveChapelle: SEC and Big10 will roll out the red carpet for UNC and Duke will be lucky to be in a DivisionII conference.

When the GOR expires which (ACC) teams will (most likely) be invited to other (P5) conferences? How many for sure?

Based on all the articles I've read FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA are locks for the B1G/SEC. Obviously Notre Dame gets an invite if they ever want it.

After that, I assume the next ACC tv deal will suck after losing everyone that is deemed "valuable" by the B1G/SEC. So the Big 12 would likely be able to offer more money if they want to expand east. Who do you think they'd target. Louisville and Duke seem likely.

UVA is "coveted" by the SEC/B1G according to ESPN.

Not sure what Cuse offers in basketball anymore. Even Boeheim couldn't keep them competitive most regular seasons lately.

UVA is "coveted" by the SEC/B1G according to ESPN.

Not sure what Cuse offers in basketball anymore. Even Boeheim couldn't keep them competitive most regular seasons lately.
A massive fan base with an arena that still has 35k people there when Duke rolls in town. A huge wealthy alumni base. Syracuse will always be a relevant basketball program IMO.

Last edited:
I would argue a couple things.

1. UVA makes no sense to be highly wanted. The only “market” it plays into is DC. You already have Maryland in the BIG whatever. Is there thought Maryland might jump ship or be gently told “GTFO”? The only way it makes sense is 1. The SEC wants to get into the media market or 2. The SEC or Big whatever wants to placate the Presidents who show big concern about the perception of academics and can take a school with an ok athletic profile.

2. Do not understand Clemson having a seat on the bus for anything. Their athletic profile outside of football sucks and what media market does Clemson get you? Yes they have been recently good in football and bodes well for this culture of “we do not give two craps what you did more than 5 years ago”, but Clemson does not have a particularly noteworthy football profile outside of the last 8 years. Do you really want to throw so much money for a “Johnny come lately” when it is a pure gamble more than most that Clemson will still be elite 10 years from now? Because, again, they gotta take that extra step because all they can claim is the 76th biggest media market (which the SEC already has). Clemson has to leave for the BIG whatever because the SEC is fine in football competition. The BIG whatever really is Michigan and Ohio State, to a lesser degree Penn State, and then not much else.

3. Duke is more attractive then they get credit for. I know football is the main bus, but you cannot deny the list of top watched college basketball games (non tournament) every year is littered with Duke. Duke is arguably one of the three teams nationally who could comfortably be attractive for another conference because of basketball (and I would argue in another generation it would just be Duke and Kansas). Throw in the academics to help alleviate President’s fears in that regard. Then add the fact that Duke is clearly making a commitment to football locking down Elko and spending money on assistants. Finally, the Duke market is National. If you are solely looking at the NC market, Cheats are your bet. Duke is arguably the NJ and NYC markets…

I would argue a couple things.

1. UVA makes no sense to be highly wanted. The only “market” it plays into is DC. You already have Maryland in the BIG whatever. Is there thought Maryland might jump ship or be gently told “GTFO”? The only way it makes sense is 1. The SEC wants to get into the media market or 2. The SEC or Big whatever wants to placate the Presidents who show big concern about the perception of academics and can take a school with an ok athletic profile.

2. Do not understand Clemson having a seat on the bus for anything. Their athletic profile outside of football sucks and what media market does Clemson get you? Yes they have been recently good in football and bodes well for this culture of “we do not give two craps what you did more than 5 years ago”, but Clemson does not have a particularly noteworthy football profile outside of the last 8 years. Do you really want to throw so much money for a “Johnny come lately” when it is a pure gamble more than most that Clemson will still be elite 10 years from now? Because, again, they gotta take that extra step because all they can claim is the 76th biggest media market (which the SEC already has). Clemson has to leave for the BIG whatever because the SEC is fine in football competition. The BIG whatever really is Michigan and Ohio State, to a lesser degree Penn State, and then not much else.

3. Duke is more attractive then they get credit for. I know football is the main bus, but you cannot deny the list of top watched college basketball games (non tournament) every year is littered with Duke. Duke is arguably one of the three teams nationally who could comfortably be attractive for another conference because of basketball (and I would argue in another generation it would just be Duke and Kansas). Throw in the academics to help alleviate President’s fears in that regard. Then add the fact that Duke is clearly making a commitment to football locking down Elko and spending money on assistants. Finally, the Duke market is National. If you are solely looking at the NC market, Cheats are your bet. Duke is arguably the NJ and NYC markets…
Agree 100% on UVA.

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT