ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Arkansas

You say that, but wait until someone you know is trying to get off the court with the losing team and gets injured. Sorry, but I don't think people can think of others enough anymore for it to be allowed.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I don't know anything about that.
We used to chat away from the board. Been several years. No clue what he’s talking about with the stalking stuff. That’s what people that aren’t stable say to try to belittle someone else. His posts here are proof.

Can you name many posters he hasn’t tangled with? Debating is one thing, but he takes it to another level. And his use of emojis are childlike.

I think Mitchell needs to step up. Is his injury still limiting him? Our 5 issues are less glaring if he's putting up double doubles. Our 3 sophs look a lot like they did last year. We need a soph. jump. Flip has I guess but he had a great year last year.

We used to chat away from the board. Been several years. No clue what he’s talking about with the stalking stuff. That’s what people that aren’t stable say to try to belittle someone else. His posts here are proof.

Can you name many posters he hasn’t tangled with? Debating is one thing, but he takes it to another level. And his use of emojis are childlike.
I stayed away most of the summer from here because of the intense negativity last season. It hasn't improved.

You say that, but wait until someone you know is trying to get off the court with the losing team and gets injured. Sorry, but I don't think people can think of others enough anymore for it to be allowed.
Your opinion, but someone who is afraid to get hurt shouldn’t be on the court anyways….

@Mac9192 get off my nuts man. I had to block you in my cell phone because you were creepily texting me, a stranger, over an extended period. I get it, maybe you come here to “make friends” but some of us come here to talk bball, poke at trolls, and screw around.

So how far do we drop? To 15? 20? The sucky thing is UNC and Virginia looked good tonight.

I stayed away most of the summer from here because of the intense negativity last season. It hasn't improved.
And in fairness, the “intense negativity” you refer to was many here calling Duke soft. How did the season end? Abruptly, with them being viciously exposed as…..soft.

The kids didn’t quit. But, there’s plenty of room for improvement. Everyone is harping on McCain. I know he’s not scoring, which is needed, but he does rebound well, grabbing 10 tonight.
Proctor, Mitchell, and Foster struggled too.

I'm not mad. I expected us to lose. We are going to need the guards to start lighting it up to win these types of games. If we learn from it it is a good thing; but I am growing tired of saying that. We are lacking something at the moment. But long season, Jon has his work cut out. A lot of pieces to fit as well. If the freshman come on like gangbusters we will be a different team.

That was a legit question. Why the hell wouldn’t the team be prepared to protect anyone vulnerable on their staff?

But you carry on being a softy.
You have got to be kidding me. Is it all just some epic long-form trolling game with you? You've seen court storming. Sometimes you can have all the prep and protection you can get but if screaming fans don't give a shit you're screwed. But hey, I'm soft, blah blah.

You have got to be kidding me. Is it all just some epic long-form trolling game with you? You've seen court storming. Sometimes you can have all the prep and protection you can get but if screaming fans don't give a shit you're screwed. But hey, I'm soft, blah blah.
You’re soft because of your typical initial reply. I’m perplexed a top tier team playing at the level would be so unprepared.

Ps - Duke will win every game from here on out, cut the nets down. They’re a legit top 5 team today and it’s only up from here.

Does that make you feel better? Seriously, I know many here flip out way too early but it’s 1/5th of the way through and this team has regressed from last year even after returning 4 starters. They have a significant weakness in the front court, and a moderate weakness in the backcourt. The front court issue only has one potential body that can better mask it, but Jon is clear he’ll keep Reeves on a short leash. Mitchell? He’s exposed now without 2 bigs to play off of. Flip? He’s not a power 5, and opponents will keep attacking that. The front court? Average long range shooters who can’t break an opposing D down (except maybe Roach). Those are some significant personnel gaps to fix in the last 4/5’s of the season.

Last edited:
Small sample size but could Power be an answer at the 3? He looked good tonight against an athletic team. Haven't been impressed with McCain so far but maybe he busts out. Goodman must have been high on TJ for a reason. it will be a challenge for Jon as there is not much separation after our big 4.

Maybe Lively was more important to the makeup of the lineup than we thought because it seems like a bigger adjustment to the 3 guard offense for all the returning guys than I anticipated.

Last year it was

Lively
Flip
Mitchell
Roach
Proctor

Top man off the bench was Whitehead

That team really really came on and of course won an ACC title.

No, we obviously don’t have Lively anymore but maybe there is something to that lineup configuration that makes the returning guys more comfortable. I can’t reiterate it enough but I hope we get the opportunity to try different things to maybe duplicate that.

Ideally it would be

Reeves
Flip
Mitchell
Roach
Proctor

Or

Flip
Stewart
Mitchell
Roach
Proctor

Or

Young
Flip
Mitchell
Roach
Proctor

Just play around with trying to more closely simulate last years team. OF COURSE it won’t be the same without Lively but as it currently stands, the 3 guard seems like a FAR departure for the guys from last year.

It just doesn’t seem to fit this personnel

I bet powers starts next game
He may, but does it change anything? Are we going to defend and rebound any better? He can shoot, but I don’t know if that is going to be the answer.

Flip
Power
McCain
Roach
Proctor

I just don’t see where the toughness, rebounding, steals and or shot blocking is going to come from. Live and die by the three i suppose? Hey we’ve had teams like that before.

Last edited:
He may, but does it change anything? Are we going to defend and rebound any better? He can shoot, but I don’t know if that is going to be the answer.

Flip
Power
McCain
Roach
Proctor

I just don’t see where the toughness, rebounding, steels and or shot blocking is going to come from. Live and die by the three i suppose? Hey we’ve had teams like that before.
I think we have to start him and Mitchell or Stewart and sit a guard.

Yes I would be fine with that if we sit a guard. But man, so far, Jon seems against it. Have we played two guards only at all this year, even in limited minutes? GT is going to be a test and they aren’t small. I think they go 6’11, 6’9 and 6’7 and coming off a win over #21 Miss State.

Reactions: christophero
I'd like to see Power get a shot at starting. Stewart should play too but I think he's too raw to start at the moment. Him and Mitchell are not really a good fit starting together. Power could spread the floor for Mitchell and Flip. McCain hasn't look the part of a top 10 team starter, but clearly Jon thinks so. We need a 5th guy to step up. Maybe Blakes. Who knows. The freshman seem not quite ready for the big time, but they could grow into it.

Last edited:
We will soon see McCain moved out of the starting lineup. Insert Powers or Stewart... Proctor and McCain need to STEP UP, or we will be in tight ass struggling games all year... with 5 guards why don't we press more, play a faster pace game, and keep the pressure off of Flip and the other bigs in the paint.

Your retort to anyone who challenges you is to call them soft or a stalker. Pot meet kettle.
Challenges me? That’s funny, this is a sports message board. You’re just upset that I’ve hit you with glaring facts and you still see sunshine and rainbows. All good. I’ll leave this here again for you, since you can’t seem to refute it:

Seriously, I know many here flip out way too early but it’s 1/5th of the way through and this team has regressed from last year even after returning 4 starters. They have a significant weakness in the front court, and a moderate weakness in the backcourt. The front court issue only has one potential body that can better mask it, but Jon is clear he’ll keep Reeves on a short leash. Mitchell? He’s exposed now without 2 bigs to play off of. Flip? He’s not a power 5, and opponents will keep attacking that. The front court? Average long range shooters who can’t break an opposing D down (except maybe Roach). Those are some significant personnel gaps to fix in the last 4/5’s of the season.

Small sample size but could Power be an answer at the 3? He looked good tonight against an athletic team. Haven't been impressed with McCain so far but maybe he busts out. Goodman must have been high on TJ for a reason. it will be a challenge for Jon as there is not much separation after our big 4.
The issue with Power is that right now, aside from being a strong perimeter shooter, he’s weak on D, athleticism, and can’t create/attack once closed out on and prevented from starting a jumper. In 13 minutes last night he had ONE rebound at a listed 6’9. That’s not good. IMO Stewart is the better fit because of of his energy and athleticism.

Reactions: Duke Blu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT