ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fan here… let’s talk realignment

As a west coaster it's kind of sad that the entire west coast can't even field a decent league. I live in Washington and people are more into pro sports here.

As quickly as the PAC 12 went down the drain, it shows how things could fall apart quickly for the ACC if one or more of its top football schools find a way to avoid the GOR. From my vantage point as a small town lawyer, I can't see a judge stopping a school from leaving one league and joining another. Such issues seem to have a financial solution. If FSU or Clemson want to leave, and are willing to pay dearly for the privilege, I think they will force the ACC to accept a financial solution.

So what is the goal for Duke? I don’t think the SEC will ever happen. It has to be the BigTen, right? We bring more to the table than Northwestern & Rutgers sports wise, however they have the Chicago & NYC markets for Tv purposes.

If the BigTen doesn’t take us, it seems like the Big12 is going to stay in tact. And that could be a basketball super conference.

Reactions: Liftee
It's getting kind of ridiculous. it seems like there will be 4 superconferences, and they will have a monopoly on the large chunk of the revenue.

I kept advocating for the ACC to do something with the Big 12 due to the basketball strength of the Big 12, but it looks like that league has gone ahead to strengthen itself out of the PAC 12. That leaves the ACC even more out on an island in my opinion. I looks like the "coastal leagues, i.e., PAC 12 and ACC, are the ones that will be raided and left for dead eventually.

The ACC has themselves to blame. Whenever the ACC signed the ESPN/ABC media rights deal (believe it was around 2016) it was a fair deal then. However, our dumba** president (from UNC I believe) locked us into that deal for TWENTY years. And guess what, the rights to put big time college football on television are double what they were valued at in 2016.

I was listening to a podcast and this blew my mind. Rutgers athletics makes 30M more annually than FSU. RUTGERS! In 2030, if FSU were to stay in the ACC, Rutgers would be projected to make 110M more annually than FSU.

If the acc dissolves which looks to be inevitable, I hope we go to the big12 because we can not only compete in basketball but imo in football as well with those teams. The acc like many have said itt only have themselves to blame. All this is going on and our commissioner has done absolutely nothing to improve the conference.

It's getting kind of ridiculous. it seems like there will be 4 superconferences, and they will have a monopoly on the large chunk of the revenue.
We’ve been on the ridiculous side for a while Chris. Greed has been driving the train for years.

The ACC has never been a football conference, and there aren’t many schools that are attractive to the SEC and other few.

Last edited:
Is FSU really that big of a brand? Or are they blowing smoke hoping that the ACC will throw more money at them?

I wouldn't mind seeing them go, except I don't want that to create a precedent for others leaving (except the Cheats who can be shown the door anytime).
Apparently, their tv ratings are on par with the big dogs of the sport despite their mediocrity the past seven or eight years. When you consider that schools like Vandy and Northwestern get way more tv money it’s a no brainer FSU and Clemson bolt if they can pony the buyout and legally maneuver around the grant of rights

The ACC is easily behind the top three conferences now, and I’m worried that their decision to do nothing with and bring in none of the top PAC teams has sealed their fate to that similar of the PAC. The big football teams want out, and I’m sure they’ll find a way sooner rather than later. When that happens, we’ll just have to hold on to our seats and watch what pans out

Reactions: smashmouth5
FSU was ranked 8th in a preseason college football preview I saw at Barnes N Noble. They seem to be back after a long dry spell. I was surprised to see them that high, but they had a decent year last year and have a lot of guys back.

The ACC is easily behind the top three conferences now, and I’m worried that their decision to do nothing with and bring in none of the top PAC teams has sealed their fate to that similar of the PAC. The big football teams want out, and I’m sure they’ll find a way sooner rather than later. When that happens, we’ll just have to hold on to our seats and watch what pans out
Since football is what is driving this, the ACC is fighting an uphill battle. Too many schools that can’t draw flies.

If you were a PAC team, would you go to the ACC or one of the others?

FSU was ranked 8th in a preseason college football preview I saw at Barnes N Noble. They seem to be back after a long dry spell. I was surprised to see them that high, but they had a decent year last year and have a lot of guys back.
Could be really good this year. Football is the driver so a conference needs teams for eyeballs and seats at the table when CFB playoff is talked about. I hate that the ACC now finds itself in a position to be reactive instead of proactive. I know it's easy to tell FSU and Clemson to just go but when they do, I am afraid that is the death nail of the ACC. As a Duke football fan too, I would not enjoy watching them play subpar teams every week if they can't find a spot in what now looks like the big 3.

Reactions: christophero
I like it. Stanford fits well with its strong non revenue sports, and Cal is a large school with at least athletic potential along with being a really superior academic school.

Each year an ACC school would make one trip out west which would be manageable and a nice change. It will be a challenge for the non revenue sports but perhaps several teams could go on the same flight.

This whole realignment debacle is like a monkey humping a football.
monkey madness GIF

Hart, I have a feeling these things are cyclical and eventually when cable TV is a thing of the past, the big money for the mega conferences will dry up and schools will splinter off into more normal conferences. 10 years ago I never would have thought I'd spend 90% of my non-sports TV watching on streaming networks.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Welcome to the Atlantic/Pacific/Texas Coast League. I doubt rumors would got out about SMU, Cal and Stanford unless the talks were serious. Take $150mil from FSU and let them go.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I honestly think we could get all of these schools minus UK (SEC) & IU (BigTen). IU hasn’t been good in 20 years though minus a season or 2. Xavier & Creighton we could get.
Hopefully this doesn’t happen but if it did, it’s all she wrote for Duke as a power athletic program.

Reactions: smashmouth5
ND is reportedly pushing hard for Cal and Stanford to be accepted into the ACC. Pretty rich coming from the school who refuses to join the ACC in football, yet they care enough to want to bring more football revenue to the conference

Reactions: Liftee
Not sure what's happened to Stanford and Cal athletics. 20 years ago they were both very competitive in football and basketball. Aaron Rodgers took Cal to the Rose Bowl and they had a string of great RBs like Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett. Mongomery took Stanford to a Final Four and they were consistently in the top 20.

Last edited:
It's hard to predict how a school's teams are going to be 5-10 years down the road. There was a time in the not too distant past that BC was strong in football and decent in basketball. Now they are below mediocre.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT