ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread (1/21) Duke vs Miami

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
Posting this a little early but with a noon tip I thought that would be okay.

Duke plays host to the Miami hurricanes for a noon tip on ESPN.. at the time of writing we are a 6 point favorite (huh?!?!?!?!) not sure how that came to be but Vegas is Vegas so who knows..

Miami ranked 17 comes into the game with a record of 15-3 with a lose to NC St being the only common one, they also hold an impressive win over Virginia. Miamis top 4 players are all averaging double figures with the top 3 being over 14 ppg(must be nice)
Miami is coached by Jim Larranaga, ninth most wins of active coaches with over 700. He is the only coach in ncaa history with 100+ conference wins at 3 division 1 schools. Coach played ball at providence then played a year over seas before going to davidson as an assistant coach(one thing in doing the Gameday thread I’m shocked at how many coaches have a tie to NC, it’s actually pretty incredible) he eventually became an assistant at UVA before head coaching roles at bowling green, George Mason, then Miami. In 11 yrs at Miami he’s been to 5 ncaa tournaments which seems low to me for as good as they’ve been.. 3 of those resulted in sweet 16 runs and one elite eight. Of course we all remember his amazing final 4 run in 06 with George Mason.

This one is like all the rest this year.. must win. We always play like crap after a break from games so I unfortunately expect the same.. at least we get it over with early in the day (kidding.. sorta)

Duke-63
Miami-72

Don’t know how I feel about this one .

As Chris would say, “ this is a must win!” How ever I believe winning both of the games against Miami is a must .

That said , I don’t think Dukes guard play survives this test and Miami’s guard become to much for Duke.
Think we see Schutt especially with the injuries to Blakes and Roach.

Miami 80
Duke 69

Reactions: christophero
Unless we pull a surprising turnaround, I agree with the prior predictions, the spread being the only unknown. But if we do go down, I see this season snowballing into a very bad place. Very critical game for us. We need a win to reinject some life and hope into this team.

Miami's guard play concerns me most. They are a lot tougher than we are at that position, and it's compounded by the Roach and Blakes injuries. I expect their gaurds to beat our guards off the dribble all day long for lots of layups and ally oops, and to hound our guards on defense. But I think our frontcourt will ultimately control the game, rebound well, and do enough to win at home. Crazies need to be loud and proud, this young team needs them!

Duke 71
Miami 66

Very concerned about Canes guard play giving us fits.Also @pisgah101 did a really good job on Larranaga's background and excellent credentials. Pre Larranaga the U was 2-15 vs Duke. Under Larranaga, they're 7-8 vs the Blue Devils including a 2 pt win at Cameron last year,
(They were 15 pt underdogs).

As Pisgah mentioned the 17th ranked Canes are underdogs again today vs unranked Duke. More motivation. Canes, 77-72.
Go Devils, ANY chance to win is contingent on our inside play. I hear Schutt will play while the game is still on the line. OFC

Roach is available today and will see the floor but probably at limited minutes. Duke needs this win. Miami is a tough place to play but I see a win by Duke. Schutt needs to see some minutes as well. Lively needs to have the best game he has had and Flip needs to return to the play he had the first 6-7 games.

Duke - 65
Miami - 61

If we pound the ball inside, I think we will win. May have to play some zone if our guards are getting beat off the dribble. FT’s will probably be the difference along with home court.
Duke 74-70

Blakes has a broken nose but will play with a mask. This will be a tough task without Roach, as Miami has good guards. (Now I'm hearing Roach is playing, which helps, as long as he plays within himself.) Our advantage is in the frontcourt. We really need strong games out of Lively and Whitehead. Proctor as well. We do play well at home. I'll predict a win but this one feels like it could go either way. It may not technically be a must win but it sure feels like one. We are second to last in the ACC in turnovers. We need to fix that. Only Louisville is worse.
Duke 75
Miami 72

Last edited:
If we wants chance we better have a plan to stop their guards from penetration. If we play like we always do overplaying and the man getting beat off the dribble we will get blown out of our own gym.

We will see what the plan is and if there is a quick adjustment I recon…

Miami 80
Duke 65

We seem to be the only fan base of a major team that worries about being able to stop the other teams guards from penetrating. This has been a problem for years.

It’s also a big issue when Duke is at home with a team that’s not a contender, yet we aren’t optimistic.

This line is so weird. We're favored by 5.5/6 so if you account for home court advantage which is typically 3 (maybe more in college), we would still be favored at Miami? I don't buy it. If anything this should be closer to a pickem game. Regardless, we must win!

Duke 72
Miami 69

This line is so weird. We're favored by 5.5/6 so if you account for home court advantage which is typically 3 (maybe more in college), we would still be favored at Miami? I don't buy it. If anything this should be closer to a pickem game. Regardless, we must win!

Duke 72
Miami 69
Yeah the line threw me for sure!

OFC

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I don’t understand why Roach is playing but may be limited to minutes. That makes sense if he’s recovering from an illness, or returning from an injury where his conditioning isn’t there yet, but he’s hurt, right? Isn’t the long term play to
let him fully recover, or is this “ all hands on deck” time?

Miami is guard heavy and i think that will eat us alive off the dribble if we just play man-to-man all game

20-17 Miami. Lively with 4 and 2. Whitehead with 5 points, Flip 4. Lively with 2 fouls already. Now 25-20 Duke. Flip has 9 points.

If we win today and Roach makes it through the game without limping it will be a very good day. Young and Lively with 2 fouls. Do we see Reeves? Edit just one foul on Young.

Get out your Maalox because this going to be a close one. Miami by 2. Pack lighting us up with 14. Turnovers still an issue.

Last edited:
Grandson can’t even hit a layup. Did not expect this type of year from him

We played as well as we can and then regressed to our mean…haven’t scored a bucket in like six minutes….and we are still losing….we just are not good and our lineups make zero zero zero zero sense….

Reactions: sheyduke
Can someone please tell Proctor he's not a good 3 point shooter? These scoring draughts are killing us.

Reactions: ioliva
Wow Roach with 8 points. Wasn't expecting that. Grand with a much needed 3. Tied at the half. I'll take it. Tighten up some things and get the W.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT