ADVERTISEMENT

How did you come up with your username?

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
I've seen this on two boards recently and thought it would be fun to do here. I'll start.

I was still in elementary school when some cousin(s) attended Duke --- mid 80's and early 90's....so I gravitated to them right away. My nickname was J(ay) and one of my teachers started calling me dukie-jay. Soon a lot of people were calling me that and it stuck. When I joined the board in 2002 or so my username was dukiej (I didn't post near as much back then) but somehow I got locked out of my account and changed it to dukiejay a few years later.

Reactions: DukeOrDie
The wikipedia page for Mark Gastineau was continually edited by some person who constantly made him sound like a lunatic. I would read it every few days and it would make me cry laughing at some of the fake stories posted. When I joined Rivals, it only seemed natural.

Here's the page if anyone is interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mark_Gastineau&oldid=86005392

Also, I'm actually Mark Gastineau.

Reactions: DukeOrDie
Mine probably doesn't require an explanation - but I went to undergrad at Michigan State (MSU) and have been a duke fan since I was about 5.

My last name is Show. Everybody down here on the Coast has called me ShowMan or Show since I was a high schooler. I tried ShowMan here when I first signed up many years ago but it wouldn't accept it for some reason. I tried and tried and finally "had enough".......Showenuff.

As a kid I didn't have a certain team I liked the best. I usually just pulled for the instate teams: Duke, UNX, and State. I also liked Maryland because they usually had one of the top scorers in the ACC.

I moved to Roxboro when I graduated college and attended my first game at Cameron in 1990 (Duke vs Georgia Tech).
It was the most fun that I've ever had watching a game. I was hooked once I got around the crazies. Thus Dukesince90 became my user name. Laettner, Hurley, the Hills vs Lethal Weapon 3 (Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, and ?).

Duke won 52 to 50. Pregame was awesome watching Scott shoot 3's. He hit one from half court as the Crazies were chanting GTH home Scot GTH home. They all bowed in unison and said "ommmmmmmm!" I'll never forget it.

Was anyone else on this board at that game?

Kinda self explanatory I guess. My favorite Duke player was Wojo. I was a Wojoman. Now I actually have a 1a and 1b. Wojo and Scheyer.

Baseball is my favorite sport, I played catcher for 18 years and create this in high school. My favorite number is 6 (my # is all sports I played minus basketball). It's a stupid name IMO but I don't want to switch and start my posts from zero :)

ESPN the mag cover for the 98-99 college basketball preview. On the cover was Elton Brand, Trajan Langdon, and Will Avery and it was titled "Duke Or Die" loved that cover loved that team. Broke my heart when we lost to the huskies.

Went to Pisgah high school and discovered NC Preps in 2005 when I was a sophomore and our basketball team was in the middle of a 52 game win streak. So I posted there then realized all the other boards and came here

Tennessee Undergrad + Duke Grad School = Voldukie

(Honestly to capture all of the schools it should be VolPirateDukie'Eer (UT -Ugrad/ ECU- Grad/ Duke-Grad/ WVU-Law )but that sounds worse than a Mayweather-Paquiao Rematch.)
I did the reverse in terms of schooling. Nice to have a fellow Vol on here. Can't wait for the fall.

Reactions: Voldukie
I've had this nickname on numerous message boards. Mainly the Hornets board over at RealGM. I've lurked around this board a ton for years, and am just now getting around to posting.

Reactions: Liver_Pooty
Was creating my account wasn't paying attention put sheyduke, instead of Scheyer Duke being as Jon was one of my favorite players. Never changed it lol

I've seen this on two boards recently and thought it would be fun to do here. I'll start.

I was still in elementary school when some cousin(s) attended Duke --- mid 80's and early 90's....so I gravitated to them right away. My nickname was J(ay) and one of my teachers started calling me dukie-jay. Soon a lot of people were calling me that and it stuck. When I joined the board in 2002 or so my username was dukiej (I didn't post near as much back then) but somehow I got locked out of my account and changed it to dukiejay a few years later.

My nickname in high school was noodle, because I was tall and skinny and my dad's nickname has been nudy since he was a kid (for whatever reason). My first name is Jesse, so when I wasn't super skinny anymore, people started calling me Jnood.

My name is David Bavoso, so I shortened it to dbav.

My last name is Young. In college, a close friend started calling me "young man" and it caught on, then everyone in school called me "young man." The 42 is the age I was when I started on the Duke board. So, I've been on this board 12 years. Hard to believe.

Not very original, but here goes....When I was in HS, I had a tendency to put off shaving (private school; no facial hair was part of dress code), which led to an ugly beard....As a part of tradition, everyone on our bus had stupid little nicknames. Mine became Wolfman....

The 2610 part goes park to my time as a grad student at Fordham University. I needed to create an email account, so I used my age and the year. I was 26 and it was 2010.

Spike was a nickname from high school and I ride a 2005 roadking custom. Thus spike05rk

A silly drunken high school story that would not be funny at all in a retelling (though for the record, all just silly and completely harmless), followed by my initials.

I grew up a Duke fan but never received the scholarship offer from Coach K I always dreamed about. So I played basketball at a small d3 school in Iowa, the Central College Dutch.

Well, I'm old as dirt, and I like Duke so...that's how it happened. I probably should have put some more thought into it, but I didn't think I would be posting much (it's the only forum I've ever signed up for, or posted on). I think some of the acronyms are fun. OAD (old as dirt)...but I can't help to think of 'One And Done'...because the term is used so much nowadays. And ODD...that's funny...because I am kinda odd!

OFC

I actually started mine back in the early 2000's, and originally just posted on the Rutgers page (scraletnation). It is "hallside" because I had 2 cousins playing football there. Since their last name was Leonard, I went with my mother and their mother's maiden name which is "Hall". So in the end it is because I am on the Hall side of the family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT