ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs UNC

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
ITS RIVALRY TIME BABY!!! Game time 630 on ESPN. At time of writing we are favored by 3 points.

The battle of the blues. Both teams come in tied for 6th place in the ACC. We are riding high on a two game win streak while the holes are coming in having lost to our man Jeff capel. Duke is undefeated at home and Carolina (like us) struggle on the road with a 2-4 record. The holes are coached by Hubert “cackles” Davis in his second year at the helm who without a miraculous NCAA tourney has been underwhelming in his time at Carolina with an “old” team. Prior to head coach cackles was an assistant at uNC and prior to that an ESPN homer analyst. The coaching staff also features former Carolina star Sean May who I heard once put a chapel hill Golden Corral, cookout, and bojangles out of business in the same day.

We will have our work cut out for us and I’m really torn on what to predict here.. we’ve played solid as of late and shown progress but we still let teams back in and when you do that eventually you get bit. Carolina hasn’t been impressive either.. and as individuals you would think this team was unstoppable but they clearly aren’t.., but they may have a coming out party as they did last year. The game while exciting feels way down compared to years past but we need to make a statement and this is the game to do so. It would really say something (to me at least) if we are able to finish the season higher then Carolina in the ACC standings .. with that said-

Duke- 77
Carolina-69

LETS GO DUKE

Trying to be optimistic!

I would have been pretty pessimistic a few weeks ago but I now think that there is hope. Duke's young guys seem to be growing in to their own after a slow learning curve and the Cheats seem to be the same as they were before last year's miracle run. A run that kept Davis off the hot seat. I am hoping that Whitehead suits up for this one, but I have not read anything yet. Gameday decision?

I am going with Duke in a close victory.

Reactions: hart2chesson
There is hope , but the last few seasons says Holes actually hustle, play hard, and steal the victory. Can’t count on them to lay down like against other teams.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Duke 74-70
This team is improving and confidence is growing. UNC doesn’t have Wolf Boy, which I think was the key to their run last year.

My heart obviously says Duke, but my head says the Cheats. I have this bad feeling they will win handily.

Here's my thinking FWIW: They return generally the same team, plus the Cheaters always seem to play well @ Cameron. We don't have near the sheer talent of last year IMO, and yet they still managed to win 2 out of 3.

Chapel Hill College has not played up to expectations
this year, but finds their groove today: 88-70 Cheats....

OFC

My heart obviously says Duke, but my head says the Cheats. I have this bad feeling they will win handily.

Here's my thinking FWIW: They return generally the same team, plus the Cheaters always seem to play well @ Cameron. We don't have near the sheer talent of last year IMO, and yet they still managed to win 2 out of 3.

Chapel Hill College has not played up to expectations
this year, but finds their groove today: 88-70 Cheats....

OFC
Talent is thrown out the window on bitter rivalries…

And use last year at your own risk. There most likely never has been and never will be a similar situation where all there was as wide of a gap where absolutely complete pressure vs absolutely no pressure ever exist.

Reactions: dukesince91
Trying to predict these games is almost worthless. I am, however, expecting some random player on either side to go off and annoy the shit out of the other team

My alma mater lost its rivalry game yesterday. Bodes well for today. Bad Fridays usually equal good Saturdays…
I hope your logic is much more sound sir. Anyone who knows me, knows there has never been a more rabid Duke fan, (over 55 years!!). I am not doing this at my "own risk, " I am simply making a prediction on Pisgah's GameDay Thread. We're all friends here with the same common goal: Pulling for Duke!!!

Never heard the "Bad Friday's usually equal good Saturdays." I sure hope you're right. OFC

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how average the holes have been so far. I have been wrong about them, but I’m not complaining. I keep waiting for them to wake up, and my concern is a trip inside Cameron is the medicine for them.

I hope and pray our boys come out with fire in their eyes, and beat the ever living piss out of cackles and his crew. After the circus K allowed last season, that imo helped catapult them, a win by Duke will go a long way for the good guys this season.

Last edited:
Duke 68
Cheats 80

Dukes bigs in foul trouble in 1st half, and early 2nd half.

Lots of foul trouble for our bigs. I don’t think it will be close. We will have a five minute scoring drought at some point.

UNC by 15+

Lots of foul trouble for our bigs. I don’t think it will be close. We will have a five minute scoring drought at some point.

UNC by 15+
Wrong! Forks W by 1+ over Rams &
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

I share similar concerns as others. I worry UNC has too much experience. I also think it’s unlikely that UNC shoots 18% from three. And I think Bacot will have his way inside all day long. Duke guards need to have very solid games and I think we need to shoot a decent percentage from three to be in the game.

With that said I like the way we have been trending, even tho we have not closed out well. I’m not gonna pick against Duke, and I am hopeful we find a way to scrap out a win.

Duke 74
UNC 72

Reactions: christophero
Not really sure what to expect today. If Lively picks up 2 quick fouls that is a bad sign. Guys like Young and Grandison need to show up and lead today. Roach needs to not play like he is intimidated. Proctor needs to continue his recent low turnover play. I think either team is capable of winning this game. We are much better at home, so I'm going with Duke. Nothing will erase the sting of last year, but this would be a nice step in the right direction and Jon's biggest win. SOLTTG! (Sick of losing to these guys)

How in the world did UNC fans get an entire section in Cameron for game day ?
WTF

Duke has a chance to
1. push them very close to the bubble
2. Save their season.
Please be #1
This game doesn't seem to be as big this year. No K, no Roy, both teams slightly down. Doesn't seem the same. Obviously it's still big to us. But I don't think the rest of the country cares much.

Last edited:
How in the world did UNC fans get an entire section in Cameron for game day ?
WTF

Is this confirmed. What section. Cameron is usually sold out mainly because of season ticket holders. It has to be right behind the cheater u bench. I gurantee Duke fans will not get a section in the nose dome even if any wanted go to that stink hole of a place anyway. OFC

Been a while since we beat them so hoping the averages are in our favor to do so today. No idea which team shows up...after last years team didnt in these games. Hopefully home gym pride is the deciding factor and its a win for the good guys

Someone on DBR mentioned that the team with more heart will win. I agree. We seem evenly matched on paper. We cannot allow them to outhustle us. Definitely a measuring stick game for our team.

Is this confirmed. What section. Cameron is usually sold out mainly because of season ticket holders. It has to be right behind the cheater u bench. I gurantee Duke fans will not get a section in the nose dome even if any wanted go to that stink hole of a place anyway. OFC
It's for Gameday, Sky. Not for the game tonight.

Can you stay off the thread today, for real? We play better when you don’t post….
Or maybe it's because he only consistently posts when we're playing badly? Honestly, I bet he's too busy with his book tour and teaching other coaches how to be better to post all that often in winning game threads. I am almost certain he figures his expansive knowledge is only needed in those losing threads.

Or maybe it's because he only consistently posts when we're playing badly? Honestly, I bet he's too busy with his book tour and teaching other coaches how to be better to post all that often in winning game threads. I am almost certain he figures his expansive knowledge is only needed in those losing threads.
Oh I agree, I’m just trying to get ahead of it either way lol

I don't mind negative opinions. He goes a little overboard, but whether we point out positive or negative things it has no outcome on the game. Both could come true tonight. My 2 keys are Roach playing his A game and Lively staying out of foul trouble.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT