ADVERTISEMENT

1st. Duke basketball player you remember.

Willie was along with George Moses who was in his mid to late 20's I believe because he was a veteran. OFC

Just a note about Moses he was only six five but averaged close to a double double one season and had a high shooting per centage from the field. He was an older guy and was a stud underneath. Saw him, Hodge and Fleisher play right much because tickets were available. I think maybe Spanarkel and Armstrong were like freshman on that team. Also a note on Fleisher his stats are for only 3 years. I wonder if his class was the last before freshman were allowed to play. OFC

Reactions: topps coach
I saw a video of Duke dunks and Brickey had some awesome ones. He's got to be one of the most underated Duke players ever and he was versitle. I think he actually played the # 5 position for a while. OFC
Last time I heard he was an assistant coach at I think the Naval Academy.Bet K gives him some grief about that

Last edited:
Reactions: Showenuff
Just a note about Moses he was only six five but averaged close to a double double one season and had a high shooting per centage from the field. He was an older guy and was a stud underneath. Saw him, Hodge and Fleisher play right much because tickets were available. I think maybe Spanarkel and Armstrong were like freshman on that team. Also a note on Fleisher his stats are for only 3 years. I wonder if his class was the last before freshman were allowed to play. OFC
Most of the players in this thread only played three years.Their were not as many games as well.Verga for example only played 81 games as opposed to JJ over 130.To compare that eras numbers to today’s player is certainly not apples to apples

Johnny Dawkins

Jan 4, 1986 @ Cole Farmhouse Johnny goes for 24/4, Bias Drops 28 Mono y Mono. Duke wins 80-68. My first game surrounded by the oooze that is College Prick. It was Magical.. Especially when the brought local product Ferry in (Dematha) and the Twerps gave it to him, only for him to run off like 8 straight and stuff someone at the rim.. That is the day this Devil was born, I was 10.

I don't have one particular first player I remember, but Amaker, Alarie and Dawkins seem to jump out as my earliest Duke memories.

Oddly enough, I vividly remember Kevin Strickland being my first favorite Duke player.

The first player I remember, and probably the reason I became a Duke fan initially (before I had a personal connection with the University as a student and an employee) was Gene Banks.

Upon Coach K's arrival at Duke his assistant coach was Chuck Swenson. Chuck Swenson - and his gorgeous wife became part of our Church - Blacknall Presbyterian Church just off Duke Campus. And yes, I had a crush on his wife - I was only 10.

At that time my father, who had gone to UNC and taught there as a guest professor in Journalism was the Sports Editor for The Durham Morning Sun. All my family were UNC fans. But here I was because of Chuck becoming a family friend, and because of my father's job I was going to Duke games. Got to meet the team and had the biggest impression left on my 10 year old self, by Gene Banks.

Interestingly enough my Church and father's job led me to meet many Duke athletes and further steep myself as a Duke fan. In maybe 81 or 82, Mark Millitello (Duke WR) took me out for lunch one day when my father was in the hospital from having one of the first ever Angioplasty procedures at Duke Med Center - in those days kids could not visit that area of the Med Center.

Sky, Fleisher was a senior on the '74-'75 Duke team. Interestingly freshman played that same season. It was Ford's first year at UNC....OFC

Reactions: Liftee and skysdad
Sky, Fleisher was a senior on the '74-'75 Duke team. Interestingly freshman played that same season. It was Ford's first year at UNC....OFC

Yes I do remember freshman became eligible during ford's freshman year. OFC

I don't have one particular first player I remember, but Amaker, Alarie and Dawkins seem to jump out as my earliest Duke memories.

Oddly enough, I vividly remember Kevin Strickland being my first favorite Duke player.
Kevin had a older brother that was really good and played in a few pickup games at Duke

I was at Duke from 71-75, the same years as Fleischer. Spanarkel came two years later I think after I was gone. It was a great time to be at Duke basketball wise even if Duke was mediocre. The ACC was loaded every year. Except for the State, Maryland and UNX games, you could walk in shortly before tip off and get a decent seat. I doubt I missed a game in 4 years. Luckily Duke was competitive at home so the games were usually competitive (except when Thompson was on State,that was an impossible team).

Doug Kistler, Carroll Youngkin, Howard Hurt and John Frye were classmates, played in 1959 for Harold Bradley's last Duke team and led Vic Bubas' first Duke team to the 1960 ACC Tournament title and Duke's first two wins in the NCAA Tournament. I was about nine when these guys started showing up on my black and white TV screen and I was old enough to retain some understanding of what was going on.

Yes I do remember freshman became eligible during ford's freshman year. OFC

Freshmen became eligible for the 1972-'73 season. Ford was a freshman in the 1974-'75 season.

Willie Hodge, Paul Fox, Terry Chili and Dave O'Connell-Alex's father-were Duke's key freshmen that season. John Lucas was the ACC's best freshman that season.

I've long said that the Fleischer, Billerman, Kramer, Bill Suk class had the most interesting journey in Duke hoops history, except for perhaps the WWII years. Last freshman team in 1972. Sophomores in 1973, Waters' last season. Juniors in 1974, Neil McGeachy's only season as head coach. Seniors in 1975, Foster's first season at Duke. Three head coaches in three varsity seasons. Lots of firsts and lasts.

Reactions: skysdad
David Henderson drove a school bus. I don't recall Brickey being a bus driver. Perhaps he was. Brickey competed near the basket, but it was tough for him because he was 6'5" and had a very high center of gravity. He was too easily pushed away from the basket

David Henderson drove a school bus. I don't recall Brickey being a bus driver. Perhaps he was. Brickey competed near the basket, but it was tough for him because he was 6'5" and had a very high center of gravity. He was too easily pushed away from the basket
Thanks for the correction it was Henderson that drove the bus. OFC kicking in lol. I remember seeing Ged Doughton play for RJR in high school. I didn't realize he wore the number 23 at UNC before Jordon.

Last edited:
Freshmen became eligible for the 1972-'73 season. Ford was a freshman in the 1974-'75 season.

Willie Hodge, Paul Fox, Terry Chili and Dave O'Connell-Alex's father-were Duke's key freshmen that season. John Lucas was the ACC's best freshman that season.

I've long said that the Fleischer, Billerman, Kramer, Bill Suk class had the most interesting journey in Duke hoops history, except for perhaps the WWII years. Last freshman team in 1972. Sophomores in 1973, Waters' last season. Juniors in 1974, Neil McGeachy's only season as head coach. Seniors in 1975, Foster's first season at Duke. Three head coaches in threeC
Gym

Fleischer was a hard worker who averaged a double double in his last two seasons.Billerman was pretty much a self-made pg who likewise worked hard, but probably fell a little shy of true ACC caliber pgs.
=Suk and Kramer both had their moments.
Unfortunately two unforgettable moments came in same season to UNC '74. Fox had the poor execution of errant pass attempted cross court intercepted by Bobby Jones and turned
into a game winning hoop at Cameron. Kramer hits that front end of one vs Unc with 4 seconds on clock at Carmichael I think WE SUVIVE, but Pete missed. Rest was history. OFC

Post like this is why you are so valueable to our board Jim. No one can begin to come close to your knowledge of Duke sports. Some of us may know a few things but overtime especially for me they become vagueandI forget some of the actual facts. I think a lot of us would like to see more of you both on the DI and Brotherhood boards. OFC

Brickey was my roommate at Prep Stars an invitational camp Dick Devinzio used to run before Nike and others took over the summer scene. Robert was one of the nicest dudes ever and the most athletic player I’ve been on the floor with a wonderful combination of talent and humility.

Fred Lind's big game was in 1968. Mike Lewis was in foul trouble for most of the game and eventually fouled out. Lind recently retired from his position of public defender in Guilford County. If you Google his name, you can listen to his interview on WUNC describing that game and his career

First memory of Duke was with Heyman. Really started watching off and on when Spanarkel came on the scene, and became a "die hard" Duke fan when Johnny Dawkins and the "Class that saved Coach K" arrived!
I've been "all in" with Duke since then and have never been shy about telling anyone.
My heart was never in San Francisco, but it sure resides in Durham!!

Go Duke!
OFC

Post like this is why you are so valueable to our board Jim. No one can begin to come close to your knowledge of Duke sports. Some of us may know a few things but overtime especially for me they become vagueandI forget some of the actual facts. I think a lot of us would like to see more of you both on the DI and Brotherhood boards. OFC

Much obliged.

Chris Duhon. First duke game I ever really watched was the UCONN final four and I have that half court 3 etched in my memory, only thing I remember from that game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT