ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VA TECH ACC FINALS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Nobody is scared to play Duke next week.

Just run ball screens and watch Mark Williams switch into the opponents PG or best shooter.

Everyone is doing it to them now and we have zero answer for it. I’m not even sure K can coach it to be honest….his defensive scheme sucks.
Yeah I mean this is pretty much the blueprint. Or Paolo on the switch. We’ve won 28 games so I’m thankful for the job they’ve done and every team has its issues (Baylor, Kentucky, etc) but damn come up with an alternate defensive scheme when switching 1-5 doesn’t work and you can’t run a zone against a hot shooting team. It’s this scheme in my opinion that resulted in our last few losses and it demoralizes the team. I’m actually surprised we got by Miami now that I think about it.

Will be rooting hard for the GOAT next week either way. LFG

I agree, but if you recruit and start 3 freshman, what do you expect?
Do we refuse to recruit the best talent though? I think we need to blend it better with older transfers. Though then you're still trying to create chemistry with a group that hasn't been together long. I think Roach picking up the 3 fouls hurt the team. Trevor had a terrible ACC tourney too. So, that didn't help. Hopefully we work it out before Thursday or Friday. Because this team could be going out early if not. I still think the best can happen, but I am less inclined to believe it will now after this week.

Defense has been utterly atrocious. What’s with sending 2 guys to the defensive boards and having a 2v2 battle with the other team? Giving up 13 offensive rebounds to a team like that given our size is shocking and inexcusable. Also their defensive rotations and switching have been worse than my local high schools. The amount of times that they dribbled up tonight, set a ball screen for Murphy and got Mark guarding him and Roach or Keels switching onto Aluma was embarrassing. At that point they’ve got 20 seconds on the shot clock and our defense at their mercy. Saw no effort to get around the screens. Was exactly how UNC picked us apart.

That’s just because the NBA camp is around the corner. One other note ,” K checked out after the Jalen Johnson show!”
Doesn’t help much when NBS scouts are at every duke game getting interviewed on tv about players’ rankings

First off, congratulations to VT. They were the better team tonight. Here’s our problem, we don’t have a bench. We can only play 6 guys because K plays man to man. Should K make adjustments? Baker has hardly improved over 4 years. A great kid, but can’t guard a cookie jar, and Theo, when he’s in, is good for at least 2 quick fouls.
Keels is just an ok freshmen. He should come back next season and be a really good sophomore. In the last 2 games he’s went 2-14, while playing almost the entire game.
This is why I have very low faith that we will make a deep run. You need a blend of good experience with the freshmen stars. In (good) veteran experience, all we have is Moore.

And that brings up the bigger issue. For as good as we are every season, with the teams K gets, there’s always a few really good teams out there that have more experience than we do. And one of them will win it all, while we prepare to shuffle the next batch of oad’s in as the others are leaving.

Are we truly contenders every season, or is it too much hype? We get one more chance with K. But, as most of our seasons have gone, the confidence meter goes down as we get into the tournament.

The one and done model gets us what it gets us. No defense, no continuity. When I see Tatum score 50 in a game I say great, but I just see second round exit.
I usually like all the guys we recruit. Tatum included, but I see what you're saying. I do like that team because of what they did in the ACC tourney. And they got the worst draw getting South Carolina in what was basically a home game for them.

At a certain point the staff need to realize these 18 year olds cannot play this defense. They get paid millions. It's not that hard. Make an adjustment.
K doesn’t make adjustments anymore. I’m excited to see Scheyer and something new hopefully. I’m excited to see some coaching…It’s been painfully obvious for some years but that pisses off a lot of people to say it.

March Duke has been a much lesser version of November Duke for a long time now. We don’t develop as a team.

I usually like all the guys we recruit. Tatum included, but I see what you're saying. I do like that team because of what they did in the ACC tourney. And they got the worst draw getting South Carolina in what was basically a home game for them.
Comon we still should have won that game. I hear all the excuses; home crowd, Carter should have been a block; Grayson rimming out. RR is constantly joking that we peak in November; how bout we change that narrative?

no excuse that SC team shouldnt of been even close to what we supposedly had in talent.. but once again no adjustment

K doesn’t make adjustments anymore. I’m excited to see Scheyer and something new hopefully. I’m excited to see some coaching…It’s been painfully obvious for some years but that pisses off a lot of people to say it.

March Duke has been a much lesser version of November Duke for a long time now. We don’t develop as a team.

they act like they worship k… really strange.

Crazy how we beat Kentucky and Gonzaga this season. Seems like those teams have made such strides this year while it’s March and we find ourselves worse than we were then. Barely managing to beat Syracuse and Miami and then getting outplayed at every level by VT after getting embarrassed by UNC at home just shows the true heart of this team. How they still seem to lack effort is sad to see and it starts with Moore. I’m sure we all know what play I’m talking about but a Duke captain who stands there watching his opponent dive and win the ball in front of him just isn’t good enough. Hope they can muster up some motivation for the big dance but I don’t see a big run happening.

Here is a crazy painfully obvious thing…

We are a better team with Roach running PG than Keels….I can’t even understand why Keels starts and runs our offense.

Reactions: KDSTONE and vcugreg
Comon we still should have won that game. I hear all the excuses; home crowd, Carter should have been a block; Grayson rimming out. RR is constantly joking that we peak in November; how bout we change that narrative?
It was a block...and the ball did rim out. We're one play away from back to back final fours in '18 and '19.

no excuse that SC team shouldnt of been even close to what we supposedly had in talent.. but once again no adjustment
Same South Carolina team that was a hair away from playing Carolina in the championship game? They had a damn good team that year. But we all forget that. I'm ready for next year when you all complain about Jon. It's ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: pisgah101
That's not good enough. Kentucky was one shot away from a FF in 90; who cares?
Our coaches make final four money; they should be held accountable if they don't reach that in 7 years.

That's not good enough. Kentucky was one shot away from a FF in 91; who cares?
'92. My point is we were that close in back to back seasons and largely most of this talk isn't happening if we make both of those final fours. We had a good year in '19-'20 and would've made a run, but covid snuffed that out. The team was turning the corner and we were robbed of seeing what they could do. The memories here are really short anymore. I'm not trying to start an argument, but we're all upset about these last two Saturday night games and I get that.

Reactions: christophero
I hear you. We're all upset. All is not lost. We can still make a run. That 19-20 team had issues though. Not sure we would have gone past sweet 16.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Still hope. Sorry if I was a **** I'm just venting. We can make a run.
No worries dude. We're good. This is it for K. We're all fans who want to see our team go out on top, especially for K in this last year. The end is nigh and what is on the horizon looks pretty bleak. The hope has all but faded into the distance. Let's hope there's one last run in this group.

Are we still a 2? Or a 3? Reach the sweet 16 and anything is possible. if we remain a 2 we are lucky.

I haven't seen anything yet. I think we're probably the last 2 seed. Top 3 seed at worst. Hopefully the last 2 and not a 3 seed.

Reactions: christophero
Dropped from 12th in KenPom defense to 44th in less than two weeks. I don't get what happened there.

Same South Carolina team that was a hair away from playing Carolina in the championship game? They had a damn good team that year. But we all forget that. I'm ready for next year when you all complain about Jon. It's ridiculous.
I will be complaining about him if he doesn’t coach

Reactions: KDSTONE
He's not getting paid millions. The "like you could coach this team better" is kind of missing the point.

I don't think it needs to be all or nothing. Calling out the coaches for losing to a clearly inferior opponent, well that's the Duke standard isn't it? Or are we okay with being mediocre? Duke coaches seem unable to make adjustments; there is a stubbornness there that is keeping us from our potential. Who is going to question this? If not us?

It was a bad loss. We will probably drop to a 3 seed but we can still make the final four. We have a fresh start this next week.

And duke still peaked In November like always
You're the worst kind of fan. I guess every other team that didn't make it to the final four peaked in November too, huh? We're so ****ing spoiled as a fan base. Reality is going to hit hard when K is gone. I hate it for Jon because our fan base will be relentless and never give him a chance either. Can't wait to read all the couch coaches posts in the game day threads next season. Should be fun.

Last edited:
You're the worst kind of fan. I guess every other team that didn't make it to the final four peaked in November too, huh? We're so ****ing spoiled as a fan base. Reality is going to hit hard when K is gone. I hate it for Jon because our fan base will be relentless and never give him a chance either. Can't wait to read all the couch coaches posts in the game day threads next season. Should be fun.
You absolutely can’t be serious, this team among others in the past few seasons peaked in November. As this season went on the defense got worse and guess what? 0 adjustments made. Struggled with a mediocre cuse team, average Miami team, and got there azz kicked tonight by a bunch of wofford transfers. Oh and last week got there azz kicked at home but a DOWN unc team. Miss me with this soiled fan bullchit, we beat the zags and uk earlier this year, both would throttle this team right now. Spoiled fan gtfo

Stopped by at Halftime, thread was quite pessimistic. Alot of frustration post-game. Encountered Duke Bball threads elsewhere and saw similiar posts.

I do remember similiar vibe in 2015. The dismissal of Sulaimon.

Fans myself included seem ready for a different approach. Let's be honest and agree that will likely push our drought to a Decade. The fan base will shrink, the Postseason loses will be more difficult to stomach but the Banners will feel even sweeter. I promise you that my friends.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT