ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread (1/21) Duke vs Miami

I also think Lively should start, provided he doesn’t get 2 fouls in the first 2 minutes. One positive for this roster is him and Young are completely different types of bigs. We’re gonna need Young to battle bigs like Bacot.

But when you’re playing a spread it out team like Miami, Lively is key, just like against Pitt. He’s so big and athletic that guarding someone 20 feet away from the basket is no issue. And when he’s in the paint, all shots get altered.

Reactions: christophero
He had it three times and pump faked and went in and passed . He is always open but refuses to shoot . Look at his first three when he hit it a Miami player was contesting but he just let it fly and went in. His hesitation is what is killing his three point average.
Shey, I like you, but disagree here. If he’s open, he will shoot. About all of his 3’s will come from him being fairly open. He doesn’t have a JJ or Grayson type of release, or even Joey’s. I think he’s at least as good a shooter as Baker, but slightly more athletic. He needs help to be able to get his shot off.

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
Grandison got 6 assists by continually feeding Flip on the low block. Maybe he should tell our guards about this.
He did, however he also threw the ball away twice by trying to feed Young. And both were terrible passes. Grandison needs some minutes and he should stick to being in the corner on offense, he is elite from there and provides spacing.

He threw that one pass over Young's head. It would have been a nice pass to lively or Flip, but Young can't catch that. Interesting that the Whitehead banked prayer from 3 was the difference in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982
Interesting that the Whitehead banked prayer from 3 was the difference in the game.
Never lost the lead after Dariq threw in that prayer as the shot clock expired. Went up 48-47 on the Whitehead bomb. Seemed to shake up the Canes momentarily just enough for us to squeeze out the big W!!

I was disappointed we had a down the stretch wilting on offense like at Clemson. Did we even score a FG in the last 5-6 minutes of the game??

Speaking of Clemson, VA Tech just lost a one point heartbreaker at Littlejohn. The Hokies will be angry Monday nite. We MUST bring the same intensity we brought to today's game. We badly need to kick in the door and get a ROAD ACC win!! OFC

Last edited:
My uncle was a successful high school basketball coach from the late 70s to early 00s. When he had two of his sons (who he had coached) become high school basketball coaches, he took them aside and explained to them that "you cannot do some of the things I did as a coach in this day and age."

You are lying to yourself if you think there were not times K or huckleberry or even Knight (and even going back to the Nose) did not get technicals (or did and wasn't thrown out) when they were warranted for going after refs? And rightly or wrongly, there are things 40+ year head coach can say or do to a team and not only get away with, but motivate a team, that a first year head coach would say or do and could have the opposite affect as intended. K was in this place 40 years ago. He had to earn how much of a hard @ss he could be with his words and actions. He had to earn how much he could really get on officials. Sheyer, or anyone just a new head coach, is going to lose the team or lose respect from officials a lot quicker than from a veteran coach.

Aristotle pointed to three elements of speech to persuade a person: logos (logic), pathos (emotion), and ethos (persuasion simply by who is giving the speech). Sorry, Sheyer (or any first year head coach, save maybe a Bill Guthridge-type who has been an assistant for a long time under a legendary coach) does not have the ethos yet.

Remember 1994-95. Duke lost A LOT of close games. Was it all Gaudett's fault? No. It comes down how do people respond in a close game if they look over and see K versus they don't. How many people could have pulled off "We will win this game" against UK in 1992 or "I don't coach losers" at Louisville in 2019?

Sheyer will find himself. Some of you need to tone it down a bit on him. And remember, a lot of times K going after officials was him picking his moments and it trying to be motivation to the team as much or if not more than bad calls.

Last edited:
I think time will tell if Jon will be a success at Duke. He needs to create a culture where people will want to stay at Duke for more than one year. I was very happy with the win today; but I do think we need to play better Monday to get a W. Having Roach back helps. Young teams play better at home; but we need to get over that. I am not confident that we can beat UNC or Virginia, but a split would be good. At least we have everyone healthy (for now) for the stretch run. Odd that we went from 28 to 30 on Kenpom after winning. That is a 7/8 seed, which usually means a brutal round 2 game. Still plenty of time to improve on that.

I think time will tell if Jon will be a success at Duke. He needs to create a culture where people will want to stay at Duke for more than one year. I was very happy with the win today; but I do think we need to play better Monday to get a W. Having Roach back helps. Young teams play better at home; but we need to get over that. I am not confident that we can beat UNC or Virginia, but a split would be good. At least we have everyone healthy (for now) for the stretch run.
Time will tell. Remember the Nose was hung in effigy by fans early with the Cheats. K was sure he was going to be fired early in the 1980s. But even K had the luxury of guys never leaving early for most of his career. Sheyer, who still needs to find his voice, has a new roster virtually every year. We were carried by one and dones in 2015, but it was really Quinn Cook who was the glue that got that championship...

Mind you, it is a balancing act, but coaches are not given enough time nowadays. Before Donovan went back-to-back, he lost in the first or second round for five straight. He was also an OT and some very creative officiating from losing in the first round in 2000 (but there is always creative officiating in Winston-Salem). Donovan would have been fired if he was not at a football school with next to nothing in terms of basketball history.

True but Jon accepted the Duke job and chose not to start at a smaller school. So bigger pay, bigger expectations. I think making the tournament most years should be the expectation, with the occasional deep run. Coach K built us into a blue blood; so it's not the same as when coach K started. Sweet 16 this year with a few freshman back would be nice. Davis had final four and his entire team back, so that doesn't seem like a hard ask. And you just know UNC is going to get it together and go on a run.

Last edited:
My uncle was a successful high school basketball coach from the late 70s to early 00s. When he had two of his sons (who he had coached) become high school basketball coaches, he took them aside and explained to them that "you cannot do some of the things I did as a coach in this day and age."

You are lying to yourself if you think there were not times K or huckleberry or even Knight (and even going back to the Nose) did not get technicals (or did and wasn't thrown out) when they were warranted for going after refs? And rightly or wrongly, there are things 40+ year head coach can say or do to a team and not only get away with, but motivate a team, that a first year head coach would say or do and could have the opposite affect as intended. K was in this place 40 years ago. He had to earn how much of a hard @ss he could be with his words and actions. He had to earn how much he could really get on officials. Sheyer, or anyone just a new head coach, is going to lose the team or lose respect from officials a lot quicker than from a veteran coach.

Aristotle pointed to three elements of speech to persuade a person: logos (logic), pathos (emotion), and ethos (persuasion simply by who is giving the speech). Sorry, Sheyer (or any first year head coach, save maybe a Bill Guthridge-type who has been an assistant for a long time under a legendary coach) does not have the ethos yet.

Remember 1994-95. Duke lost A LOT of close games. Was it all Gaudett's fault? No. It comes down how do people respond in a close game if they look over and see K versus they don't. How many people could have pulled off "We will win this game" against UK in 1992 or "I don't coach losers" at Louisville in 2019?

Sheyer will find himself. Some of you need to tone it down a bit on him. And remember, a lot of times K going after officials was him picking his moments and it trying to be motivation to the team as much or if not more than bad calls.
I don't disagree but...

It took half the games for Scheyer to get his butt up from sitting on the bench the whole game.

His team needs imo to see he has their back and need some motivation. We have seen thay as they fall apart late. I felt like the calls today warranted that motivation.

This ain't high school.

Today's game was exhausting, but a huge win. On the bright side, Roach played great, Proctor had a nice game, and Grandison was solid. I thought our backcourt was the highlight, although Flip had his usual great game. On the other hand, the missed shots around the basket were infuriating, and a few of those turnovers were just ridiculous. We easily could've beaten them by 12 or more today by just finishing a little better around the rim. Someone please scream at Lively "just dunk everything!" But still, an enormous win.

But rightly or wrongly, refs are human. Calls tend to favor the aggressor and the momentum (see the 2015 national championship game. Wisconsin got the benefit of the whistlefir thefirst 30 minutes, Duke the last 10).

You know, I asked a coach one time why he did not get on the officials. His reply? "I can't go after the officials if my team is not showing heart."

There has been at times, lack of heart and will fron this team (which starts and stops with the head coach, that I agree with). But if the team looks lifless, what is yelling at the officials going to do?

But rightly or wrongly, refs are human. Calls tend to favor the aggressor and the momentum (see the 2015 national championship game. Wisconsin got the benefit of the whistlefir thefirst 30 minutes, Duke the last 10).

You know, I asked a coach one time why he did not get on the officials. His reply? "I can't go after the officials if my team is not showing heart."

There has been at times, lack of heart and will fron this team (which starts and stops with the head coach, that I agree with). But if the team looks lifless, what is yelling at the officials going to do?
That was not the case. Sure if your players are looking like crap keep your mouth shut.

You can do both.

Shey, I like you, but disagree here. If he’s open, he will shoot. About all of his 3’s will come from him being fairly open. He doesn’t have a JJ or Grayson type of release, or even Joey’s. I think he’s at least as good a shooter as Baker, but slightly more athletic. He needs help to be able to get his shot off.
We will see if he repeats his performance on the road. I really don’t see it being anyone’s fault why he don’t get his shot off but his . Play in point . Grandison is in the corner , Proctor passes to Blakes , Blakes hit Grandison when he is wide open and instead of shooting he takes two steps and the defense collapses and has to kick out for a missed shot from Proctor . He seems to hit more three’s with a player coming at him then he does wide open .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT