ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VA TECH ACC FINALS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

No worries dude. We're good. This is it for K. We're all fans who want to see our team go out on top, especially for K in this last year. The end is nigh and what is on the horizon looks pretty bleak. The hope has all but faded into the distance. Let's hope there's one last run in this group.
Like that Band of Horses song: The End’s not Near, It’s Here

Kept waiting for 2-2-1 to at least change pace a little bit but never came.
It never does. That’s the problem. Easy to prepare for. What’s funny is that fb coaches who never make in game adjustments might not last the year, but in basketball I guess you can always pray that the other team misses wide open shots

I’d like to agree with you, and do hope we “find” it. However, we seem to have a tendency of looking like world beaters in November/December. The other teams seem to be working out their kinks, and then by January/February many of them start hitting their stride, while we have at least one key player that has hit a wall. Right now, that player is Keels. The problem is our bench has dwindled, and when someone like Baker is in, we all pray he hits a shot, or doesn’t get abused. He has one opportunity every game, and in the few minutes he’s in, if he isn’t productive, it’s back to the pine for the remainder of the game.

It also looks as if other teams have had time to prepare and plan for us, and know our weaknesses. And expose those weaknesses they do.
Vt played 3 games in the Tournament before they stomped us and looked fresher than we did at the end of the game. Duke has the same opportunities to prepare and certainly is not at a disadvantage there. VT had less time to prepare for us than we did to prepare for them. Kind of funny that our McDonalds AA's could not stay in front of Storm Murphy.

OFC

Some take it too far but you’ve gotta admit we’re not getting better from Nov to Mar; other teams are which is why we’re getting dominated by teams like UNC and VPI
Won’t complain about John he doesn’t have forty seven years as a head coach .

Reactions: pisgah101
Not trying to hate or belabor the point but for those that care, Williams was lit up for 16 points in the first half (only 2 of those points were 1-on-1 plays, the rest were switches) and 5 in the second. Played 19 minutes total. Interestingly, 14 of those 21 were when Wendell was on the switch. Very obvious VT saw something between these two when they were game-planning. If we continue to switch everything moving forward I'm hoping either Wendell is really communicating this stuff better or Mark figures it out. Mark had an insane +/- going into February.

Reactions: geddoughton23
I hear you Friction, and I agree, like most here, we need a defensive adjustment, although I think it's pretty unlikely knowing K's pattern. One thing I will point out, Cattoor was on another level on Saturday. He hit multiple long range 3's over the outstretched arms of Williams. They seemed to get sillier and sillier later in the game. Props to the young man, but it's pretty unlikely he shoots like that anytime again soon.

So true Chris. We've seen very few of those extended Duke runs that we have grown accustom in the past. I kept waiting for it to happen midway thru the second half on Saturday. It just didn't happen, and it has not happened often this year.

The hope is these guys come out with a renewed sense of focus and a chip on the shoulder with everyone doubting them. And I am one of the doubters. I hope to be proven wrong. The analytics of late tell a different tale though. Being 206th in defense for the month of March is scary bad. I don't know how we shore it up in less than a week. Fingers crossed that we do though. Because the defense was what the team was hanging their hat on for quite a stretch there before the bottom fell out.

Reactions: christophero
Friction, the poster above, is correct. Switching on all screens is not going to work. It's too late to learn. Duke will have to give up some outside shots, but the easy drives to the basket have to stop.

Duke plays an excellent zone. They should play zone on at least 25% of possessions. If an opponent is on fire, such as Catoor, play some box and one

Friction, the poster above, is correct. Switching on all screens is not going to work. It's too late to learn. Duke will have to give up some outside shots, but the easy drives to the basket have to stop.

Duke plays an excellent zone. They should play zone on at least 25% of possessions. If an opponent is on fire, such as Catoor, play some box and one
I don't disagree with this take at all. Time to switch it up. What can it hurt at this point?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT