ADVERTISEMENT

1st. Duke basketball player you remember.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Mine is Art Heyman. I was only about 8 years old and Duke or anyone else did not play a whole lot on television but I knew who Heyman was and knew he was really good. After Heyman I remember Mullins,Marin and Verga. OFC

Last edited:
1st favorite was Alarie. Watched a replay of that 84-85 team recently. Man was Dawkins quick. If Bilas was 2 inches taller, they might have gone back to back kn 85 and 86.

One of the most underrated backcourts in Duke and college hoops history, Bob Verga and Steve Vacendak! Verga of course was a lights out shooter/scorer, but Vacendak was Wojo before Wojo. Scrappy, defensive ace, playmaker, etc...

I do not actually remember seeing Heyman and/or Mullins play live, but remember my dad and older brother talking about them and their heroics! Watching them on tape has been a thrill! OFC

Last edited:
Mine is Art Heyman. I was only about 8 years old and Duke or anyone else did not play a whole lot on television but I knew who Heyman was and knew he was really good. After Heyman I remember Mullins,Marin and Verga. OFC
Art Heyman is my earliest memory also. Marin and Verga I too saw in person, although I saw Verga more when I started covering sports for the paper, he was playing for the cougars then. I was out of the country for Vergas last 2 years at Duke. He was a really good player for the Cougars . You can see the players better when sitting on the floor under the basket than sitting high up in the stands. Sometimes better than you want ..

Heyman for me too. Along with Mullins, Tison, and Buckley. It was right around the time in High School when I was considering where I would go to college.
OFC

Heyman for you too huh. Like I said I was only about 10 but knew he was special. I wish I had seen more coverage of him. What a fit he would be for Coach K. He seems like he had some Laettner, Hurley, Singler and Allen in him. If he was on this years team I can only imagine the hate the cheater fans would have for him. OFC

One of the most underrated backcourts in Duke and college hoops history, Bob Verga and Steve Vacendak! Verga of course was a lights out shooter/scorer, but Vacendak was Wojo before Wojo. Scrappy, defensive ace, playmaker, etc...

I do not actually remember seeing Heyman and/or Mullins play live, but remember my dad and older brother talking about them and their heroics! Watching them on tape has been a thrill! OFC
Where did u get tape on them?

Art Heyman best that I remember he had a little bit of a temper he played hard & was a very good player.

Reactions: skysdad
Where did u get tape on them?

I see its much more limited on youtube now. However for Heyman there's a site "Jewish Basketball Players HOF," (shows Art driving and scoring down the lane) and gives a website for more info.....Theres also an ACC FEATURE on YT, and several shots of Art scoring are shown. The tape on Mullins is his pro career:

OFC

Last edited:
I see its much more limited on youtube now. However for Heyman there's a site "Jewish Basketball Players HOF," (shows Art driving and scoring down the lane) and gives a website for more info.....Theres also an ACC FEATURE on YT, and seveal shots of Art scoring are shown. The tape on Mullins is his pro career:

OFC
Thanks looking fo Verga tapes.U had any luck there

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT