ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS UNC - FINAL FOUR - OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
I can't even believe I'm making a game day thread, during Coach K's final season, for the Final Four, against our bitterly hated arch rival. Yeah I said it, HATE.

I don't know who will remember, but on my initial game thread of the season I talked about how long I've been doing this for, and what an honor it is.

If memory serves, I took over for Roshanritter (there's a blast from the past - who remembers that name?) during the 2008-2009 season which would make this my fourteenth season having the honor of doing this all for you. Now, in K's last season, I get to do my third Final Four game day thread, and hopefully, my third National Championship game day thread.

To many of you it's trivial, meaningless, I get it. But for myself, and many of us that have been around a long time, there is something traditional about it. Something rhythmic. It sounds crazy (at least to my wife lol), but I truly appreciate the honor of being able to create these - and it's not lost on me in a moment like today's. The game day thread for a final four match-up, against our fiercely hated rival; knowing any game could be K's last.

Now, let's turn to tonight's epic match-up. We all know the magnitude of today's game. The school and fans of the school that win this game will be able to carry the weight of this one, well, forever. It's well documented the two teams have never met in the NCAA tournament but how fitting it is, that they meet during K's final run.

It's tough to glean a lot from the previous two games. Duke ran the Tar Heels off their own floor in early February by 20 points (87-67) and the Tar Heels proceeded to turn right around and hand it back to Duke, spoiling Coach K's final home game inside Cameron, 94-81. Neither game was even competitive in the second half.

Can we really take anything from either of those games? I honestly don't think you can. The two teams have changed the course of their seasons with their respective play in the tournaments.

The keys to beating Carolina, in my opinion, start and end with Caleb Love and RJ Davis. Brady Manek and Armando Bacot have been consistent all year, and are going to get theirs.

It's running Love and Davis off the three point line and defending the high ball screen. Also, when Love and Davis are allowed to get going, that opens up the paint more for Bacot as they become a more balanced offense.

The story isn't that much different for Duke. Banchero and Williams have been consistent all year and Roach has really come on strong the last six weeks; more so in the tournament. But Duke needs that X-factor.

We need another big game out of AJ or Wendell - someone has to step and play that roll for us. If we're hitting perimeter shots and getting consistent scoring, Duke wins this game.

Duke enters today's match-up not only as the favorite to win today at -4, but the Vegas odds-on favorite to take home the title at +155. If I was betting today, and man I wish I was, the over under is the way I'd go. It currently sits at 151 and the two teams have gone over that in both contests this year.

Tonight's Final Four tilt is scheduled to tip at 8:49 est and will air on TBS. It's likely to tip a little later than that depending on how long game one goes.

Duke - 85

North Carolina 80

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a single scenario where I would say a loss would not sting. This game particularly more. I say Duke continues their tournament improvements and moves on. If they limit their turnovers, it should be a favorable match up for Duke. But turnovers will be key, IMO. A lot of potential runs are ruined by turnovers.

Any other team I would say Duke wins hands down. But it's UNC, and you just never know. I just want tomorrow to be over with and for us to get a win. I don't buy the "whoever wins tomm. will be gassed and lose to Kansas Monday" bs. Us over Nova Monday night. Let me just say again; this season is already a success. Our best season since 2015, and a lot of talent has walked through that door.

Any other team I would say Duke wins hands down. But it's UNC, and you just never know. I just want tomorrow to be over with and for us to get a win. I don't buy the "whoever wins tomm. will be gassed and lose to Kansas Monday" bs. Us over Nova Monday night. Let me just say again; this season is already a success. Our best season since 2015, and a lot of talent has walked through that door.
I don’t buy the whoever wins will be gassed either.. we win today we’re cutting down the nets Monday. Book it!

I can't even believe I'm making a game day thread, during Coach K's final season, for the Final Four, against our bitterly hated arch rival. Yeah I said it, HATE.

I don't know who will remember, but on my initial game thread of the season I talked about how long I've been doing this for, and what an honor it is.

If memory serves, I took over for Roshanritter (there's a blast from the past - who remembers that name?) during the 2008-2009 season which would make this my fourteenth season having the honor of doing this all for you. Now, in K's last season, I get to do my third Final Four game day thread, and hopefully, my third National Championship game day thread.

To many of you it's trivial, meaningless, I get it. But for myself, and many of us that have been around a long time, there is something traditional about it. Something rhythmic. It sounds crazy (at least to my wife lol), but I truly appreciate the honor of being able to create these - and it's not lost on me in a moment like today's. The game day thread for a final four match-up, against our fiercely hated rival; knowing any game could be K's last.

Now, let's turn to tonight's epic match-up. We all know the magnitude of today's game. The school and fans of the school that win this game will be able to carry the weight of this one, well, forever. It's well documented the two teams have never met in the NCAA tournament but how fitting it is, that they meet during K's final run.

It's tough to glean a lot from the previous two games. Duke ran the Tar Heels off their own floor in early February by 20 points (87-67) and the Tar Heels proceeded to turn right around and hand it back to Duke, spoiling Coach K's final home game inside Cameron, 94-81. Neither game was even competitive in the second half.

Can we really take anything from either of those games? I honestly don't think you can. The two teams have changed the course of their seasons with their respective play in the tournaments.

The keys to beating Carolina, in my opinion, start and end with Caleb Love and RJ Davis. Brady Manek and Armando Bacot have been consistent all year, and are going to get theirs.

It's running Love and Davis off the three point line and defending the high ball screen. Also, when Love and Davis are allowed to get going, that opens up the paint more for Bacot as they become a more balanced offense.

The story isn't that much different for Duke. Banchero and Williams have been consistent all year and Roach has really come on strong the last six weeks; more so in the tournament. But Duke needs that X-factor.

We need another big game out of AJ or Wendell - someone has to step and play that roll for us. If we're hitting perimeter shots and getting consistent scoring, Duke wins this game.

Duke enters today's match-up not only as the favorite to win today at -4, but the Vegas odds-on favorite to take home the title at +155. If I was betting today, and man I wish I was, the over under is the way I'd go. It currently sits at 151 and the two teams have gone over that in both contests this year.

Tonight's Final Four tilt is scheduled to tip at 8:49 est and will air on TBS. It's likely to tip a little later than that depending on how long game one goes.

Duke - 85

North Carolina 80

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rosh!! He wanted a banger then we start to get them he leaves.. I guess his work here was completed

Drive the ball to the hole. Put Paulo on Black. If not he will help out freeing up Manek for a 3.
Mark and Theo need to stay within 3 feet of the basket. If we shut down Manek the guards will turn to
go one on one. Would like to see AJ and Paulo each shoot 12-15 shots. Got to block out.
88-78 Duke

Sorry if this is a long post but I have had a lot on my mind and I am finally posting. If i address a wide range of things, even things not specifically mentioned in thos thread.

As for the people eating crow and predicting doom and gloom after the ACC tournament, be gentle. I was one of them. The cheater two game, while sad, any Duke fan not denying their feelings might have exuded confidence going in, it did have a tough game written all over it. The most pressure and emotional game in Duke history was coupled with a Cheats team completely loose who was expected to lose and motivation on steroids - spoil Ks last home game. And also remember, going into the game, Cheats were squarely on the bubble (and maybe on the outside looking in) according to CBS bracketology. A loss might have meant the Cheats are not in the tournament. K is good, but who the hell thought this team would look completely different that way in a short time from March 12 to March 18?

As for not taking anything away from the other games, here are my thoughts. 1. Since we last met, who has been more impressive? Us and it might not be close. Both games we were ATROCIOUS to end the first half. Our end of halves in the sweet 16 and Elite 8 were good. USA Today said the Cheats embarrassed Duke in Cameron. Oh really? It took the Cheats playing other-worldly in the second half and it was still a one possession game with 5 left. Even back to the ACC tournament (other than games comfortably in command by VT and out of hand by us vs Fullerton and Arkansas), you have seen how the last 5 minutes in games have gone.

Part of Duke's success lately, especially in the last two games, is making the officials blow the whistle. Even I have seen some of our fouls called on the other guy and gone "really?" We caught a break on and-1s against TT. But, we spaced out the D to make things clear for the refs. We created great spacing and TT reached instead of moving the feet on D. Refs see that in the open, it will get called. We must keep up spacing and force those refs to call the fouls. For instance, look atour big and-1 in the final minutes against UNLV in 1991. That was a cheap foul. But we spaced UNLV out and we got the whistle. Great defensive teams usually clog things up and get away with crap because they in essence shield the ref. Duke made sure that sh!t was not happening against the supposed best defense in the countey in the S16.

People were questioning whether Duke's D would be good enough. I would like to see the numbers of Duke's defense in just the last 5 minutes sinceMarch 10. We may be near the top in the country.

Ok enough from me. Having said all this, this is a rivalry game. Anything can happen. Some little scrub nobody new existed is the x factor. Anything can happen.

As for drag on Monday if we win. First of all, Villanova may lose, but they will make it a grind. Second, I do not know if there is a better coach on 1 days rest in the history of the tournament.

Also I’m at Nationals in Florida and we finish tonight….I bought a Sweatshirt from the Duke store in 2009-2010 season…I wore it that year the entire final four and again in 2015….That sweatshirt is undefeated in Final Fours…

You bet your damn ass I packed it and it’s on the trip with me for tonight’s game!

Wish we had the early game. Let's just continue to play the ball we've been playing in this tournament. UNC is not going to roll over, but our best is better than their best, and even our good is better than their good. Take care of the ball, get AJ some open looks, and play our game. If so, Duke by double digits.

Duke 83
UNC 71

Reactions: christophero
Some reasons I think we will win tonight.
1. We have coach K. Davis has done a great job, no doubt, but K is a better coach. But if getting your team to play their best is a coach's job, it is hard to argue that Davis has not done a coach of the year type job.
2. We have more talent. We have more weapons. We are peaking at the right time. (to be fair so are they)
3. Coach K seems energized by this run. I have accused him of being stubborn and set in his ways recently, but it seems he is finally listening to me. :)
4. Roach playing at an all ACC level negates their big advantage at the point, as Love has generally outplayed Roach the last 2 years.
5. AJ has had a week to get healthy, and may have a big game today. I also like the way Williams, Banchero and Moore have looked. Keels looks like he is coming out of his slump, and to his credit is not taking 15 shots a game. I'm almost certain he has been told not to do this, as his high volume of shots was starting to affect us.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Wish we had the early game. Let's just continue to play the ball we've been playing in this tournament. UNC is not going to roll over, but our best is better than their best, and even our good is better than their good. Take care of the ball, get AJ some open looks, and play our game. If so, Duke by double digits.

Duke 83
UNC 71
I agree I prefer earlier games. Win or lose, I would sleep better if I could calm down after the game and with a game that ends later, I'll be up late regardless lol

Reactions: hart2chesson
I’m done with “keys to the game”, “gotta zero in on Manek”, “duke wins if”, and all other pregame thoughts and analysis. I’m ready for our guys to just take the floor and flat out whoop some ass

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT