ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite recruiting class

christophero

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
May 2, 2017
I thought this would be a fun topic. I will give my 5 favorite recruiting classes. What is yours?
1. Brand, Battier, Avery, Burgess. My favorite team. Kind of brought us back from some really lean years in the mid 90's and put us back on top. Helped make the Duke brand "cool" to a lot of people.
2. Boozer, Williams, Dunleavy, Horvath, Sanders. We reloaded nicely after the 99 exodus and won a title within 2 years.
3. Jones, Allen, Okafor, Winslow. Helped us win the title in 15.
4. Singler, Smith and Taylor King. Singler is one of my favorite players. And I enjoyed King's long range bombing, brief as it was. Singler and Smith stuck around and hung a banner.
5. Amaker, Dawkins, Bilas, Alarie. The one that started it all. (at least for me) Made it all the way to the 86 finals.
Every one of those classes either won a title or reached the title game. Not too bad.

Last edited:
This is in no order.

1. Jon, Zoubs, Lance, and G.
2. Brand, Battier, Avery, JD Simpson, Burgess, and I will count redshirt Nate James here
3. Tyus, Grayson, Jah, and Winslow
4. Singler, Smith, and King
5. Dawkins, Mark Alarie, David Henderson, Weldon Williams, and Jay
6. Christian Laettner, Brian Davis, and Crawford Palmer
7. Thomas Hill, Hurley, and Billy McCaffery
8. Grant Hill, Marty Clark, Antiono Lang, Kenny Blakeney, and Christian Ast
9. Boozer, Jay Will, Dunleavy, Horvath, Casey Sanders, Andre Buckner, and Andy Borman
10. Mason Plumlee, Andre Dawkins, and Ryan Kelly

Last edited:
I thought this would be a fun topic. I will give my 5 favorite recruiting classes. What is yours?
1. Brand, Battier, Avery, Burgess. My favorite team. Kind of brought us back from some really lean years in the mid 90's and put us back on top. Helped make the Duke brand "cool" to a lot of people.
2. Boozer, Williams, Dunleavy, Horvath, Sanders. We reloaded nicely after the 99 exodus and won a title within 2 years.
3. Jones, Allen, Okafor, Winslow. Helped us win the title in 15.
4. Singler, Smith and Taylor King. Singler is one of my favorite players. And I enjoyed King's long range bombing, brief as it was. Singler and Smith stuck around and hung a banner.
5. Amaker, Dawkins, Bilas, Alarie. The one that started it all. (at least for me) Made it all the way to the 86 finals.
Every one of those classes either won a title or reached the title game. Not too bad.

Amaker was a year behind the Dawkins/Alarie/Henderson/Bilas/Williams/Jackman class. That was the class K had to have to keep his job. Easily the most important class in Duke basketball history.

The Dawkins class is no doubt the most important one of K’s time. The best one though might be the 3 man class of Palmer, Davis, and that other fella, Laettner.

It's interesting to me that the Brand class probably had only one one and done if today; Brand. Avery maybe, but he didn't take off until year two. Battier in no way, shape or form looked like an NBA guy in year one.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT