ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread (1/21) Duke vs Miami

Man we needed that win!

I feel like that is the most complete game we have put together since November.

Guys played hard and with energy…Scheyer coached a pretty good game today…we executed down the stretch….

Hopefully a building point and we don’t regress Monday night.

But we won. We need to hit FTs down the stretch. This would have been a heartbreaking loss after leading most of the way.

Reactions: sheyduke
Good to get the win but scoring 4pts in the last 5 mins wont win you many games! Luckily the U decided to shoot jump shots vs drive the ball for the most part and they were ice cold. The highs and lows in intensity for this team make it a roller coaster to watch...we get ahead and then fall asleep for several possessions..if they can learn to maintain the intensity level for longer periods we will be ok...

Good win. Scoring droughts are bad, but we have them at good times for our opponents. Other than the missed FT, Roach played a solid game.
I can understand criticism of the players, but I think Grandison is more valuable than some are thinking. We aren’t a good 3 pt shooting team, but seem to be ok when we move the ball, and guys can be somewhat stepping into them. And he is our best option. He just needs help from the others to get his shot.

Good win. Scoring droughts are bad, but we have them at good times for our opponents. Other than the missed FT, Roach played a solid game.
I can understand criticism of the players, but I think Grandison is more valuable than some are thinking. We aren’t a good 3 pt shooting team, but seem to be ok when we move the ball, and guys can be somewhat stepping into them. And he is our best option. He just needs help from the others to get his shot.
Sorry can’t agree Mac. He needs to shoot more . He has a good release but when he’s in the game on the offensive side it’s for shooting and he needs to let it fly .

Reactions: Fourteen44
Next 4 are @VT, at GT, Wake at home, UNC and Virginia at home. 3 and 2 or 2 and 3 in that stretch. Winning Monday would help.

We definitely need to work on our end of game skills. Not sure missing 2 trips to the line in the last minutes will work against the UNCs and Virginias. Still, a win is a win. But boy we gave Miami chances at the end. We played good D today. Which is good, because we have the 10th ranked offense. In...the..ACC

Last edited:
Sorry can’t agree Mac. He needs to shoot more . He has a good release but when he’s in the game on the offensive side it’s for shooting and he needs to let it fly .
Yes he does need to shoot a few more. But he can’t create for himself. He needs guard penetration and kick out, or an in/out game. I think that’s pretty obvious.

Reactions: dukesince91
Next 4 are @VT, at GT, Wake at home, UNC and Virginia at home. 3 and 2 or 2 and 3 in that stretch. Winning Monday would help.
Math, RIGHT
I've been as hard on Lively as anyone (rightfully so) but today is EXACTLY what we need out of him. 6 points, 10 boards in 18 minutes.
A Zoubek style last third of season would be nice.

Take away the 4 dumb turnovers in the first half, where we are just too casual in our passing, and some inside shots that we didn't go up strong enough, and it's a 10 point win.

I have to admit that Seth Greenberg said twice that our freshmen don't know how much intensity is needed throughout the game to win in the ACC and I think he is right.

Take away the 4 dumb turnovers in the first half, where we are just too casual in our passing, and some inside shots that we didn't go up strong enough, and it's a 10 point win.

I have to admit that Seth Greenberg said twice that our freshmen don't know how much intensity is needed throughout the game to win in the ACC and I think he is right.
Some of that comes from the Coach. We don't have to see K levels of working the refs, but Scheyer needs more voice. Would have been happier to see him a bit more in their face after the two bad calls in a row starting with the extra oomph in the held ball.

Just saw that Flip has 63 points, and 46 boards in his last three games. Thats incredible
I'm not sure who it was that said he has no chance being in the lottery. His mistakes as a freshman are not bad enough to overcome the potential he shows. I think he has a good shot.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
I think Scheyer is finding his way and right now is being more encouraging than he is getting in people's faces, including the refs. But we don't see what he does in the locker room and in practice.

I'd like to see a little more emotion out of the players. Not rah rah trash talk stuff, just a little animation and excitement.

A beer a hot dog and 10 observations. Good name for a podcast if I had one.
1. Dickie V doing the game. After Pack hits his second 3 in a minute "he can shoot the ball." Thanks for that astute observation.
2. Flip with a rim rattling dunk. He really plays aggressive. Flip has a really good second jump, which is why he gets so many putbacks. And why he will not be at Duke next year.
3. Whitehead with 2 quick buckets. We need more of that.
4. Lively with 2 rebounds and a putback. he's been slowly improving.
5. Whitehead with a spin and fall away jumper. He's not Larry Bird. Next an airball and contested 3. He really needs to stop doing that. He has some bad habits.
6. Roach nice pump fake to a wide open Grandison 3. Nice.
7. Lively has earned the right to start. Young is a good backup, but Lively gives us a shot to be elite. I won't compare Lively to Sanders/Bolden, Jeter again, as he has surpassed those guys.
8. Roach back and Lively emerging are very encouraging for this team. We looked better against Clemson too. We didn't win, but we battled.
9. Proctor looks more confident. I think Roach being out helped him.
10. Grandison passes to Flip then passes back. Flip makes 2 free throws. That was the game.
Nice win over a top 20 team, but man we almost blew it. That might have been a charge on Flip at the end. Interesting that Grandison was in down the stretch instead of Whitehead. Smart for Jon to go with the vet. Monday will be a good test.

Last edited:
Yes he does need to shoot a few more. But he can’t create for himself. He needs guard penetration and kick out, or an in/out game. I think that’s pretty obvious.
He had it three times and pump faked and went in and passed . He is always open but refuses to shoot . Look at his first three when he hit it a Miami player was contesting but he just let it fly and went in. His hesitation is what is killing his three point average.

A beer a hot dog and 10 observations. Good name for a podcast if I had one.
1. Dickie V doing the game. After Pack hits his second 3 in a minute "he can shoot the ball." Thanks for that astute observation.
2. Flip with a rim rattling dunk. He really plays aggressive.
3. Whitehead with 2 quick buckets. We need more of that.
4. Lively with 2 rebounds and a putback. he's been slowly improving.
5. Whitehead with a spin and fall away jumper. He's not Larry Bird. Next an airball and contested 3. He really needs to stop doing that.
6. Roach nice pump fake to a wide open Grandison 3. Nice.
7. Lively has earned the right to start. Young is a good backup, but Lively gives us a shot to be elite. I won't compare Lively to Sanders/Bolden, Jeter again, as he has surpassed those guys.
8. Roach back and Lively emerging are very encouraging for this team. We looked better against Clemson too. We didn't win, but we battled.
9. Proctor looks more confident. I think Roach being out helped him.
10. Grandison passes to Flip then passes back. Flip makes 2 free throws. That was the game.
Nice win over a top 20 team, but man we almost blew it. That might have been a charge on Flip at the end. Interesting that Grandison was in down the stretch instead of Whitehead. Smart for Jon to go with the vet. Monday will be a good test.
Or was it because Grandison was being the more aggressive on defense? Did anyone see Whitehead lagging back on defense ? But Jon also pulled Grandison at the end . Lively shouldn’t start over Young unless he’s going to start absorbing the contact . He looked way better but he’s got to take more of the contact . Good game .

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT